Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Which would you rather use?

Okay so i have both the slp lid with a k&n filter and the k&n fipk2. I like the fipk2 cause well it looks pretty sweet but I've read that it sucks a lot of hot air in and it does get dirty quick for me. The slp lid well it just whatever to me and i do wanna do some nice paint scheme with it or something but i havent decided what i want. Anyways I'm pretty sure there isn't much or maybe any hp difference. So which would you use?

Pics of each:

I have seen a lot of the slp's... but non of the other. I willing to guess there is probably a reason.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    I have seen a lot of the slp's... but non of the other. I willing to guess there is probably a reason.
    The fipk2 is like $300 i think so that may be why Only reason i have it is cause it came with my car when i bought it

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I love the clean look of the lids...Volant and FIPK2 are not good looking imo.

Also, I think there is not much difference in hp numbers...I'd say lid is more.

I like the clean look of a nice lid. That other thing is just fugly and looks completely out of place.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

SLP lid looks much better.

black
    1999 camaro SS

your strut tower brace is bad ass, what company is that from?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

SLP

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    your strut tower brace is bad ass, what company is that from?
    Thanks, its from Hotchkis. Im not sure what the retail price on it is. I only have it cause i got it off a wrecked SS at a junkyard for $50

Yea i like the clean look of the lid too but the fipk2 looks like it really gets the ram air job done I really wanna paint my lid but idk what to do with it so it'll stand out but not so much.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Definitly the Lid. as said above...looks so much cleaner and not out of place.

silver
    2000 formula

i luvs my KN fipk2

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I really wanna paint my lid but idk what to do with it so it'll stand out but not so much.
    For ideas on that I can tell you what I did. I'm also more of a subtle person and don't like things to jump out too much.
    My wifes is silver like yours, and her car had a carbon fiber lid (from somebody, I don't know where or what) but it had some cracks in it I had to fix (stupid carbon fiber crap is brittle).
    After I fixed and sanded the cracks I had to paint it something to cover the repairs, so I just painted it body color (silver). It doesn't really stand out and kinda just blends with the rest of the car.

I say go with the SLP setup

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    For ideas on that I can tell you what I did. I'm also more of a subtle person and don't like things to jump out too much.
    My wifes is silver like yours, and her car had a carbon fiber lid (from somebody, I don't know where or what) but it had some cracks in it I had to fix (stupid carbon fiber crap is brittle).
    After I fixed and sanded the cracks I had to paint it something to cover the repairs, so I just painted it body color (silver). It doesn't really stand out and kinda just blends with the rest of the car.
    Yea i kinda wanted to do this but i was afraid it would stand out too much. Do you have any pics of it? I might add a Firebird on it too

Here you go, sorry for the delay, I had to go out and snap this one, not a great shot since it's sitting in the garage, hopefully it will help though.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Here you go, sorry for the delay, I had to go out and snap this one, not a great shot since it's sitting in the garage, hopefully it will help though.

Click for full size
    That looks pretty good, i just might start sanding mine here soon and throw on the fipk2 meanwhile

Thanks. Honestly I would have just painted it black, but I already had paint mixed and sitting around from when I made that shock tower brace and painted that silver, so I thought, why not.

In the end, nobody sees it anyway, the car is just a driver for my wife, I don't take it anywhere to show it, and if I did the hood would stay shut anyway

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

One of the few items from SLP worth a damn....the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    One of the few items from SLP worth a damn....the lid.
    Ya I run the SLP lid on our other SS, and the neck rubs the bottom of the hood, other than that I have no complaints.

The lid in the picture of my wifes car actually fits better and doesn't rub anything, but I have no idea who makes that one. It was on the car. I can tell you it's carbon fiber though, and that's my only complaint on that one.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ya I run the SLP lid on our other SS, and the neck rubs the bottom of the hood, other than that I have no complaints.

The lid in the picture of my wifes car actually fits better and doesn't rub anything, but I have no idea who makes that one. It was on the car. I can tell you it's carbon fiber though, and that's my only complaint on that one.
    I have the "Blackwing" SLP lid and mine doesn't fit "perfect", but I have no complaints with it either.

Thread Information