WHITE
    1998 CAMARO

True Dual vs. Stock Set-Up

Is it really worth it to go for true dual exhaust on a camaro or would hi end parts with a Y pipe (say kooks headers and gmmg catback) be enough. How much more significant are the hp gains with true dual over a y-pipe?

unless you have big cubes you're not going to see any gains worth the expence, do a search, there's a thread on this thats not to old

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    unless you have big cubes you're not going to see any gains worth the expence, do a search, there's a thread on this thats not to old
    That statement just might not be true. I had an SLP loudmouth on my SS before I installed true duals. I used 2 1/2 inch pipe. Both pipes go over the axle and exit out from beneath the rear bumper in the stock location. I used the stock manifolds, stock catalytic converters, straight through, noise cancelling MagnaFlow mufflers, (one on each side of the rear tub). I ran a dyno test before the dual installation and an after dual installation. With the just the installation of the dual exhaust system, I picked up almost a 5 percent increase in hoursepower. That is about 15 horses. So I would say that a dual exhaust installation is well worth the time and money.

You failed to realize i was talking over a good set of headers, y, and catback. not the stock exhaust. 2000+ manifolds are good flowing and just about match performance of shorties you can buy. You may have gained 15 horses, but you replaced the stock Y with the X-Pipe. Just a good Y shows gains of 10HP. You may have netted 5 over that, but I doubt it produces the HP worth spending on the setup that you could of invested somewhere else. IMO if money doesnt matter get the true duals.

red
    2002 ws6 trans am

were ther any issues on the lh side with respect to the electronics and fuel lines?
    how about the track bar set-up
    thx

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Where does the pipe go on the left side over the axle?IMHO spending $100s of dollars for a couple horsepower is hard to justify-but thats just me.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Hey JEB, how about some pics of your setup?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Where does the pipe go on the left side over the axle?IMHO spending $100s of dollars for a couple horsepower is hard to justify-but thats just me.
    Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with horsepower. There's just something more ethereally pleasing about a true dual set up. But, that's just me.

Azhigher
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    IMO if money doesnt matter get the true duals.
    Well, I dunno how much shops in your area are charging, but I got my 3" True Duals with Magnaflows for $550 installed. I think I actually saved money over buying a Y-pipe/catback.

I actually went with the TD's because they were going to be cheaper for a great sound. Plus, you can't beat the look of two magnaflows sitting adjacent to a TA girdle. Nice and muscley

Thread Information