Thread: Typhoon Intake

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

Typhoon Intake

Is the Typhoon Intake any good, if not what is a good afortable intake for my99 camaro? thanks

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

In one word....JUNK!

Get yourself an LS6 intake. Cheaper, fits perfect, performs just as well.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have had 2 cars with that intake that were giant headaches because of sealing issues. Many vendors have stopped selling them for this reason as well.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I don't think they have had any issues with the intakes as of late. Maybe the first run, but the ones out now don't have any issues that I'm aware of.

I have the 96MM Typhoon and its fine (having it installed Tuesday along with a 90MM Fast TB)

Just spend the extra money and get it ported, once you look inside the thing you can see why porting would help.

I found mine on one of the ls1 forums brand new for sale fuel setup and all for $200.00

I think most of the people who say they are junk haven't owned one or haven't owned one of the newer ones.

If you can find it cheap I would go for it

I would also do a search on the different ls1 forums. 99% of the people who have it installed have nothing but great things to say and 99% of the people who say bad things about the intake don't have it & never have owned it.

Just my 2 cents

Like I said I'm having a ported 96MM typhoon installed Tuesday (8/5/2008) along with a FAST 90MM TB. My car came with the Ls6 intake, so if I don't gain anything I'll be more then happy to eat my words. I'll post the results regardless once it's completed

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I owned one of their very first, sold it to a local F-body club member, and have tuned 2 (others) of them. The one I owned had sealing problems and the 2 cars that came in for tuning had problems. The last one I tuned, the dyno shop was a Ford road-race shop. They told me their Ford intakes had sealing issues and they stopped carrying them. Exotic Performance Plus dropped their LS1 intake because of a large volume of sealing related returns. All of this is first-hand and all LS1 intakes. When they first came out, they were a great deal and people jumped on them. They are WAY heavy.

I hope yours comes out well and the extra work pays off. I know that some people had no problems with their LS1 intakes also, but it doesn't take much to ruin a reputation.

red
    00 z28

i just bought the typhoon 96mm also, now i hope i didnt waste my money... i also bought a 101mm TB

Thread Information