Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Tune required with 02 sims?

I know that when and ORY pipe is used that codes will be thrown since there are no cats. Will O2 sims get rid of that? What tuning process would i need to go through if i get Lts with no cats?

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

just have the ecm flashed before you do the pipes. this tells the computer to ignore the sensors. It gives the computer a false reading.you accually keep the sensors but they dont sense anything.Ask your local hot rod shop, if they know anything about ls1 cars they will know what your talking about. Cost me twenty five dollars.You dont want to cut the sensors off in case you ever go to sell the car.Most states have laws against that.

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

P.S. forget about the sims they are expensive and thay suck.

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

The muffler shop did mine for free with the install and get the o2 sims if you want your check engine light to go off.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

To Answer you original Question... No if you install o2 sims you will not need to get a tune. The o2 sims basically fool the computer into thinking that the rear o2 are present and functioning correctly. The Rear o2 sensors only job is making sure the Cats are working correctly, nothing more. If you are getting the car's computer tuned by a shop (usually when you install header and ORY the car tends to make the fuel mixture richer) then you can just have them program the computer no to throw a code when o2's are not present. But unless you are doing that the o2 are easy to install and do their job just fine. Note tha if you run the car without them although the o2 are not used by the computer to adjust timing or fuel, if the computer throws a code because the 02 can't sense the presence of the cats the computer may try to compensate by adjusting the fuel and timing.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Killer Bluebird is 100% correct!. I just used the o2 simms because I am not quite ready for a tune. They work great!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

With LT's on my car it was running really rich and seen very little hp gain from the LT's.. I was running 02 sims, now I had them deleated from the pcm.....adjusted A/F and HP shot up about 22 and ran great. My gas mileage suffered before I tuned it and car felt sluggish. I had high flow cats on when I tuned it, later I took the cats off and ran at the track, hated the way it sounded, so put them back on. I ran better times with the cats on, most likely since the A/F was adjusted with cats.

Thread Information