pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Will headers really help?

I have a 99 TA and I have thought about adding headers,but I don't see doing a cam or heads no time soon or not at all.What I want to know is will it be worth it too get the headers and go no farther than that. I don't race it on the track, but some times every now and than if some one pulls up on side of me going down the main streets, I will go a short distance just for the fun of it.I figure that I would be out of about $1,000 with a tune.What do you think?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I say get the headers and a nice Hooker or Magnaflow CB, ORY included and wait for the cam and tune down the line. My car is much quicker throughout the power band with the above mods.

2 is better than 1!!! noblesramair's Avatar

sunset orange
    2002 pontiac trans am WS6

definitly get the headers! You dont have to spend a grand either. Pacesetter is good headers they cost roughly 300.00. Then theres always stainless headers, much better cause they'll never rust BUT they are a lot more! Hooker (also have coated and uncoated headers), QTP, Kooks, Stainless Works these are all stainless steel, and they run from 700-over a grand! If you live and drive in a wet climate then id recommend getting the stainless. If you are on a tight budget or you only drive in nice weather or you dont get snow then id go with the pacesetter. Just my opinion.

Black
    1999 T/A

I went with the budget Flowtech's LT and ORY 350$ shipped.
    1999 Pontiac T/A A4

Headers, Gears, Sweet Thunder TD's, Suspension & Brake Upgrades, 2 Tone Interior, and Other Mics Parts
    ***PICS & MOD LIST***
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...allsigpic2.jpg

Sonoma GT w/416 L92/T56 HotRodV6's Avatar

Black
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT

Well dont the 98-99 cars have a bad rep about very restictive factory exhuast?

with that i would think that a good set of long tubes and a catback woudl be well worth the gains you see in both power and sound.

BTW: Do the 98-99 tubular f-body manifolds flow better or worse than later cast iron manifolds??

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

...get the headers. Might as well get a catback, too. Have you done anything on the intake side? At least get a lid.
    Last edited by GatorSS; 11-20-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

headers are great investment. If you can get the air in you need to get it out as well. Just remember that the size of the pipes inside diameter is MOST importnt. Usually longer headers improve low speed torque. Picking the right headers is actually something to think about. Primary pipe diameter is far more important to ultimate engine power than pipe length. Smaller header pipes incrase gas speed at low rpm which effectivly evacuate the chanber at low speeds, improved low spped torque. But resriction at high speeds. But as you said you do the occasional little race so that would be best choice. Large diameter pipes tend to lazy at lower engine speeds . lower exaust speeds allows portion of exaust gases to remain in chamber.-- Cant burn it twice so it contaminates incoming a/f charge.Match this with a short duration cam and a dual plane intake and you have a responive torquey, fun drive. Ron
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 11-08-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

M6 or A4?

speedo
    7/8's headers, Stock catback/muffler with a cutout ......that is the way to go if you plan on upgrading mods in the future. I wouldn't waste 200-1000 on a muffler that may get you 8hp. Get a intake or a cam instead depending on what your goals are..

Don't let anyone tell you them 7/8 are to big buddy had them on a 01 TA with a Fast intake and that thing wasn't to far behind my heads and cam car. That changed my mind about that being TO BIG... I told him all that before he got his mods and he proved me wrong.
    Last edited by speedo; 11-09-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Here's the deal. Compare the effort you're putting right now into breathing to, say... breathing in and out thru a coffee straw. Trying to move the same volume of air thru that coffee straw is gonna make you pass out, ain't it?

Adding lid/headers/ORYor hi-flow catted Y/CB is basically the same thing as tossing the coffee straw in the trash and breathing normally. You'll free up a lot of power, and once your PCM is tuned in for such mods, you'll make even more power, and your mpg will increase.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Won't running an ORY make the car emissions illegal? Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I just got my '01 SS and am considering getting headers/y-pipe to go with the Corsa catback it already has and the K&N and box lid I'm putting on this weekend.

Also, if anybody knows, is there any validity to the VR Velocity Stack thing? I saw it advertised on TByrne and wondered if it's worth it. It's cheap.

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Anyone have before/after dyno numbers for a car with headers added ONLY? I see a lot of positive comments here, but no power gain numbers.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Shpoone
    Anyone have before/after dyno numbers for a car with headers added ONLY? I see a lot of positive comments here, but no power gain numbers.
    I would say that headers would be good for 15-20HP (tuned) untuned will be less but i'm just going on the info i have. they free up alot of air and gives more power!

Also remember as you add more mods the mods you have will increase in effency also providing more power..

I also would like headers come spring. And Intake ? for a 99 SS M6 what intake should I get. Stock heads and cam with slp air lid and loudmouth.
    thanks

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Off topic, but you'll see about 15 more hp with an LS6 intake, skar.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I dyno'd 307 rwhp with catback and lid. With just the addition of FLP LT headers(bought them used for $400) I dyno'd again and was at 118(don't have the dyno sheet here but is pretty accurate). On the dyno I used the Predator tuner to adjust A/F from 10.8:1 to 12.9:1 and brought rwhp up to around 345. Like I said I don't have my dyno sheets here, but the gain was around 33-35 rwhp. With a A4 my best bang for the $ was a 3400 stall converter, dropped 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile time and dropped my 60 foot from mid to low 1.8's to 1.70-1.72's.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 11-23-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

whats a good deal on the entire system (headers, catted y pipe)??
    any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by adham
    whats a good deal on the entire system (headers, catted y pipe)??
    any suggestions?
    Dynatech SuperMaxx Header System (98-02 LS1 F-Body )

Dynatech's SuperMaxx Header System for the LS1 Camaro and Firebird is incredible. It comes with everything you need for a complete, quality header system. Stainless steel $1295.00 I think at Jeggs

Thread Information