Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Volant CAI for Z28, anyone have this installed?

Ive seen the volant intake on lots of Trans-ams but not on a z28 with the stock hood, if anyone has pictures of this installed could you post them?

What?! Volant cai is for cars with a ram air hood and thats why you dont see them with stock z28 hoods
    You need to stay away from those anyway and get a under the car cai kit like a ssra or ftra. I love my ssra.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

WS6 store has the volant intake advertised to fit a LS1 Camaro? it looks like a different set up that sits lower than the ram air version i would post a link but i dont think they are a sponsor. And i just hate the look of the lid . . .

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    Thats for a ram air hood like I said before.
    Look up ssra and ftra.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have looked up those systems, i just want to get away from the lid and go with something different

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ive looked at the FTRA, but not the SSRA,

im planning on using the volant, last time i pulled my air filter, it had a THICK layer of road grime on it.....colder air isnt helpful if its all clogged up with road junk

Dark blue
    1999 SS Camaro

Its like to seed what the SSRA looks like any links?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

google it, super sucker ram air

hes selling them on ebay for $159...looks like a pretty good system, i just still see it as dirty air, and theres the ever present fear of hydrolock

Dark blue
    1999 SS Camaro

Why the hydrolock, I mean its not that bad for brand new 2 bills

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I have the Volant intake for Camaros. I ran it for a year or so, and it is certainly an improvement over the stock setup. It is NOT an improvement over a good fitting aftermarket lid, and besides that, it fits horribly. It does away with the "radiator support" but it doesn't really fit securely over the radiator, so there is no support. There's a good chance you'll have to modify the opening in the heat shield, as the existing opening places the bellows at an extreme angle on the throttle body and it will not stay on. All in all, just totally not worth 300.00.

I sacrificed the 5-7 hp I may have gained with it and put my stock setup back on (as I sold my SLP lid when I got the Volant) because I just wasn't comfortable with the amount of radiator movement permitted. I know it won't come out, but there are plenty of things I can't see going on under the hood and I don't want hoses getting crimped.

Can't say I recommend the Volant, but if anyone wants mine, I'll sell it cheap, or trade for a lid! I do think it's a sound idea for a ram air hood, they're just not well-made.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

will that set up fit the Z28 hood? or does it only work with the SS hood? i knew volant made one for camaros

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

It would certainly fit under a Z28 hood, but the access to air would be limited. Everyone knows the hood scoop on an SS hood is not worth a whole lot, but with the Volant setup, especially if it's a decent seal, it actually sucks air through the scoop. So it actually gets some utility out of the otherwise useless hood scoop. You can hear it. With a Z28 hood it would all be from below and again, no improvement over the much cheaper lids.

No question an SLP lid with the free ram-air mod done would be more efficient with a Z28 hood. But to answer your question, I'm sure it would fit. It doesn't sit up any higher than the stock airbox, which is the same on the Z28 and SS.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

it wont work on your hood, itll suffocate the motor, the SS hood is piped so that air flows from the scoop, down to the front of the hood, where theres an opening...

The Volant seals the air box to the bottom of the hood, so that it utilizes the scoop

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

dang i wish they would list it that way on their website i guess K and N is my only choice now unless i could modify the volant

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I don't see how it would suffocate it. It still draws air in through the front, just like the stock air lid. A Z28 hood would lack the ability to draw MORE air in through the scoop on an SS hood. It's made to seal to the hood. It really doesn't do this unless you add some weather stripping but i know through trial and error that it still leaves a little slot to draw air up from in front of the radiator just like a lid does. You just don't have the little openings from the hood scoop providing more air.

How many timnes do I have to say to the OP that a voliant is NOT for ANYTHING other than a ram air hood!!!!

I have plenty of pics of the ssra installed on my car. I might even have some solid track results

Yea I thought this was only used with a ram air hood. Cant suck cold air through a solid z28 hood.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I realize the ssra make good horsepower i just hate the look of the lid and the thought of pulling dirty road grime filled air like spikito said. and i know for a fact that the lid and filter dont seal perfectly and will let junk through because i have found parts of leaves caught in my mass air flow sensor screen. I just saw a camaro performers article that tested the FIPK and gained 14 hp so i think im going with that

I also havent seen any dyno results comparing the FIPK against the SSRA os FTRA to really prove if either is better over the other.
    Last edited by davidz28; 10-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    I realize the ssra make good horsepower i just hate the look of the lid and the thought of pulling dirty road grime filled air like spikito said. and i know for a fact that the lid and filter dont seal perfectly and will let junk through because i have found parts of leaves caught in my mass air flow sensor screen. I just saw a camaro performers article that tested the FIPK and gained 14 hp so i think im going with that

I also havent seen any dyno results comparing the FIPK against the SSRA os FTRA to really prove if either is better over the other.
    Well first of all that data is nonsense because a dyno dosent really pick up the power gain from a CAI. Its when the car is moving that the car scoops the air and makes more power the faster you go.
    To tell you he truth I have never had any problems with grime or anything. I had a ssra on my old 98z28 I used to have and I have one on my 01ss now. If your MAF gets grime on it then you can blame your filter not the ssra.
    Also if a lid dosent seal properly to the filter then I would have to blame that on the installer. Iv never had issues thats just nonsense imo.
    If your curious about what the gains are from a ssra I have solid track proof for that...Another ram air test. Proof it works. - LS1TECH

I have plenty of pics of my ssra installed if wanted.
    01 SS A4 3.23-LID-CAI-LTS-ORY-CB-STALL-TUNED-326rwh,335rwt
    60'-1.666, 1/4-11.918@112.83MPH

Thread Information