black
    2000 pontiac firehawk

welded exhaust help

so i had to take the heads off on the firehawk, but to do so of your gotta drop the headers. Well my headers where welded to the cats, those welded to the y pipe, and so forth, all the way to the exhaust tips. PAIN IN THE ASS! to drop the headers enough to get the heads off, i had to make a cut. I chose to cut the y pipe section (after the cats) but now i haven't a clue how to put the exhaust set up back together now that its
    cut... any suggestion other than re-welding? clamps wont work unless i just get a new y pipe

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

If clamps won't work, I'd just drive it to the closest exhaust shop and have them weld it back up. Another thought would be to have the exhaust shop cut out the section where you made the cut, put a new section of pipe in and then clamp it on one end and weld the other end, unless clamps are completely out of the question. That would save you the hassle of having to cut the weld every time you have to drop that portion of the exhaust.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 04-26-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

Three inch band clamps will work if the cut is a strait clean cut. You can find them at most parts stores like napa.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

Maybe put a cut out in there now...I mean the hard part (cutting the spot for it) is already done.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Just weld it back the way it was.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

You will probably have to weld it back up. The band clamp idea may work for a while, but they are really designed for slip fit joints.

In the end, the proper way to fix it would be to rip all that stuff off and start fresh and bolt everything in as it should be. Because sooner or later, you'll be dropping the exhaust for something else (clutch install, or transmission work, fuel pump, etc...) and you'll be cutting it again, and again, and again....

Obviously somebody didn't think that exhaust install through very well.

Another trick that I use on the rear muffler assembly (rather than a slip fit joint) I use a 3 bolt header flange with a gasket. So when it comes time to drop the muffler for a fuel pump, I remove 3 bolts and the muffler and tailpipe assembly drops down as one whole unit in about 5 minutes.

It's not hard to fab on, and you can buy a set of them for about $5. Since you cut the pipe it's a piece of cake. Slide your 3 bolt header rings on each side of the cut. Bolt them together and center the flanges directly over the cut. Weld around the outside perimeter of the flanges on each side. Remove your bolts, slide your gasket in, and clamp it all down.

Now you have a removable flange with a gasket that will drop straight down, rather than needing wiggle room to slide a slip joint apart....

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    If clamps won't work, I'd just drive it to the closest exhaust shop and have them weld it back up. Another thought would be to have the exhaust shop cut out the section where you made the cut, put a new section of pipe in and then clamp it on one end and weld the other end, unless clamps are completely out of the question. That would save you the hassle of having to cut the weld every time you have to drop that portion of the exhaust.
    What he said....

Thread Information