Pewter
    2000 WS6/1999 Silverado Z

Water pump going bad??

when i start the old girl up in the morning, or if the engine is cold, i get this squeking noise. it sorta sounds like a belt or something. after running for a few minutes....going down the road, it stops. then at an idle, it will start back up. It will quit if im above like 1,500 RPM's Then after the temp guage reads over...id say 120, it will stop all together. So basically it does it when its cold, and or at an idle. Ive never had a pump go bad, so im not sure what to look for. its kind of hard to tell exactly where its coming from too, other than the front somewhere. Any ideas?

99 Firebird Formula

Is there any coolant coming from around the waterpump, and is the car overheating?

I would take a look at the belt, belt tensioner, and pulleys first and foremost.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

sounds like the belts are glazing over. when the belts are cold, they are stiff and will slip over the pulleys. once they warm up, they get more plyable again. like keliente said, check those first.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Usually if it's the pump it'll leak through the weep hole...but i've had some go out on diff vehicles not leaking at all. Sounds like the belt though....could be a weak tensioner or glazing over like the others said....

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

It may be the belt. Easy test is take some stop squeak and with the car running and squeaking, spray the belt. If it still squeaks, it could be the tensionor, mine did that till I greased the plley. But if it stops, get a new belt.

Im also haveing a very similar problem with my 95 formula. Its been making a squeaking noise at idle, and it will continue to do so even after ive driven the car and warmed it up. Also, the ses light has come on 3 times now in the last 5 days each time for about a minute at seemingly random times. If a balancer is going bad, will it throw a code?

Pewter
    2000 WS6/1999 Silverado Z

My ses light is on too....its giving me a P0430 code, think its a bad cat or o2 sensor. I have no idea about a balancer code. Its been a few weeks, still dont have it fixed, the car is in storage for a few months =(

I have a 98 z28 and i am getting the same squeak you guys are talking about, i think it s the belts so i better take a closer look before something makes me look

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yep, da belt. Mine would make all kinds of racket when it got a little wet, and when I first started it up. I changed both belts, and it is as quiet as a mouse.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 00\/\/S6
    My ses light is on too....its giving me a P0430 code, think its a bad cat or o2 sensor. I have no idea about a balancer code. Its been a few weeks, still dont have it fixed, the car is in storage for a few months =(
    I got a bad 02 heat element on both banks, had the codes removed at Advance, and the codes never came back. Good thing too, those sensors are about 80 or 90 a piece! Have the codes removed and see if the light stays off before you replace a bunch of stuff.

Thread Information