Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

who's installed their own headers?

I've had my headers for several weeks and i'm dying to get them on. My dad doesn't want anything to do with installing them and I doubt i could do it on my own. He said he would pay for them to get installed but every place I've taken it to has asked for $500 or more. I really don't know what to do anymore...

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Installed a few sets now... not HARD.. just time consuming.. if you have a good floor jack.. a few jack stands.. a set of sockets, gear wrenches, a wobble extension, some WD40/PB Blaster, a case of beer, and an extra pint of blood.. you'd be fine.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

3 of us did mine on a lift----never again......will pay....[actually not that hard]
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Artic White
    2002 Z28

I just put my 1st set on a couple of months ago it took about 4 hours. It was me and my dad and it wasnt hard at all.( had a lift at the body shop we work at ) The only thing that got me was some of the bolts on the headers are VERY hard to get to . The ones on the back took forever for me to get. Its not that hard, DONT WASTE MONEY , have fun, learn something new . You will LOVE em.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

$500.00 will be a good start on your other mods that you WILL want sooner than later.. save the money, learn something, and be proud to say you installed them.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Just did my first set.Not that hard but time consuming.In my garage on jack stands worked ok.But these were OBX and the fit was perfect so they went in easy with the car up on 6 ton stands not set to the limit(in other words,not that high) Took me four days taking my time,only working from 8-5 and some running to get stuff .But man did it sound SWEET!!!

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yeah, he won't have any probs with Pacesetters either.. popped right in!

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

They are not hard to install but you must have patience and a extra body would be good as well. If you don't know how to install them go on www.installuniveristy.com and they have step by step instructions on how to install them with pics. Good luck parter.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    They are not hard to install but you must have patience and a extra body would be good as well. If you don't know how to install them go on www.installuniveristy.com and they have step by step instructions on how to install them with pics. Good luck parter.
    Lol.. man.. a step by step guide would have been nice the first time.. lol.. oh well. It was def a good learning experience though.....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Installed a few sets now... not HARD.. just time consuming.. if you have a good floor jack.. a few jack stands.. a set of sockets, gear wrenches, a wobble extension, some WD40/PB Blaster, a case of beer, and an extra pint of blood.. you'd be fine.
    Ditto, emphasis on good sockets and gear wrenches. You will encounter lots of cuts on your hands as well, but the pain is worth the gain
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Ditto, emphasis on good sockets and gear wrenches. You will encounter lots of cuts on your hands as well, but the pain is worth the gain
    Yup.. hense the "extra pint of blood" needed before hand.. lol.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I used some rubber gloves. I HIGHLY recommend using a lift or don't bother...

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I used some rubber gloves. I HIGHLY recommend using a lift or don't bother...
    Eh.. thats cheating.. LOL. You learn a skill to be able to wiggle around under a car that is only 22" off the ground.. Plus that was extra money I didn't have... so as others have said.. it can be done.. done 3 of them that way myself... just a jack and a set of stands...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I just looked all over the site and didn't find any write up for a long tube header install.

These shops are asking for two much, one of them said they'd do the headers for $500 and the spark plugs for another $100!! I'll have to pass on that one. I'm going to offer my friends dad some more money to help me on the install, cuz my dad's not interested in doing it.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I just looked all over the site and didn't find any write up for a long tube header install.

These shops are asking for two much, one of them said they'd do the headers for $500 and the spark plugs for another $100!! I'll have to pass on that one. I'm going to offer my friends dad some more money to help me on the install, cuz my dad's not interested in doing it.
    this is what I found when I got stuck. http://projectcamaro.com/headerinstall.htm

by the way once you've got the factory manifolds off, spark plugs will be as easy as it gets unless the engine is out of the car. Also once you've got long tubes installed spark plugs are really easy to get to.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Eh.. thats cheating.. LOL. You learn a skill to be able to wiggle around under a car that is only 22" off the ground.. Plus that was extra money I didn't have... so as others have said.. it can be done.. done 3 of them that way myself... just a jack and a set of stands...
    would you believe it took me like 25hrs straight to do it... WITH A LIFT?! By the way I used the lift for free, it is a good friend of mine's brother's shop. and I'd rather not bother do it your way.I didn't know to get all the fancy swivel sockets and all those high tech things hahaha I used regular ass wrenches and LOTS OF PATIENCE!

red
    1999 trans am convert

On the bright side,I am now enjoying the most incredible sounding ride I ever could of imagined!The install was more than worth the trouble!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    On the bright side,I am now enjoying the most incredible sounding ride I ever could of imagined!The install was more than worth the trouble!
    Mine didn't sound that different at first. I've even cranked it next to a bone stock SS and they sounded the same. We revved and that's when you could tell who had headers and who didn't

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

When I fired mine up the first time (in a one car garage with about 8" clearance on each side... you FELT it.. then revving it sounded SWEET! If I'm parked next to ANY 4th gen with their alarm set... I will set it off everytime I start the car, guaranteed.....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I did mine myself, no problem. I had the rear axle on jackstands and the front end on ramps. I didn't find it had at all, it just took some time, especially putting in all the header bolts. That takes a while, especially on the passenger side.

Thread Information