SOM
    2002 SS

What does this ticking sounds like to you?? VIDEO !!

I made this video to help the shoppe get a listen on the ticking. I just installed crane 1.8 rrs and 918s and this ticking started after about a week or so and has gotten to this point. Any thoughts? Not pointing fingers at the shoppe they are GREAT I just thought maybe since I made the video I could share it and get some opinions and/or ideas.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziSUEBwoFNk[/ame]

black
    2002 firebird trans am

sounds like a normal lifter tick...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

check your preload.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

i'm pretty sure lifters ticking isn't a normal condition.

Most ls1s have the famous "ls1 tick". My car does it at idle, then fades away.

SOM
    2002 SS

I would almost say its normal because im familiar with the ls1 sounds but this ticking was a week after the roller rocker installa and it was not there at all to being there and noticeable. when Im in a drivethrough and theres a wall beside me its very apparent it's too loud to be normal. I can still hear the piston slap on cold starts and when leaving from a stop when the motor gets loaded at low rpm and that is a different sound for sure.

thanks for the input guys I am scheduling a re-adjustment on the rockers or just a check up to see what we can find.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Most ls1s have the famous "ls1 tick". My car does it at idle, then fades away.
    the tick you are referring to is caused by the oiling taking a long time to get to the top end and lube things..there is that and piston slap

SOM
    2002 SS

Video was taken after approx 1.5 hrs of driving. If oil isnt getting there by then...

I had a nice cam and shaft rockers w/solid roller setup on my vette and it didnt tick this loud..
    Last edited by 5abivt; 10-27-2010 at 09:11 AM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Video was taken after approx 1.5 hrs of driving. If oil isnt getting there by then...

I had a nice cam and shaft rockers w/solid roller setup on my vette and it didnt tick this loud..
    i wasn't referring to you. your issue like i said sounds like a preload issue.

sunburst orange
    2002 camaro ss

Ticking

Sounds like the typical GM Singer sewing machine, typically after installing a cam and new springs noise will be presen. with the 918's you now have a higher spring rate and seat pressure, there are a lot of variables to this: spring seat pressure, open pressure, lift of cam as well as duration and lobe seperation. Have you installed headers on the car, the noise that I'm hearing will be normal and no concern of mine. You can go back and check the rockers and make sure they are adjusted properly and the engine needs to be cold when it is done, another question I have and could answer myself if i Had the cam specs as well as the pushrod length, but the question is why did you or the shop choose 1.8 ratio rockers.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

take better video from outside the car in the engine bay and then underneath just behind the front tires. it's not lifter tick/tap.

i'm saying rod bearing(s), speaking from personal experience after tearing down my engine thinking it was either lifters/rockers, or pushrods, and ended up being multiple spun rod bearings. and my engine sounded exactly like his. noise never went away no matter if the car was warmed up or not and was heard throughout the entire RPM band. thing was with mine, never burned oil, or lost oil pressure.

regardless, good luck...

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i wasn't referring to you. your issue like i said sounds like a preload issue.
    my bad i thought you were

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst02 View Post
    Sounds like the typical GM Singer sewing machine, typically after installing a cam and new springs noise will be presen. with the 918's you now have a higher spring rate and seat pressure, there are a lot of variables to this: spring seat pressure, open pressure, lift of cam as well as duration and lobe seperation. Have you installed headers on the car, the noise that I'm hearing will be normal and no concern of mine. You can go back and check the rockers and make sure they are adjusted properly and the engine needs to be cold when it is done, another question I have and could answer myself if i Had the cam specs as well as the pushrod length, but the question is why did you or the shop choose 1.8 ratio rockers.
    No cam just 1.8 quick lift roller rockers and the correct crane pushrods (crane chromemoly 7.250) and 918s. Stock locks and retainers. There are headers on the car. Stainless Kooks.

Sure hope it isn't rod bearings ! sound is clearly coming from the drivers side.

WHen I leave work Ill take a video of a cold start from all sides and do another when I get home when it's hot. Least its something to do !

Thread Information