Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

What Intake/TB Combo?

I have a stock 98 LS1 engine, and i plan on keeping it stock with no heads or cam due to my 135xxx miles. At the earliest, 3 or 4 years from now i'll get a stroker to replace it, but for now i'd like to get the best intake manifold and throttle body combo for the stock motor i have now. I just want the best bolt ons i can get. I know to go with FAST for the manifold, but which one would work the best on my stock motor? 78, 90, 92, 102? Should i get the FAST TB to go with the manifold as well?

Red
    2001 ws6

no point in any of those........ls6 intake with a pp tb.....no sense spending a grand with stock internals

2000 Camaro B4C

for the long term goals you have of going with a stroker i would say a FAST 92 or 102 would be the best for you. its gunna be quite a bit of money up front but in the end you will be happy.
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well with that long of a wait...i would hold on on the intake manifold just yet..a new style will come out more than likely.

however with the available options now..id still say a ls6. you can run it for 3 years and sell it for no loss.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post

however with the available options now..id still say a ls6. you can run it for 3 years and sell it for no loss.
    every thread i read where u or me comment in.....its always the same haha

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    every thread i read where u or me comment in.....its always the same haha
    lol

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

What kind of difference is there between the FAST 92 and the 102?

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    theres no point in either of those on a stock ls1 with no cam/head work done. putting a 92 or 102 on your car is just guna make it run like shit. save your money and when you have the money to bore/stoke it then you invest in one of those. but for now your just wasting your money

2000 Camaro B4C

10mm lol, but not a big enough difference for everyone that has FAST 90/92's to run out and upgrade

NBM
    99 TA

Also you would have to upgrade the fuel rails to ls2 to run a fast 102...like mentioned already, for a stock ls1, I would just pick up a used ls6 intake for now.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

would i need anything (like fuel rails) for the 92mm FAST?

red
    2000TA

stock ls1 fuel rails will work on the fast 78/90/92mm.go with ls6 intake.

NBM
    99 TA

The main reason most of us are saying to go with the LS6 is because you don't plan on doing H&C or the stroker for several years. You can pick up a used LS6 for like $300 vs a used fast 90/92 for $600-800 vs a Fast 102/TB for $1400 + LS2 fuel rails for ~$200. On a stock ls1, you would see minimal gains going from the LS6 to a Fast.
    By the time you decide to do internal motor work, the Fast 90/92/102 will most likely have dropped in price or a new design will have come out. At that time, you could sell your LS6 and recuperate most of the $300 investment.

Plus if you decide to switch engine blocks (ie: LS2 or LS3) instead of doing the stroker, they require a different porting on the Fast 102...so you would have to sell your LS1 Fast to get one to match the new engine.
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 04-15-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

I really appreciate all of that information, it really opens my eyes to the persistance of the LS6 over the FAST. The reason i really want to go with FAST, is because even if it IS a minimal gain, it is better overall than the LS6 on a stock motor. I don't plan on doing a motor swap any time soon, so i really want to MAX out my car with the bolt ons i buy. So, every little bit counts haha.

NBM
    99 TA

I really appreciate all of that information, it really opens my eyes to the persistance of the LS6 over the FAST. The reason i really want to go with FAST, is because even if it IS a minimal gain, it is better overall than the LS6 on a stock motor. I don't plan on doing a motor swap any time soon, so i really want to MAX out my car with the bolt ons i buy. So, every little bit counts haha.
    You Might see ~10 hp extra for a FAST over a LS6 on stock LS1 (alittle more if its ported)...if you can justify the extra money then go for it...but remember those prices I was listing was just for the intake...you would also need a larger TB to go with the FAST...and to maximize it, a larger opening airlid and MAF, plus you should probably get a tune (from what I've read) if going to a larger Fast

Don't get me wrong, Im in the market for a FAST combo since I am doing a H&C right now...but have been using an LS6 for 6+ yrs and have been pretty happy with it and if I can make myself pull the trigger for a FAST, Im sure I will be ok with sticking with the current intake. Just saying that money could be better spent else where...ie: suspension parts (doesn't matter how much rwhp you have if you cant put it down)
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 04-15-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Red
    2001 ws6

I really appreciate all of that information, it really opens my eyes to the persistance of the LS6 over the FAST. The reason i really want to go with FAST, is because even if it IS a minimal gain, it is better overall than the LS6 on a stock motor.
    the "minimal" gain is your car is going to run like shit......theres no point to doing this, the ls6 is a great upgrade over the ls1 intake and you can buy a used one in great condition for about $300

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    You Might see ~10 hp extra for a FAST over a LS6 on stock LS1 (alittle more if its ported)...
    Just saying that money could be better spent else where...ie: suspension parts (doesn't matter how much rwhp you have if you cant put it down)
    10 hp over a ls6 intake? if he puts a sticker on his car will he get another 5?
    the part about suspension mods might be the most intellegent post of the thread.....all sarcasim aside

red
    2000 Z28

The FAST is NOT BETTER than the LS6 on a bone stock 135k engine with original valve springs and rev limiter, you will "FEEL" no gain between the LS6 and FAST. If you're spending alot of time in the 5000+ rpm range where the FAST starts to shine, you're going to drop a valve when not if one of the original springs fail. In addition, the stock cam will choke the capability of the FAST.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    the "minimal" gain is your car is going to run like shit......theres no point to doing this, the ls6 is a great upgrade over the ls1 intake and you can buy a used one in great condition for about $300

10 hp over a ls6 intake? if he puts a sticker on his car will he get another 5?
    the part about suspension mods might be the most intellegent post of the thread.....all sarcasim aside
    I'm just listing what I have seen on posts in the past, I've seen other ppl say thats what they picked up on a bolt-on vehicle (and yes I realized that after typing that his car is stock, not bolt-on currently)...sorry if I was mistaken.

Thread Information