Would it be worth my wild to swap out my Edelbrock shorty's for Hooker longtubes?

I have a 1998 Camaro SS and have Edelbrock shorty headers with 2.5" Stainless Works catted y-pipe. I came across an excellent deal on a set of Hooker Longtubes. I was just wondering if going to the Longtubes and a 3" o/r y-pipe would be worth the time, money and effort? I don't want to do it if I will only will see like 10rwhp.

Please let me know before I invest my time & money.

Also, how long does it usually take to install a set of longtubes, considering it's your first time? I am mechanically inclined and have done it numerous times on Mustangs. This would just be my first on a Camaro.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Yes, it will be worth your 'while'. Since you're so mechanically inclined....4-8 hours seems to be the general time needed for such a project.
    Curtis: I got laid last night
    Curtis: 35 seconds
    Curtis: it was awesome

Red
    2001 ws6

yes, some people say on these cars shorties sometimes can run lower hp numbers than stock manifolds

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Definitely, long tubes are always better for performance than shorties. Long tubes alone should net you more than 10 HP. I think the general expectation is 15-20HP with headers, and a couple more ponies when you get them tuned in. Here's a pretty good guide http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html . Install time differs from person to person. Mine took about 3 hours, but I did not connect them to my duals (had an exhaust shop do that). I had a friend over, and a case of beer... Plan on it being an afternoon job so you aren't rushed.

SWEET.... thanks for the link. That some good info.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KIXASS View Post
    I have a 1998 Camaro SS and have Edelbrock shorty headers with 2.5" Stainless Works catted y-pipe. I came across an excellent deal on a set of Hooker Longtubes. I was just wondering if going to the Longtubes and a 3" o/r y-pipe would be worth the time, money and effort? I don't want to do it if I will only will see like 10rwhp.

Please let me know before I invest my time & money.

Also, how long does it usually take to install a set of longtubes, considering it's your first time? I am mechanically inclined and have done it numerous times on Mustangs. This would just be my first on a Camaro.
    Lose the ESH. They are junk, I have them also and they are way to restrictive. Replace them with some good long tubes. I think the stock manifolds are better then the shorties are. I got ARH, going on this winter.

Just ran my car last nite against my buddies 06 GTO, after 115 it just dosent pull like it did before the edelbrock shorties.

Thread Information