Black

TSP vs. Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LT's ORY

ok guys I have 02 WS6 Ram Air anyone use either the texas speed or speed engineering 1 7/8 race version headers and ORY? also thinkin of doing the volant CAI and possibly finding a way to add the chris1313 thoughts??

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hi Patrick,

I bought the TSP 1 7/8" headers and the fit was very good. Just a minimal K member tweak which
    a lot of headers need anyway.

I was doing my installation on a bit of a budget as I had to factor in shipping to me here but that aside
    they are noticeably cheaper than Kooks or ARH. I have had no issues and would recommend them!

As far as the Y went... TSP were out of stock of the ORY when I was spending so I bought the Kooks ORY
    and it mated to the TSP headers just fine.

Just note that the TSP headers are non AIR so that crap will have to come out!!! MILES of hoses and
    nonsense gone...

Trev

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

A lot of members here like TSP. I don't have headers yet, but will likely be getting ARH when I do get them sometime down the road... a long way down the road...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I like Kook's headers. They look great, they work and fit perfect and they are fairly priced. Give them a look before you buy.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Best bang for the buck is the Speed Engineering setup...its really hard to beat the prices they have for a set of stainless steal headers with a stainless Y pipe. I know a few people who run them and have no issues so if you're trying to save a little money to spend else where "like on a $200+ volant intake" you wont have anything to worry about with speed engineering. I've seen them installed with no issues so dont worry about fitment because it shouldnt be a problem.

With that said, TSP seems to be the more popular option and Kooks is arguably some of the best you can get in my opinion but you're going to pay more for them. Just stay away from ebay headers...thats what you dont want lol

Black
    Awesome thanks guys I would love to get kooks but I also don't have tons of money so with that being said ill prolly stick with TSP or speed engineering..was leaning more towards speed engineering cuz I haven't heard any problems

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

TSP makes a great header.. I used to run the 1 7/8s on my Camaro when I had it.. Installation at the time wanted you to unbolt the engine mount but if you get the car high enough where you can tilt the header almost 90 degrees, it will slide right in. Again, great headers! I'm about to order their headers for my Silverado in the spring time..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Does TSP offer a stainless steel header yet, or no?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yeah I have their headers and true duals on my car and it's all stainless steel. Gotta clean them up though plastic bag got caught on the exhaust and melted.
    Last edited by raynor139; 02-04-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Does TSP offer a stainless steel header yet, or no?

Oh yes.... they certainly do!!

There is no way I would have put up with all of that faff with the installation if
    they were mild with paint on!!!!

Never understood why anybody would choose mild steel over stainless.

TSP are made in China and not US made but the quality of the welding and general
    finish was excellent. Not just "for the money" but they are just nice!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah - that is why I went with Kooks. I can see some instances where some might have to go an alternative route though and pick up a set of mild steel headers that are coated. I read mix reviews about them - most say they won't last very long and they'll start to rust....others say they look like new years down the road. Depends probably on where you live. Anything stainless will always live longer though.

Black
    Update guys went tsp 1 7/8 race headers and ORY. Thanks for all the info!

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    TSP are made in China and not US made
    Really??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Really??
    That's correct as far as I know.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Really??
    That's correct as far as I know.
    Yep they are. How they do it so cheaply.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

And don't let that fact put you off because i am pretty damn fussy
    on what i shell out my money on and like Patrick i did plenty of research!

Really nice welding and a pretty good polish job... but i did spend a bit of
    extra time with some mops but that is just me

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

As long as the quality control standards are high, the country of origin does not "ruin" a product. If the vendor rejects poor quality, then it should still be a good product. Though, I myself, do what I can to buy American these days, even if it costs me some extra coin.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    A lot of members here like TSP. I don't have headers yet, but will likely be getting ARH when I do get them sometime down the road... a long way down the road...
    What up Naaman...i would hold off from getting the ARH's..Although they are amazing quality wise...I just got done doing a little tweaking to my exhaust and picked up about 20ft/lbs across the board and expecially under the curve...I used speed engineering's y-pipe (which is very good) but tweaked it by inserting a 3.5 flowmaster merge piece connected to the I-pipe for my corsa exhaust.....The difference is unbelievable! I mean it's pretty amazing...I ascertained that tip from Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance. ..I also can say you will not regret purchasing speed engineering SS headers...The new design is impressive and the fitment is precise. ..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    What up Naaman...i would hold off from getting the ARH's..Although they are amazing quality wise...I just got done doing a little tweaking to my exhaust and picked up about 20ft/lbs across the board and expecially under the curve...I used speed engineering's y-pipe (which is very good) but tweaked it by inserting a 3.5 flowmaster merge piece connected to the I-pipe for my corsa exhaust.....The difference is unbelievable! I mean it's pretty amazing...I ascertained that tip from Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance. ..I also can say you will not regret purchasing speed engineering SS headers...The new design is impressive and the fitment is precise. ..
    Headers are still a long way out at this point. The work I had done on the engine interrupted my maintenance schedule, and the Z is still waiting on a new set of shoes... but since they don't make the Pilot Super Sports in a size that will fit my wheels, gotta get some new wheels, too.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Headers are still a long way out at this point. The work I had done on the engine interrupted my maintenance schedule, and the Z is still waiting on a new set of shoes... but since they don't make the Pilot Super Sports in a size that will fit my wheels, gotta get some new wheels, too.
    Oh..ok. I gotcha..I just wanted to fill you in on some changes that were advantageous to my build/vehicle, seeing as we have almost identical F-bodys! ..That's crazy though that you'll need wheels and tires...that will cost a pretty penny for sure. ..take care and enjoy the great weather we're having in AZ. ..

Thread Information