Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

True Dual Muffler

I'm looking to get true duals installed by a local shop in the near future. As of right now I have Longtubes couples to an ORY and a Flowmaster catback.

However, I'm having trouble trying to decide on what muffler(s) to use. I know a lot of guys go with bullets or 1 Chambers, but that is extremely loud. I drive this car around town alot, and I can't be shaking the ground when I come through my neighborhood at night. Its just not practical to have my car obnoxiously loud.

So I was thinking of doing a setup similar to the Basani True dual system, with a single dual in/dual out muffler. I found a new muffler that dynomax makes, called the Untra-Flow X. Its a dual in/dual out, with a straight through/glasspack x-pipe design inside the muffler. Heres a pic:

Anyone have any experience using a muffler like this with a True Dual 2.5" over the axle setup??

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I suggest that you use a seperate muffler for each pipe. Talk with your muffler shop about installing straight through, noise cancelling MagnaFlows.
    JEB

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    I suggest that you use a seperate muffler for each pipe. Talk with your muffler shop about installing straight through, noise cancelling MagnaFlows.
    That is what mine is.
    Flows great, sounds great when WOT and it is pretty tame when driving around.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I have flow 1 chambers cut off at the muffler dumped before the axle if you go all the way out the back it won't be as loud as mine. Under normal cruise conditions my car is actually not that loud. WOT screams but normal cruise is not obnoxious at all.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the responses.

Where is a good place to get these "noise cancelling" Magnaflows?? I don't think I've ever seen them.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Where is a good place to get these "noise cancelling" Magnaflows?? I don't think I've ever seen them.

I feel sure that the muffler shop in your area can get them for you. Go here to see what I'm talking about. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=302

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    That is what mine is.
    Flows great, sounds great when WOT and it is pretty tame when driving around.
    For true over the axle and out the back in the stock location duals, they are the only mufflers to use as far as i am concerned. Like you said, QUIET when you need it to be and and a great sound when you stand on it a bit. That's right, they flow like straight pipes because they are actually straight through.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

For true over the axle and out the back in the stock location duals, they are the only mufflers to use as far as i am concerned. Like you said, QUIET when you need it to be and and a great sound when you stand on it a bit. That's right, they flow like straight pipes because they are actually straight through.
    Sounds like they are exactly what I'm looking for.

What diameter Magnaflows do you reccommend?? Looks like they come in 4", 5", and 6".

Like I said, I'm looking for it to be civilized around town and such, under WOT it can have a nice growl though
    Last edited by Wesman; 05-27-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like they are exactly what I'm looking for.

What diameter Magnaflows do you reccommend?? Looks like they come in 4", 5", and 6".

Like I said, I'm looking for it to be civilized around town and such, under WOT it can have a nice growl though
    I would suggest that you use the 6 inch round ones and go with 2 1/2 inch pipes from the cats all the way out the back. Have the mufflers placed one on each side of the rear tub.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I would suggest that you use the 6 inch round ones and go with 2 1/2 inch pipes from the cats all the way out the back. Have the mufflers placed one on each side of the rear tub.
    Sounds good. I'm definitely going with 2.5" pipes.

Thanks for the help.

Resident F-body helper
    As stated above...definitely go with a dedicated muffler to each line.

Our our latest project Camaro, We have 16" bullets crossed with an "H" pipe on our custom true dual setup. It sound sweet...but HOLY SWEET JESUS is it loud. It's coupled with LT's and no cats. ...definitely not a Sunday morning car...haha

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eric @ W.A.R. View Post
    As stated above...definitely go with a dedicated muffler to each line.

Our our latest project Camaro, We have 16" bullets crossed with an "H" pipe on our custom true dual setup. It sound sweet...but HOLY SWEET JESUS is it loud. It's coupled with LT's and no cats. ...definitely not a Sunday morning car...haha
    Ah hell I leave my house at 5:30am every Sunday with my LT's, ORY and LM

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I'm looking to get true duals installed by a local shop in the near future. As of right now I have Longtubes couples to an ORY and a Flowmaster catback.

However, I'm having trouble trying to decide on what muffler(s) to use. I know a lot of guys go with bullets or 1 Chambers, but that is extremely loud. I drive this car around town alot, and I can't be shaking the ground when I come through my neighborhood at night. Its just not practical to have my car obnoxiously loud.

So I was thinking of doing a setup similar to the Basani True dual system, with a single dual in/dual out muffler. I found a new muffler that dynomax makes, called the Untra-Flow X. Its a dual in/dual out, with a straight through/glasspack x-pipe design inside the muffler. Heres a pic:

Click for full size

Anyone have any experience using a muffler like this with a True Dual 2.5" over the axle setup??
    That muff is better suited for a truck.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    That muff is better suited for a truck.
    Yea it probably is.

I ordered two Magnaflow 6" Stainless Round Mufflers, they should be here on Monday

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Exhaust shop just called me, they said the passenger side muffler (6" Magnaflow) won't fit between the spare tire well and the rear tub.

How can we get it to fit?? I'd prefer not to be ordering new Mufflers. I'm going to go any take a look at it on my way to work, any suggestions are appreciated.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

They beat my car up with a rubber mallet.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    They beat my car up with a rubber mallet.
    Are you being serious lol?? Because thats what it looks like we're going to have to do. The chintzy weld where the two pieces of metal come together for the spare tire well sticks out right in the way of the muffler and forces it off center.

I went and talked to the guy thats doing it and he said he will try and pound it out of the way with some crude hammering, I gave him the go ahead because I don't see how else the muffler will fit.

Do you have the 6" Round Magnaflows as well??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I think mine are 5x8's.
    But yeah...did some BFH work to the underside to fit them.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

No hammering the spare tire well. The muffler will not set straight. The muffler that come from the factory on our cars have twin out lets on each side. Do you know why? That's right, the passangers side pipe does not come out the same distance from the outside of the car as the drivers side pipe does. That is why there are twin outlets on each side of the factory dual outlet muffler. Also, if you will notice, the factory twin tip extentions are designed with that off set in mind. They were designed with an offset to the right so that the pipes would look even when viewed from the back. So, I would suggest using off set dual outlet extentions on each side. NO WAY AM I GOING TO LET SOMEONE BEAT AND BANG ON THE UNDER SIDE OF MY CAR!!!!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

NO WAY AM I GOING TO LET SOMEONE BEAT AND BANG ON THE UNDER SIDE OF MY CAR!!!!!
    Can't tell unless you are looking for it. Didn't effect anything.

My mufflers are offset to assist in fit.

Thread Information