Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 Convertib

Will 85mm OEM MAF work with 1998 Camaro?

Hello All,

I just bought a Mass Air Flow Sensor, GM/Delphi PN 15904068. I believe it is the stock MAF for several Vettes and other GM cars. It was advertised that it would fit 1998 - 2002 Camaro and Firebird. I saw a post on another site indicating that it is not compatible with the computer on the 1998 Camaro? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
    Bill

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I would think it would work but may require tuning to work properly.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know the 85mm Z06 works on a fbody( ws6store has the maf and adapter plug )and my tune told me I could use a 90mm Delphi vette maf but some tuning would need to be done.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

I'm pretty sure that after GM discontinued the 4th gen MAF, the larger Z06 MAF became the standard "one size fits all" as that's all that GM sells now. They list it as being the MAF for the 4th gen now.
    Supposed to be a plug/play type of deal, and I'm not sure how or why. I can't imagine throwing that on and expecting the MAF tables to be okay.

Frost would be the man to ask that question, I'm sure he's seen this many times, since the original MAF's have been replaced with this Z06 unit for a couple years now.

Black
    2000 SS

Yes it will work.... Alot of people use it because it tunes real easy compared to the after market MAFs
    1967 Camaro - LS1 T56 project
    2003 Z06 - Procharged and LTs
    2001 Honda Civic EX - DD
    2005 Kawaski KFX400
    2000 Camaro SS m6 - 523rwhp 468rwtq - (Sold)

red
    2000 C5

I bought a 85mm screen MAF used on trucks. I just had to remap my MAF table with HP TUner

Black
    1999 camaro

Yes it will work but you need to get it tuned and your not really gonna notice any difference unless your flowing some serious air.
    When I bought my car it had one and i put a stock maf back on it and it runs smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999slpss View Post
    Yes it will work but you need to get it tuned and your not really gonna notice any difference unless your flowing some serious air.
    When I bought my car it had one and i put a stock maf back on it and it runs smoother.
    It doesn't matter if you are flowing serious air or not anymore. If you need a new MAF it's the only one offered now. You get the larger Z06 unit or nothing.
    The real question for the original poster is if it will work on his 98. Can he get away with it? According to GM it's supposed to be a bolt on deal that comes with an adapter to somehow convert it to work properly without a tune on a 4th gen.
    Whether that is correct or not I can't say. I'd still feel the need to throw the laptop on there to check things. I can't imagine it would be exactly as before.

Silver

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not trying to increase the MAF flow/size... I thought I was buying a stock 1998 one due to a poor description on eBay. Trying to see if this will work for me or not.

I need to get learned on tuning anyways... is the HP Tuner interface and SW the best to go with? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=3334

Thanks!
    Bill

No big deal, I know Frost has answered these questions before on that LS6 MAF since it's now the replacement for all 4th gen LS1's.
    The whole design was changed, they no longer have the little heated wire in the middle and the screens are gone. Just has that funny looking square card where the wire used to be.

I can't find any of the posts that refer back to this at all, I suck at searching. I also remember a few of the members here going through exactly what you are,,,and asking the same questions,,,,where are they now when you need them

As far as tuning, HPtuner seems to be the favorite among people here. I use it and it's been great. Plenty of helpfull people here and alot of support on HPtuners website as well.

Black
    1999 camaro

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought he was asking if it improved performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999slpss View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood. I thought he was asking if it improved performance.
    No need to appologize, I wasn't trying to come off harsh. It's all good

Black
    1999 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    No need to appologize, I wasn't trying to come off harsh. It's all good
    I know man. It's good.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The 85mm MAFs were indeed OEM parts in trucks and Vettes alike. They report a higher frequency at a given airflow than the OEM F-body MAF, so simply installing one will COST you HP. I say that because your WOT will be significantly more rich (as will the rest of the range) than it was with the OEM counterpart in place because of the higher reported output.

Cliff notes: you can run an 85MM MAF without tuning, but it will COST you HP. Getting tuned for it; no worries.

Silver

Thanks for all the info, guys. One more question - is the stock MAF from 2000-2002 Camaro the same exact unit as 1998? I'm looking to buy the exact unit that came stock on my 98.

Black
    1999 camaro

MAF is the same from 94-02.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

This thread brings back memories, went through the same issue replacing ours: Mystery MAF You have a different P/N than the 85 mm unit I ended up with too. I think mine is P/N 19207203.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    This thread brings back memories, went through the same issue replacing ours: Mystery MAF You have a different P/N than the 85 mm unit I ended up with too. I think mine is P/N 19207203.
    GM always seems to be changing their part numbers.

See I knew there was some people on here that went through this, I just couldn't remember who,,,thanks Jeff.

Silver

Thanks guys!

Red
    98 Trans Am

I have an SLP MAF, although ive never had any issues with it, (got it for free so no money spent) Ive been upgrading my intake with LS6 stuff and was wondering since the LS6 is 85mm and the SLP is 85, would I benefit from switching to the LS6 85 MAF since it also has an IAT sensor built in it too (for later stuff) Theres a harness aparently that i can get that adapts the LS1 harness to the LS6 MAF. just wondering. Like i said before, ve been running my car with an SLP MAF for 4 years now with no prob with no tune yet. put an 80mm TB in last week too and cars running fine so far with no tune. Im about as far as i can go without a tune. Gonna have to send my PCM off soo to get tuned by frost.

ALso, soes it matter where the IAT sensor is? is it better in the Airlid or the MAF? or is it a mute point?
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Thread Information