Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

True Duals vs. Y

What advantages are there in having a true dual exhaust system in comparison to going with the Y-pipe design? Is the only "advantage" being able to say you have true duals while hardly anyone else does (in relation to how many have Y-pipes)? I was considering going with the true dual design, but if there are no real "pluses" in doing so, then...
    Thanks,
    Tyler

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

youll make alittle better power under the curve.
    peak h.p, both systems make about the same.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Slight better peak and curve power. Better sound IMO. And "can" be cheaper. Depends on the setups though.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    Slight better peak and curve power. Better sound IMO. And "can" be cheaper. Depends on the setups though.
    Seems most of the cheaper setups dump the exhaust ahead of the axle. Driving a car like that on a daily basis is no picnic. Without full tail pipes, the sound reverberates under the car. Its especially loud off idle, like every time you leave a stop, etc.

When I was 20, I loved it - the sound set off car alarms, and got a lot of attention. Some of it good, some of it bad.

What other mods do you have. If you are stock or mostly stock, it woudn't be worth it in my opinion.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Seems most of the cheaper setups dump the exhaust ahead of the axle. Driving a car like that on a daily basis is no picnic. Without full tail pipes, the sound reverberates under the car. Its especially loud off idle, like every time you leave a stop, etc.
    Yeah, I know. I can't stand the drone dumps make. Although Ive seen quite a few people go under the axle clear out the back without any problems or clearance issues. At that point its going to cost *roughly* the same as a y-pipe/cb.

The price sky rockets as soon as you mention over the axle.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Well my last car had the stock manifolds with an off-road H-pipe with Flowmaster 40 Series dumped right before the axle. I had spare change in my cup-holder getting airborne just from the drone. But that was coming from a 2002 4.6L Mustang. I can imagine the drone is even worse on a car with 1.1L more.

I don't even have the car in my possession yet. I am having a friend deliver the vehicle to me in a few weeks (it's about 900 miles away...haha). As far as I know, it is a completely stock '99 SS with a Hurst shifter. I plan on lowering the car a considerable amount, so I would guess that going with true-duals could affect ground clearence a good bit going under the axle if I did not dump?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Depends how good the shop is that does the work. Ive seen a few lowered 2'' with plenty of clearance with duals.

Also, I might as well throw this in but duals wll limit your options for a torque arm. Most trans mounted arms will work but many tunnel mounted arms wont. The only one I know of that doesnt seem to have problems with duals is the aslton TA...and that piece cost a pretty penny.

Unless of course you get the TA 1st and have them build around it.
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 02-19-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

So it would probably be best to go with a Y-pipe for compatability reasons with other aftermarket parts? I would assume that most companies are making their designs to go along with a Y-pipe seeing that that is what mostly everyone uses

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I think it would save you a headache going with a y-pipe but duals shouldnt be a limiting factor. It also depends how extreme you want your car to be. If you'll be happy with a typical aftermarket trans mount TA and standard SFCs duals wont be hard to work around. If you want a tunnel mount TA and diamond style SFCs it might become a problem.

Or...like I said before. Get the suspension upgrades first and start taking your car to shops to see if they can work around it...which probably wouldnt be a bad idea regardless what parts you go with.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if you want loudness get the SLP loudmouth and it'll sound deep but very loud when you get on it WOT (wide open throttle)
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Alright. I suppose it would be better for me to get the car first before I start doing all of this though...
    Thanks!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    if you want loudness get the SLP loudmouth and it'll sound deep but very loud when you get on it WOT (wide open throttle)
    I want to go with long tubes eventually and that will of course require a new mid pipe. Could I get the SLP Loudmouth kit for the time being and then as money allows, continue on with long tubes and still be able to keep the Loudmouth kit?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yes you can. My advice? Stay away from the loudmouth if you get headers. It sounds awesome by itself...but its rasp city with headers.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here's what happens when you go from a y-pipe single exhaust to tru-duals. this was on the wife's car. has bassani headers with the matching catted y-pipe to a borla exhaust. removed the y-pipe and added the bassani tru-duals which comes with a x-pipe. the bassani tru-duals goes all the way over the axle and out back.

Last edited by mrr23; 02-19-2006 at 06:50 PM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Snake Eater
    not meaning to jack this thread, but about how much clearance will a 1-2'' drop see w/ td's? I'm really considering switching my ory+cb to td's, but i'd also like to lower my car.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

You're not jacking the thread. I am curious about the same I found this on LS1tech.com and he says that he has even more clearance going under the axle than he did with his standard over the axle Y-pipe Here, check it out: http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442348

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    Yes you can. My advice? Stay away from the loudmouth if you get headers. It sounds awesome by itself...but its rasp city with headers.
    Well I'm wanting a pretty wicked sounding setup. So I have decided that I will go with true-duals after reading various things around the 'net regarding them. I want to go with a T-Rex cam, long-tubes, true duals (not sure if I will go with an X-pipe or no crossover at all just yet), and I am uncertain of which mufflers to go with (to my understanding, you cannot use a regular cat-back since this is a different animal, right?).

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You want an x-pipe for the scavenging effect. The best sounding muffler would be sweet thunders but they dont flow as well as others so they become a restriction at higher power levels. A good sounding muffler that flows very well is the flo-pro twister. The best flowing would be a traditional bullet style muffler but it may not sound the best...but sound is subjective so you may like it.

As for me, Ill be getting flo-pro twisters when I get duals.

Like I said before...if the shop knows what theyre doing clearance wont be an issue.

Snake Eater
    Dynomax bullets are the loudest/deepest and flow the best. Moroso is a bit quieter, and the sweet thunders just scream at WOT, although being a little more restrictive than the two. With either muffler choice, it's not going to be more than a 2-4 hp gain.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Well with such a small difference in power between mufflers, I would much rather go with the best sounding one. Sound by itself is a good enough reason to swap out exhaust systems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information