Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

What Should I Do!!!

ok so here is the deal...i'm getting LTs and an ORY...a tuner recommended i get American Racing or LG headers but after putting money down on a house and paying for school i'm limited to about $500-600 for headers and ORY...he suggested i go for the hooker LTs 1 7/8"...i have a pretty much stock 2000 LS1...all i got is a lid and magnaflow catback...he said the Pacesetter primary collectors suck but that if i wanted i could go with those and sell them later when i get some cash.

Oh yeah he also said i should get any header uncoated...he said they flow worse coated and that when tuned you cant really get all of the power out of them...this guy has his own shop and mainly tunes corvettes...he said he has tuned over 2000 LSX's...anyway the reason why he says i should get them uncoated its becuase the heat may cause detonation...in his experience with coated headers he has had to tune for detonation and thus cannot tune to get the most power out of the headers...any thoughts on this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And one last question...I have been looking into electric cutouts and i think i might just order some soon...with my setup of most likely either Pacesetter or Hooker LTs, ORY and Magnaflow catback is it worth it?? i though about welding 2 electric cutouts to the ORY right after they connect to the LTs...what do you guys think?? would i see any difference in power and/or acceleration??

Pacesetters,
    oh and that dude is a fn idiot.

Stay away from him and do some research on your own. There is TOO much good info on this site to rely on one person, let alone this guy. Hit the search button !

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

This is what he says:

One of the biggest things I look for on header design is the type of collectors they use. Most of the normal header company's that have been in the business for years, like to cut corners and use the cheaper style lower flow collectors... Basically all the tubes are cut straight off at the end of the primaries before going into the collector. I'm not a fan of those because the air has no direction after the primaries, and can go any which way it wants. Nicer headers will have a "scavenger spike" inside the collector between the 4 primaries. This helps direct the air flow to the center of the collector... getting it out of the header with the least amount of restriction possible.

This is the kind of collector you'll see on a good quality header like American Racing, or LG. It's a merge collector that shrinks down right after the primaries then goes back up to the size of your exhaust, essentially speeding up the air flow in the exhaust, and in turn causing your car to make more power.

This is just my experience from what I've seen in making headers. Another thing we could go into is coatings, and how much I dislike them on headers Ceramic coated headers always seem to cause detonation. Why? Well everybody jumps on this bandwagon of wanting to keep underhood temps down. Which is great, I love it, whatever you can do to keep underhood temps down is going to help make the motor produce more power. But what we're doing by ceramic coating the headers is we are locking that heat inside the exhaust... Not allowing it to dissipate... This heat now acts as an agent in producing detonation. Almost every car I've ever tuned that had ceramic coated headers, was not able to take as much ignition timing as a car with uncoated stainless steel headers. So the power was greatly reduced because instead of tuning for all out power, I had to tune for detonation. Extra fuel, and less timing... Things that have a great effect on what kinds numbers your car will put down on the dyno, and at the track.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I ask this same question on LS1Tech and someone recommended XS LT Headers over the Pacesetters...he said they were of better quality since they were stainless, cost less than the Pacesetters and that they perform on par if not better than the Psetters...anyone know anything about these so called XS headers?? I did a google search and only came up on ricer forums that are running these headers.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Here is the link for the so called XS headers that one guy told me about...$550 shipped for stainless steel off the guy on LS1Tech...anyone have these?? Should i get these or Psetters??

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732803

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

anyone have any advice?? i'll be getting some LTs next week and I want to pick up best bang for buck headers

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28 View Post
    Here is the link for the so called XS headers that one guy told me about...$550 shipped for stainless steel off the guy on LS1Tech...anyone have these?? Should i get these or Psetters??

i have these on my car, but i haven't got it all together to hear yet, i have the pacesetter off road y pipe with borla cat back, nice fit, looks clean. my car is lowered and the don't hang much lower if any then my mac mids did. the xs were out about 1-2 years ago and they were the best/hottest seller for the price at the time. the company had them for sale i ebay for 199, or 299. when they first came out. i would look for a good set if i was you. and go from there. hope this helps a little.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

check ebay to i know the company for the xs's doesn't sell them themselves any more, but they do go through someone on there. and sometimes they offer the ory for a nice discount if you buy at the same time.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

i'll start looking on ebay and ask around to see if i can find who is selling them on there...thanks a lot man

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i think this is what the first owner put on my car. i like them lol
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

he suggested i go for the hooker LTs 1 7/8"...i have a pretty much stock 2000 LS1...all i got is a lid and magnaflow catback...
    When I bought my headers, I was told 1 3/4" for stock, 1 7/8" for a built top end set-up. I was told not adhering to this may result in more hurtful more than helpful effects if anything. I have no facts to back this up, just what I was told.

Thread Information