2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

tired of the exhaust..

i have bought 2 different sets of band clamps without luck. my y pipe after time comes off the headers. im thinking about just welding them to the pipe. will i cuase anything to blow up? lol im willing to try one more set of band clamps if anybody has some specific ones that you guys now work.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You have to tighten the crap out of the band clamps. Not sure what you are using, but it should have either a lock washer and/or a lock nut on it. If not, replace that before going to the expense of changing out the whole clamp. I wouldn't weld it as you then commit yourself to a more permanent install that is not as easy to remove in the event of a future problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

agreed...welding them can mean a huge pain in the ass for you down the road. Not sure why you would have so much trouble with the band clamps though. What brand headers and Y? Have you tried using loctite on the bolts? Crank the piss out of those clamps and loctite the nuts.

Black
    2000 SS

You can always run something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-15930/

I run band clamps on both 4th gens with Pacesetter headers and Y-pipes.

Been on there for a few years now and I haven't had to touch a thing. I can't imagine everything sliding apart,,,,I had to unbolt the catback just to get everything together,,,once the Y-pipe was in there and the catback buttoned back up,,,there is no way anything would slide apart unless the entire exhaust system moved backwards a good 4 inches,,,and that's not happening

You've got something else going on other than a bandclamp issue I would think.

In any event, they make 2 styles of those band clamps. One style has a step in them pre-made that is supposed to fit over the step made from sliding the 2 pipes together....avoid this style, they don't fit as tight, tend to leak.

The other style is made completely flat all the way accross. When you clamp it down, as it tightens it starts to form that step where the pipes overlap. The more you tighten the better it forms. I find these clamp down a bit harder and seal better.

When I go to a place like Napa, you'll have to ask for these specifically. Most of the time they'll have the stepped style on the rack.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Weld it and forget it.. You can easily cut it off with a sawall.. I don't piss with clamps.. If I do I keep them to a minimum and I weld all my exhausts.. An exhaust full of clamps looks like crap..imho To each their own I guess..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

That's why you weld other areas, and use clamps in strategic places....so as to easily remove the exhaust when need be. Especially a 4th gen where removing the rear portion is a reality for fuel pump changes, and the front portion form dropping the transmission for clutch changes.
    If you start cutting things, then you are forced to but-weld it back, not the best looking, you can't do that repeatably.

I prefer to use the 3 bolt header flanges myself, the rest is welded to the mufflers, where I'll have another set of quick disconnect 3 bolt flanges, then the tailpipes are welded.

I can take the entire system off in about 15 minutes, and it bolts right back up, don't even have to waste any welding supplies

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's why you weld other areas, and use clamps in strategic places....so as to easily remove the exhaust when need be. Especially a 4th gen where removing the rear portion is a reality for fuel pump changes, and the front portion form dropping the transmission for clutch changes.
    If you start cutting things, then you are forced to but-weld it back, not the best looking, you can't do that repeatably.

I prefer to use the 3 bolt header flanges myself, the rest is welded to the mufflers, where I'll have another set of quick disconnect 3 bolt flanges, then the tailpipes are welded.

I can take the entire system off in about 15 minutes, and it bolts right back up, don't even have to waste any welding supplies
    Yes that is why I have used clamps or do flanges for ease of removel.. But when in doubt I hack it out....

Oh and for the record, I did'nt have to remove anything but my exhaust hangers to do my fuel pump 3-4 hrs the hard way no hole cutting , let the exhaust lay on the axle..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.

I've got a 3 bolt flange at the muffler where the main I-pipe comes in.
    I simply take those bolts out, and the entire muffler assembly along with the tailpipes still attached, drops right out of the car, Just unhook the rubber tailpipe hangers, piece of cake.

Here is another example I did. Everything is welded, accept towards the rearend, where I used a pair of band clamps. I can drop the entire X-pipe system from the rearend forward in minutes. Then the muffler and tailpipes drop out the back side.
    You can use the clamps only where needed and it doesn't hinder the look of the exhaust at all.

For the original poster,,,here are the different band clamps I was referring to.

Here is a shot of the clamps I like to avoid,,,I don't care for the pre-made step.

Unfortunately I don't have an extra band clamp of the style I prefer to use,,,but here is the packaging from Napa, it's made just like the one above but without the pre-formed step. These tend to clamp much tighter for me. You generally have to ask for them. Both styles are sold at Napa.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You could use some new band clamps, then have a couple 1/4'' tack welds on the pipe joings to hold things together. I don't know why you're having issues, I used the band clamps that came with my Hooker headers/ORY over 4 years ago, and nothing has come loose.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

wow well the style you just told me to avoid was what i been gettin maybe thats the problem. anybody know where i can get exhaust hangers? i know mine came withs ome but it look slike they are bend already i could bend them back but i just need some new ones.

Thread Information