Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

What is this Black Residue From Exhaust

I started my car before opening the garage door all the way and later when I raised the garage door, I found 2 8" diameter spots of black residue on the door. Can anyone tell me why my exhaust is exhausting black residue, what it is and how to fix it?
    Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune | TB Bypass | Bilstein HD Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit | UMI SFC | UMI Rear LCA's and brackets | UMI adj PHB, UMI Front/Rear Sway Bars |UMI Strut Tower Brace | SLP Lid | SLP Loud Mouth with quad tips | High output alt

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Chances are it's just condensation exiting the tail pipes. You could check all your fluids and make sure you aren't burning/losing any, but I'd bet on the condensation over anything else.
    Last edited by Knight; 06-08-2011 at 07:20 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Most cars experiance some sooting as a normal biproduct of combustion..

However, if the sooting is ecsessive(sp) it could be a sign of poor combustion due to incorrect AFR's (air fuel ratio's), bad or incorrect tune, vaccume leaks, etc, can contribute to over sooting..

I would say if you're not getting a "service engine soon" light, and it's seems to be running normal, (no unusual fuel consumption, no big clouds of black smoke) then the condition is likely normal..imho

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I have a Diablo Sport tune in it that changed the air fuel ratio, but it drives a lot better with the tune. It runs great actually. I just had it on a dyno for 2 power poles the day before. They got on it pretty good there. But it is running good and no check engine light, so I think I will forget about it until I have a problem. Thanks guys.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    I have a Diablo Sport tune in it that changed the air fuel ratio, but it drives a lot better with the tune. It runs great actually. I just had it on a dyno for 2 power poles the day before. They got on it pretty good there. But it is running good and no check engine light, so I think I will forget about it until I have a problem. Thanks guys.
    I also get some of the black stains but is on my exhaust. The car was tuned by Frost and its been running fine.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.

NBM
    1998Z28

Are you still running stock exaust with cats or? Probally the Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune you have installed has alot to do with it. I tried a handheld tuner once and it didn't have enough programing options to do an accurate tune. I tried it while the car was on a dyno to see what its stored program would do to the A/F and it couldn't get it close. I suggest getting a better tune via HP Tuners or Frost. I returned my handheld.
    Last edited by PFM; 06-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Are you still running stock exaust with cats or? Probally the Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune you have installed has alot to do with it. I tried a handheld tuner once and it didn't have enough programing options to do an accurate tune. I tried it while the car was on a dyno to see what its stored program would do to the A/F and it couldn't get it close. I suggest getting a better tune via HP Tuners or Frost. I returned my handheld.
    Agree.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I guess that makes sense. I thought Diablo sport was a good one. You can do live logging and adjust the parameters yourself. I might try that first. I was waiting to get a dyno tune after I get headers.

Thread Information