Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

THIS is why i dont want and SLP lid, FTRA, or SSRA

I was bored and cleaning the car today, figured id take a look at the filter and airbox, make sure theyre clean...and this is what i found.

20120402_123108.jpg

Yeah, big foil wrapper got sucked up, no telling how long its been there.

Lasr time i pulled my filter, it had so much road grime than it looked like it had been caked with potting soil, you couldnt see any of the ribs, and once clean it was such a difference that my PCM had to relearn idle. i pull it this time and find this....I'm ready to install my Volant.....

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I posted a thread a while back about the volant and wanting it over my lid and had so many people bashing the volant and K and N style intake. You never know what is getting rammed up into those things

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I've done a LOT of research, and a lot of people do like the bash the Volant, but mostly for fitment issues, which I'm prepared to deal with.

As far as HP, rating

FTRA/SSRA
    Black wing
    SLP
    Volant.

and the K&N is in the somewhere...just seems like it would get a lot more hot air.

But in the grand scale of things, the difference between these intakes is little more than negligible, and im not trying to squeeze of every HP.

I just like the idea of pulling cleaner air from the hood scoop, rather than up off the road.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

What you're getting there by cutting the box is a higher concentrate of air in one spot. It's doing what the mod is intended to do....it's funneling air up into the bottom of the box. Yes.....you're filter will get dirtier but it's gonna get dirty no matter how you do it. It's just forced into there more coming off the air dam. I have no proof or no way of proving it but I'd almost bet that the air coming off the dam isn't a whole lot nastier than the air a few feet up. Cars in front of you are gonna whip that stuff around. Ever been behind a car on a dusty gravel road? The air is pretty consistently shitty until you get well above the height of the car.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

very good point....

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

hey man isn't it good that your filter caught that wrapper? Why wouldn't you want those other lids?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

because if i had something like the K&N or Volant, the wrapper would have never been sucked up in the first place....unless it got sucked into my hoodscoop

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm guessing it got sucked into your hood-scoop.. unless you still have that grille on it, than i just don't see it happening. But I don't imagine how different air lids could determine what gets sucked in there. If not through the hood-scoop, than how could it possibly have got in there?? lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

From underneath.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

we're talking about the free ram air mod correct? Is the suction that powerful to suck up a wrapper from the ground? Lol stupid questions but i'm curious

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's not suction that does it.....your air dam under the front of your car will direct it up past the radiator and into the bottom of the box.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Got it, thank you

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i took my air dam off over a month ago, lol...it must have been there awhile

98 Formula
    06 duramax

even without the air dam you'll get some air forced up through there. What kinda snack was it and were there any left in the bag?

I would put that air dam back on there if I were you......Texas tends to get pretty warm and believe it or not that'll make a substantial difference on how your car cools.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Yeah Ill probably do it soon, but Ive had the front end off twice since valentines day, just haven't gotten around to it.

Theres also the 3 holes where the bumper curves up under the car, i need to find those bolts before the air damn will do any good

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

20120225_130529.jpg

the three circled...it hangs down far enough that it would deflect air down before the air dam could pull it back up

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    even without the air dam you'll get some air forced up through there. What kinda snack was it and were there any left in the bag?

I would put that air dam back on there if I were you......Texas tends to get pretty warm and believe it or not that'll make a substantial difference on how your car cools.
    That is the way I understand it. And if you have ground effects on the front end, it's recommended you have an aftermarket air dam to further increase the air flow.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

reason #2......pulled out the SLP duct work today and there was so much crap should between it and A/C condenser..... it took me longer to clean that out than it did to swap intakes, lol...Maybe my A/C will work decent now

the Volant went on just fine, but my hood is kinda hard to shut....but i take that as a sign that its sealing up good....ill do some testing though

Looks normal to me. That's why there is a filter there, it did it's job, nothing to worry about.

You just need to clean things more often is the way I see it

Actually since these cars are bottom feeders (ie: cooling) you really need to take the radiator loose (I check mine every 6 months) to remove any debri that finds it's way between the condensor and the radiator. You'll find leaves in there, candy wrappers, and any other garbage that may lay on the ground. It's just the nature of the beast. You can call it a poorly designed cooling system if you wish, but it's what you have to deal with.

The free ram air mod is done on both of my cars and I don't have an issue with it. I pop the lid every other oil change and service the filter. Piece of cake.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Well I put on my Volant yesterday, so its a non issue, lol.

But ill def be checking that out from now on

Thread Information