Thread: water pump

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

water pump

I think my pulley is sqeaking on the water pump how hard is this to replace/ is there anything that I can do so I can still drive it for a little while and stop the sqeaking until I have enough to replace the water pump?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

May want to do some diagnostic work first before just replacing parts. Things to check: condition of your belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley, and other driven accessories. One simple check is to shoot the belt with a little belt dressing while the engine is running and see if the squeak subsides. This would indicate that there is belt slippage, either due to wear or a tensioner going bad.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I have changed the idler pulley, the alternator. the power steering pump/pulley, and the belt within 3 weeks. lol the only thing it can be is the water pump. Im just wondering if theres any way to stop the sqeaking for a while until I have the money to replace it because IM BROKE FROM REPLACING ALL THE OTHER PARTS!!! LOL

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have had problems with brand new belts in the past -- again, I recommend a quick shot of belt dressing to see if it affects the noise. If the noise goes away, then it is definitely a belt or tensioner issue. If the noise remains, then you need to look at each component individually to locate the source.

An old timer trick is to place a long piece of wood against each component and hold your ear to the end of it. The noise is transmitted down the wood to your ear. You are simply trying to identify the source by determining where the noise is the loudest. Obviously, getting the wood tangled up in your belts may result in a trip to the E.R. and damage to your car, so you need to be damn careful.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

ok so i replacedthe tensioner today and nothing changed so i believe it has to be the water pump

Black
    01 Silverado

agreed with pajeff02 belt dressing give it a quick shot its easy and wont hurt anything and may save a few bucks, as for the water pump if it is that when everything else is exhausted isnt to bad after getting the other accessories out of the way, hardest part is getting the gaskets to stay in place when you try and stab it up there, i recomend a little bit of rv silicone on the backside of the gasket on the side of the pump

rallye red
    2001 Camaro SS

Buy a spray can of belt dressing!!! it is only $3 or $4!!! You could have saved a lot of money by investigating first. The second thing I would buy is an automotive stethoscope, they are only $9 from Jegs or available at your local auto parts store. Then you can listen to where the squeak is coming from before you replace a bunch of stuff needlessly. I just picked up a water pump today at NAPA, It is $204, ,so make sure you need it, mine is leaking.

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Pony Eater, Replacing the water pump is not hard at all to replace. I just changed ming along with all of the idler and tension pulleys last night after completing LT & ORY install. No problem what so ever. Pricey though around $ 150.00 @ O'Reileys Auto Parts.
    Good luck!!!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

There are two belt tensioners.

Thread Information