Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans am

Want to install longtubes But need to pass emis.

I live in Houston tx and we have to pass emissions test for inspections. Almost all of the long tube and y pipe set up are off road with no cats. What do you guys recomend? I am also thinking I want to keep the air pump set up also what do you guys think? Will these cars pass the emissions with out the cats or what? What is every one doing on thier street cars with long tubes?

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Not on a sniffer test..

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have a friend who is certified for inspections and that is how I plan on going around it. I also have had the codes deleted so in theory I should pass anyways since the car is OBDII and they do not use the sniffer. Though anyone with any knowledge would easily be able to fail my car.

If you have no idea where to go I would talk to your friendly speed shop, sure they have a few suggestions if you need it. You could also contact a few of the people on the board closer to you.

Pueter/Silver

I live in Houston tx and we have to pass emissions test for inspections. Almost all of the long tube and y pipe set up are off road with no cats. What do you guys recomend? I am also thinking I want to keep the air pump set up also what do you guys think? Will these cars pass the emissions with out the cats or what? What is every one doing on thier street cars with long tubes? i would look on ebay they have an obx racing headers w/ cats idem#350030926599 or when you get on there you can email him Dailod his name should be on the right side of the page

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

There is a guy in Springfield that gives me a sticker, to bad u dont live close to jersey. I agree, any1 with half a brain could fail my car.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by 99ls1taJohn View Post
    I live in Houston tx and we have to pass emissions test for inspections. Almost all of the long tube and y pipe set up are off road with no cats. What do you guys recomend? I am also thinking I want to keep the air pump set up also what do you guys think? Will these cars pass the emissions with out the cats or what? What is every one doing on thier street cars with long tubes?
    i would look on ebay they have an obx racing headers w/ cats idem#350030926599 or when you get on there you can email him Dailod his name should be on the right side of the page
    If you don't have to pass a sniffer a defouler should work for you, it works on all of my imports and i don't see why it wouldn't on domestics. I had planed on seeing if it would screw on my old y-pipe of the camaro.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Pacesetter makes emissions-friendly longtube headers with the EGR and AIR fittings, and Texas Speed also sells a catted-pacesetter Y-pipe for LS1's. But the Y-pipe is almost double the price of the OR Y.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

You guys still have the sniffler tests? NY has ODBII scan only...as long as you don't have a SES light you pass. Shit my car passed with H/C package.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Defouler works on everything i've thrown it at..

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    Defouler works on everything i've thrown it at..
    +1 thats what we use in NC to get around the OBDII. Spark plug defouler

hugger orange

for about $65 each you can get magna flow hi-flow cats from summit racing and weld in bungs to run your rear o2s or have a tunner delete them

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    for about $65 each you can get magna flow hi-flow cats from summit racing and weld in bungs to run your rear o2s or have a tunner delete them
    Yup, or for $8 you could run defoulers..

hugger orange

the Defoulers will work for not popping codes but might still need the cats to pass visual emissions... I'm not sure how strick the emissions is in texas

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    the Defoulers will work for not popping codes but might still need the cats to pass visual emissions... I'm not sure how strick the emissions is in texas
    Me neither but CA is the worst.. I'll have to ask my cousin, she lives in Houston..

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

I used the Kook's LT's with the Air fittings, and no problems, in Spring, TX.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

White
    2001 Z28

Just do what we do in California. Put on the LTs just after your sniffer test. Then two years later put the cats back on, retune, sniff, and try a new setup. Besides headers don't last that long anyway.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Just do what we do in California. Put on the LTs just after your sniffer test. Then two years later put the cats back on, retune, sniff, and try a new setup. Besides headers don't last that long anyway.
    headers dont last long????

You can pass a sniffer test with long tubes and catted Y-pipes but the issue that comes into play is the fact that you are moving the cats further downstream,,,,which some states do not allow. California being one of them.

So technically even though it would pass the sniffer,,,it wouldn't pass the visual due to the cats not being in their original location,,,a bullshi!! technicallity. If it passes a sniffer then whats the big deal, thats all that matter in the end anyway,,,,ugh..

In any event,,,you would have to check your local area as to whether they are worried about where the cats are placed.

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Mine are going on three years without an issue. Why don't you think they last long?

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You can pass a sniffer test with long tubes and catted Y-pipes but the issue that comes into play is the fact that you are moving the cats further downstream,,,,which some states do not allow. California being one of them.

So technically even though it would pass the sniffer,,,it wouldn't pass the visual due to the cats not being in their original location,,,a bullshi!! technicallity. If it passes a sniffer then whats the big deal, thats all that matter in the end anyway,,,,ugh..

In any event,,,you would have to check your local area as to whether they are worried about where the cats are placed.
    But one key fact is that in CA you can't change the oem ones period.
    Even if it passes which is pretty damn lame.

Thread Information