Thread: Volant Vs. CAI

Sk8d85

Volant Vs. CAI

Which is better. Volant or SLP CAI on a 01-02 camaro SS ? Anyother mods that are relatively inexpensive? Please i need some input before i go buy something. Thanks!!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

hey another IL residence cool....

I would go CAI, its a pressurized intake over the volant system... what mods do you have?

m6 or A4 camaro do you have?

Sk8d85
    My 01 SS is completely stock so im ready to start upgrading it lol. And i just got it in May of 05 with 17K miles on it. I dont want to sound like an idiot but what is the difference between the m6 and a4. Im just getting into all this stuff so im just looking for advice. Thanks though!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

congrats on a great purchase. I'm Jason, 28yrs old and have been driving these cars since I was a kid, and my GF is getting one too. So I do know alot but there are others that know alot too.

you dont sound like an idiot your just new to owning an amazing car.

One thing you might want to do is check out

www.ls1speed.com

They are a performance shop in schaumburg that specializes in our cars. They do amazing work and are a great group of people! They make turbo versions of our cars that do over 900rwhp and 9.0 sec 1/4 mile times.

There are other great shops too, Speed Inc is just my preference.
    Go to borders or barnse and noble and buy a GM high tech performance magazine. The magazine features a speed inc car on the cover. Plus the magazine is loaded with info.

M6 means Manual 6 speed transmission
    A4 means automatic 4 speed.

You have exactly the same car I do, but an SS version.

Bolt on mods that you definitely want to do right away depending on your budget:

Exhaust: magnaflow and hooker are regarded as some of the best flowing and best sounding. The best flowing for most HP is a flowtech cutout. Worth about 10 rwhp
    Magnaflow and hooker will cost about $400.00 an exhaust cutout about $30.00

Exhaust headers: budget brands, pacesetter and flowtech. Header will improve torque and HP. They are worth about 16-20 rwhp.

Intake: a new lid, improves airflow. SLP lid was proven to be one of the best. worth about 10 rwhp.

Replace the factory brake rotors, they do warp alot. Stay with dimpled over cross drilled. Cross drilled rotors tend to crack. Hawk pads are amazing brake pads

For another 10rwhp you can get an underdrive pulley, too

consider getting subframe connectors, they tighten up the car, prevent twist, improve handling and give excellent jacking/lifting points.

Lower control arms, eliminate rear wheel hop when accelerating fast.

congrats on a great purchase. I'm 28yrs old and have been driving these cars since I was a kid, and my GF is getting one too. So I do know a lot, but there are others that know a lot too.

you don’t sound like an idiot your just new to owning an amazing car.

One thing you might want to do is check out Speed Inc.

www.ls1speed.com

They are a performance shop in schaumburg that specializes in our cars. They do amazing work and are a great group of people! They make turbo versions of our cars that do over 900rwhp and 9.0 sec 1/4 mile times.

There are other great shops too, Speed Inc is just my preference, plus they are local.

Go to borders or barns and noble and buy a GM high tech performance magazine. The magazine features a speed inc car on the cover. Plus the magazine is loaded with info.

M6 means Manual 6 speed transmission
    A4 means automatic 4 speed.
    WOT means wide open throttle

You have exactly the same car I do, but an SS version.

There are tons of freebie mods, check out:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

just don’t play with your MAF, many people have had problems with changing it or porting it.

Bolt on mods that you definitely want to do right away depending on your budget:

Exhaust: magnaflow and hooker are regarded as some of the best flowing and best sounding mufflers. The best flowing for most HP is a flowtech cutout. Both setup are worth about 10 rwhp
    Magnaflow and hooker will cost about $400.00 an exhaust cutout about $30.00

Exhaust headers: budget brands, pacesetter and flowtech. Header will improve torque and HP. They are worth about 16-20 rwhp.

Intake: a new lid, improves airflow. SLP lid was proven to be one of the best. worth about 10 rwhp.

Replace the factory brake rotors, they do warp a lot. Stay with dimpled over cross drilled. Cross drilled rotors tend to crack. Hawk pads are amazing brake pads

For another 10rwhp you can get an underdrive pulley, too

consider getting subframe connectors, they tighten up the car, prevent twist, improve handling and give excellent jacking/lifting points.

Lower control arms, eliminate rear wheel hop when accelerating fast.

Also a CAI and Volant are good systems, CAI I feel work better the faster you go as they force more air into the system, but a CAI is not instant hp.

These cars respond to bolt on mods very nice. Once you install all of the bolt-ons, then you can start considering a cam and other power adders. Before you know it, you will have a 11sec ¼ mile car with 500 rwhp.

Finally, performance parts makers will claim huge horsepower, don’t believe it. Its just a selling gimmick. Research everything and plan your build up before doing it.

Great references
    www.ls1.com
    www.lsall.com
    www.ls1tech.com

ls1 tech has a newbie guide to modification that is very helpful.

Feel free to pm or email me if you have more questions… If i state something you alread know, dont be offended I just dont know what you do.

Sk8d85

Smile

Thanks for all the info. It helps i appreciate it. I have an m6. Its very fun to drive. I think im actually going to do strut tower brace and the air lid first. then work from there. I was looking at magnaflow catback for around 420, is that a decent price? Now what is a cutout? Im Dan and 20 years old. I love the car, before i had a 1990 chevy corsica that always broke down on me lol. Its a nice upgrade from that. Also i was looking at subframe connectors. But what are the better brands to go with or are they basically comprable? And same thing with lower control arms. How long does it take to install those and how difficult is it? thanks alot again i appreciate it.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

welcome to the board and the world of LS1... Not much will beat you in a race with your car stock and once you start modding... damn hold on cause these cars can move.

Definitely check out Speed inc.
    There online catalog is easy to browse and will show you many parts. Also you download racing vids of their shop cars.

For suspension and chassis bracing, I bought all BMR products. Many companies make other parts that I am sure are just as good, but I like BMR customer help, info and prices.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com

$420 is about the going price for magnaflow

This website has sound clips and flow number of different mufflers and header setups.

http://www.ls1sounds.com/

An exhaust cutout is what I run along with a flowmaster muffler. I bought flowmaster cause I like the sound. (For hp there not much better then stock). A cutout is a small Y-pipe that gets welded in your exhaust before the muffler by one leg of the Y shape. The other leg has a cap that is removable. With the cap off, your muffler is by-passsed so your exhaust flows out easier and quicker. They are cheap for gaining power and sound. If car is too loud you just recap the cutout.

SFC (Subframe connectors), definitely go with weld in ones as opposed to bolt in. For brands, I prefer the Kenny Brown serious.

LCA (lower control arms) easy to install only two bolts. If you check BMRs website, it will tell you everything about chassis and suspension bracing.

You can view all these parts and more at speed incs site.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Speed inc is a great place, my car is currently sitting there for 2 weeks now awaiting the arriaval of some heads before it gets dyno tuned. If I could recommend one thing to do first that will help you out big time espically if you have ttops is some diamond style sub frame connectors. Really reduces the flex of the car and feels more solid on the road. Plus no more creeks and rattles going up high driveways and curbs at a slant

Thread Information