Thread: V6-v8?

Silver
    98 Z28

V6-v8?

my brother has a 99 rs and told me i could have the parts that follow. magnaflow 3" full pipes (just need to find my own aftermarket headers), ss hood with ram air airbox, and he's throwing in his 1000 watt amp with 2 12' subs. i woulda been fine with a 10" with a stealth box cuz the trunk area help when i need my gear and such for work. subs freakin slapp hard too! i would just need to get the wiring and pay for labor.
    so how much trouble would i encounter bolting on the full exhaust, hood and airbox from his 99 rs to my 98 z28?
    Last edited by SiLver_PhOeNiX; 07-22-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarification of the fact that i understand that v6 headers wont work on a v8...

Silver
    98 Z28

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

umm.... v6 headers wont work on a v8. some of the other stuff might be useable though.

Silver
    2000 z28

headers wont work the other stuff should be good and he hood only has 4 nuts on it

Silver
    98 Z28

someone told me that it may take modding cuz the v6 and v8 may collect in different areas and the airbox may not work because the v6 throttle body is about 6" towards the passenger side. does that sound right at all? if i could get this to work, i could save a butt load of cash. and i realize that 6 exhaust ports would not work on a v8, hence " just need to find headers."
    i really appreciate the advice. i just need to be very confident that itll work before i have him or myself take the sh*t off his and attempt to put it on mine.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

bbk has some good headers at lmperformance.com they fit pretty good and sound nice.

Silver
    2000 z28

my dads 00 v6 had the same airbox as my 00 z28 but if its ss anyway then it was made for a v8 to begin with and that would definitely be the same as yours

Silver
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    my dads 00 v6 had the same airbox as my 00 z28 but if its ss anyway then it was made for a v8 to begin with and that would definitely be the same as yours
    hell yeah bro, thanks! thats the kinda information i was looking for with the airbox. all ill have to do is take the hood and airbox from my brother. i guess the exhaust can wait to be taken off until i have further information about the likelihood of it fitting on mine.
    Last edited by SiLver_PhOeNiX; 07-22-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Silver
    2000 z28

yep... the exhaust should work too may need minor adjustments but a muffler shop can take care of that and not too expensive

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

*cough* The 3800-II does not have the air lid with the same outlet possition as any ls1 powered car for starters.. Secondly the lid outlet is to the drivers side. The base is the same the lid is not.. The lid is also an oval outlet rather than round.. Exhaust is different but routed the same.. 3800II uses a 3" collector (f-body) under the passanger foor board which the dumps unto the cat and out as 2.25:-2.50" outlet.. Which then feeds the muffler from the passenger rear over axle..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-23-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Silver
    2000 z28

hmm...maybe somebody changed the one on my dads car before he got it then because he had the same setup mine did when i bought my car before the granatelli lid

Silver
    98 Z28

im not going to have a lid.. its an ss hood ram air setup. mid and bottom portion of box and k&n filter. thats it

black
    1999 camaro SS

maybe my ss is just weird but the stock lid that was on it did not have any way of getting air from the scoop on the hood.. it looked just like the z28 stock lids

Silver
    98 Z28

hmmm. weird.. maybe when you bought it, the owner screwed ya?

black
    1999 camaro SS

no. I'm pretty sure that all z28s and SS's came from the factory with the same lids......

red
    99 camaro

they did. The only diff was on the box for the ws6 cars, it was taller and had a bigger opening in the bottom. It was about 2in rather than about 1/2in. To the best of my knowledge, all ls1 lids were exactly the same, period...

black
    1999 camaro SS

I know that for sure already. I was trying to give him a chance to do some google research and correct himself. I'd like to know where he found this special FACTORY lid with no top on it. Id go to the gm dealership and buy one myself lol!!!

Silver
    98 Z28

my brothers ss hood apparently dumps the air from the top of the hood right on top of the airbox. but if you read earlier posts, i believe i stated that he has a V6. he just bought an aftermarket ss hood and airbox

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SiLver_PhOeNiX View Post
    my brothers ss hood apparently dumps the air from the top of the hood right on top of the airbox. but if you read earlier posts, i believe i stated that he has a V6. he just bought an aftermarket ss hood and airbox
    What year is your bro's 3800? If it's a fly by wire TB he actually prolly had to step down to the SS lid then (not that the v6 lid is better tho). The factory 3800-II fly by wire TB is an 85mm stock unit. I believe the ls1 tb has a smaller OD inlet..

Silver
    98 Z28

he has a 99. if i need to increase or reduce a tb outlet i can easily buy the adapters or elbows for em

Thread Information