nbm
    99 z28

why can't we buy a complete true dual system?

I know bassani makes a kit that bolts up to the stock manifolds. so why is'nt there a kit that bolts up to lontubes? seems to me with a lil fab work you could make a bassani system work with long tubes. If I knew anything about bending and welding pipes I would have tried it myself. seems like its no problem to manufacture a dumped system so why not just add in the rest OVER the axle?

just wondering. bet something like that would sell fast. it seems most all of us with 4th gen fbodys would like to have a true dual over the axle setup. myself for one, but I cant seem to find a shop in the area that wants to do it for me.

thoughts on this?

Red
    2001 ws6

have you looked into TSP?

nbm
    99 z28

yeah they have the rumbler but thats just a dumped setup. I was talking about over the axle. I suppose you could take it somewhere to finish it but around here thats where the shops tend to say" no we dont want to" or "cant do." at least thats what i've run into. I had a few tell me they cant do anything to my system except change the muffler. I've since put on long tubes and a magnaflow myself. I like the sound but just not quite what I wanted.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

My shop is going to take it over the axle for me and do all the work!!!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I broke down and bought a Mufflex 4" Exhaust. In theory, it's almost the same as duals, in at least the flow numbers department...

Single 3" = 3.14159 x 3^2 = 28.27 square inches

Dual 2.5" = 2 x (3.14159 x 2.5^2) = 39.27 square inches

Single 4" = 3.14159 x 4^2 = 50.27 square inches

Dual 3" = 2 x (3.14159 x 3^2) = 56.55 square inches

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

If you lived in Oklahoma id hook you up. If I had an f body for a day or two I could build a template and produce them for you guys. I built one for a member on here from OK but I didnt have the car long enough to make a template, I had to just build it and send him down the road.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I broke down and bought a Mufflex 4" Exhaust. In theory, it's almost the same as duals, in at least the flow numbers department...

You wont regret the 4". I have a custom fabbed 4", over axle with a 4" DMH e-cutout. Loud as hell is a understatement, and it would be hard to beat the system with any TD or Y-Pipe setup. Mufflex makes a good system, you'll be happy with it.

nbm
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    If you lived in Oklahoma id hook you up. If I had an f body for a day or two I could build a template and produce them for you guys. I built one for a member on here from OK but I didnt have the car long enough to make a template, I had to just build it and send him down the road.
    yeah, I dont understand why these companys like texas speed and bassani etc. dont make a complete system. I'd buy one. I would consider leaving my car with someone to make a system. Oklahoma is just too far away. I'm just surprised no one has done it yet.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    You wont regret the 4". I have a custom fabbed 4", over axle with a 4" DMH e-cutout. Loud as hell is a understatement, and it would be hard to beat the system with any TD or Y-Pipe setup. Mufflex makes a good system, you'll be happy with it.
    I agree same reason I went with the Mufflex 3.5" setup
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

green
    98 formula

I did my own exhaust, and since mine is a turbo car I used single 3.5" over the axle. What you will need is exhaust bends, a way to cut it, and a welder.
    Last edited by joejenkinsglass; 01-09-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Bassani.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyz28 View Post
    I know bassani makes a kit that bolts up to the stock manifolds. so why is'nt there a kit that bolts up to lontubes? seems to me with a lil fab work you could make a bassani system work with long tubes. If I knew anything about bending and welding pipes I would have tried it myself. seems like its no problem to manufacture a dumped system so why not just add in the rest OVER the axle?

just wondering. bet something like that would sell fast. it seems most all of us with 4th gen fbodys would like to have a true dual over the axle setup. myself for one, but I cant seem to find a shop in the area that wants to do it for me.

thoughts on this?

You pretty much answered your own question.

Yes Bassani makes the kit. It does go to manifolds,,,but cutting the system back and hooking it to long tube headers would be rather easy, not that much fab work at all.

If you really want a nice true dual system to the bumpers then Bassani is it. Just cut what you don't need for the headers, make a flange, a little welding perhaps and you're done.
    Any bending that may be necessary wouldn't be much of a bend. And to keep it all mandrel,,,I would just purchase a couple pieces of mandrel pre-bent pipe sections from summit, cut to fit and weld as necessary. If you have a welder your car wouldn't even have to leave the garage.

Taking it to a shop will get you crush bends, and mixed with a nice mandrel bent system looks a bit hacky in my opinion. But it is an option.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Your math is off a little. Should be pie x r^2. You put in diameter.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Your math is off a little. Should be pie x r^2. You put in diameter.
    Damn, you're right...I'm getting rusty now that I'm done with college

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You pretty much answered your own question.

Yes Bassani makes the kit. It does go to manifolds,,,but cutting the system back and hooking it to long tube headers would be rather easy, not that much fab work at all.

If you really want a nice true dual system to the bumpers then Bassani is it. Just cut what you don't need for the headers, make a flange, a little welding perhaps and you're done.
    That's exactly what I have done to mine... First it was bolted to my manifolds then I upgraded to longtubes so I got the system fab to make it fit to my longtubes.

nbm
    99 z28

fabbing the bassani system is what I thought would work too. I just have no way to do it my self. no welder, dont know how to weld anyway. every shop I had talked to didnt want any part of it and I did sugest fabing the bassani system. that didnt fly well either. so I ended up doing long tubes into a tsp y to a magnaflow myself. I just thought it would be nice if you could just by pre made piping for duals for long tubes. I could cut peices and clamp every section I guess but I know it would look like crap. metal fabrication is not something I'm good at.

maybe its just me. I think it would be nice to able too buy it and slap it together myself with out the headache of calling every shop around tryin to find somebody to hook me up.

Thread Information