View Poll Results: Did you get a tune after installing LT headers? Were you happy with it

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I got a tune and yes it did make a difference.

11 55.00%
  • I got it tuned but wish I didn't. (should have waited to do more mods)

1 5.00%
  • I didn't get a tune and the car is fine.

4 20.00%
  • I didn't get a tune but I feel that it needs it.

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Tune for LT Headers

I know this question has been done to death but I'm gonna make a poll for it. Please leave any comments or advice as well.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

cant wait to see the results

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    cant wait to see the results
    Me 2 but i have a feeling 1/2 of the knowledgeable people wont look at it cuz it's been asked like 500 times lol. I also want to mention that both of my friends that had 5.0 mustangs with LT's and off road h pipe never got their shit dyno tuned and they ran fine

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I actually lost 7 hp after LT install. I had it dynoed before it was 352/368. On the dyno for the first run it showed the decrease, then after tune it ran better and im now at 364/369.
    TSP Torquer V2 cam, ported heads,fast 90/90 combo, LT's, 3400 stall, magnaflow CB, most other bolt ons, full suspension, t-top and HID conversion

422 RWHP, 384TQ

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

If you want every possible hp gain out of the the LT's then I can see going with a tune. I don't think you'll be able to feel a difference if you do or don't get it tuned. It makes me laugh , the people that say they felt a difference in getting it tuned after the headers were installed, cause you know they're the same people that say they noticed a difference after installing a K&N filter. What does a tune get you overall, maybe 20hp or so. I dont think the average person can notice a 20hp gain. Just my feeling though.
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

83 Z28 new project

I didn't feel a difference after the install, but it did run a little rough afterwards. I was due for a tune anyways beause of all the other mods I did before. I was actually surprised about the decrease on that first run.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    If you want every possible hp gain out of the the LT's then I can see going with a tune. I don't think you'll be able to feel a difference if you do or don't get it tuned. It makes me laugh , the people that say they felt a difference in getting it tuned after the headers were installed, cause you know they're the same people that say they noticed a difference after installing a K&N filter. What does a tune get you overall, maybe 20hp or so. I dont think the average person can notice a 20hp gain. Just my feeling though.
    So you're telling me that installing Lt's and ory pipe will not make any "seat of the pants" difference?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

A 20HP difference is very noticeable if you drive car before and after the install.

Getting a tune definitely makes a difference. Do you know anything about the stock ECU parameters?? They can adjust everything from the long term fuel trims to the VE tables to make the car run smoother, have a better powerband, make more power and torque, and be more efficient for better fuel economy. If you can't notice a difference after that, then there's something wrong with you.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Just think about it, they say LT's are good for probably 20hp as well. So tune plus headers you might notice a difference. I think if you just do headers only, then probably not a big noticeable difference. Everyone will tell you they noticed a difference by installing LT's. I'm not saying they wont help out, they are a very good first performance mod. Just don't expect to be thrown back into your seat by installing a set of them.

83 Z28 new project

It seems to have more of a spring in its step so to speak, but a "seat of the pants" difference, no. Going from 185hp to over 400hp in my truck, thats a "seat of the pants" difference in my book.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    A 20HP difference is very noticeable if you drive car before and after the install.

Getting a tune definitely makes a difference. Do you know anything about the stock ECU parameters?? They can adjust everything from the long term fuel trims to the VE tables to make the car run smoother, have a better powerband, make more power and torque, and be more efficient for better fuel economy. If you can't notice a difference after that, then there's something wrong with you.
    I got my car tuned after I did my cam, and all my other bolt on crap and can tell you that my car didn't feel any faster after it was tuned then before I got it done.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have all the stuff and tune my own car so I tune after every mod. I could definitely tell a difference after the header install. Not sure pre and post tune because as soon as the headers were on I started logging and adjusted my tune. Never really drove it around untuned.
    I look at a tune for headers like this. If the headers are the last mod you'll do this year then get it tuned. If you plan on other mods within the next month or two then hold off until everything is done and get it tuned. Don't tune for headers then a month later put on a different intake and ported tb because you should really get tuned after those too so just wait and get it all tuned at once. If you put on headers and get a tune and don't feel the difference them someone didn't do something right. Headers are one of the mods that you can definitely feel. TB coolant bypass or free ram air not so much, but headers you can feel.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I just hope everyone can understand my situation on this. Say I buy the pacesetter headers and ory for $500 plus shipping. then I get 02 sims for $90, plus other costs for gaskets and 02 extentions. That's going to add up close to $700 for non-stainless steel headers that I would have to install with my dad. If the car doesn't run so well afterwards and I don't feel a little more punch, then i wasted $700. I don't want to get it tuned for just one mod and I really don't have the money to buy anything else. What do you guys suggest?

83 Z28 new project

You're not wasting your money on headers. They are a good improvement, besides, they sound really good.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I just hope everyone can understand my situation on this. Say I buy the pacesetter headers and ory for $500 plus shipping. then I get 02 sims for $90, plus other costs for gaskets and 02 extentions. That's going to add up close to $700 for non-stainless steel headers that I would have to install with my dad. If the car doesn't run so well afterwards and I don't feel a little more punch, then i wasted $700. I don't want to get it tuned for just one mod and I really don't have the money to buy anything else. What do you guys suggest?
    i'm with stupid

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

You got a start somewhere, at least your doing headers and not putting on just an air lid and calling it a day. Headers are always worth the money in the long run for any other mod you throw at it. But I do agree with one of the guys above. Don't tune it until you have the all the mods done you want on the car for this year or season. Getting it tuned after every mod is just gonna get exspensive.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

You got a start somewhere, at least your doing headers and not putting on just an air lid and calling it a day. Headers are always worth the money in the long run for any other mod you throw at it. But I do agree with one of the guys above. Don't tune it until you have the all the mods done you want on the car for this year or season. Getting it tuned after every mod is just gonna get exspensive.
    I know what you mean, but with my college tuition to pay and with my parent's financial situation not looking so good, this would probably be my only mod for the year. and i'm not even sure i can get them, gotta work a lot first. I'd really like to get the ls6 intake and p&p the stock TB along with the headers and then tune it, but theres no way i could afford it all at once. just gonna have to play it by ear....

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i'm with stupid
    hahaha lol. yup we're in the same boat. I'm transferring to UConn next year, we'll have to chill sometime. Dude, if you want, maybe over the summer or whatever, we could both help each other out with these installs. More ppl working on it the better, i would think.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

I know what you mean, but with my college tuition to pay and with my parent's financial situation not looking so good, this would probably be my only mod for the year. and i'm not even sure i can get them, gotta work a lot first. I'd really like to get the ls6 intake and p&p the stock TB along with the headers and then tune it, but theres no way i could afford it all at once. just gonna have to play it by ear....
    wow man, we really in the same boat, except the tuition part, Air Force is picking up that tab

and i'm not sure yet if i'll be able to afford the headers

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

wow man, we really in the same boat, except the tuition part, Air Force is picking up that tab

and i'm not sure yet if i'll be able to afford the headers
    My parents said they'd help me if i work a shitload in the summer, which i want to do anyways. I thought about going into the miliatary to save $, but i want to enjoy my life after college and not have to worry about risking my life anywhere lol.
    I noticed in another thread you wanted a catted y. I keep switching my mind but I think in CT we can pass the emissions with 02 sims (hopefully). I hope it just doesn't sound raspy or anything. Saving $200 from buying cats will make it much easier to buy the headers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information