Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Time for some exhausting work (pun intended)

So last night my car started making a TERRIBLE metal rattling sound. sure enough it's loud as hell when i put my ear under the rear of the car. It only makes this sound at idle and I'm assuming that something internal to my muffler just decided it wasn't worth hanging on any longer.

Here's my dilema. I wish to keep my car emissions legal if I can help it. I also like to go way overboard with things as evidenced by my stereo and the fact that my stock LS1 is being fed into a monster stage 3 kit and a tick master cylinder when an LS7 kit and a drill mod would have been MORE than enough.

I don't want my car to be much louder than the stock SLP it came with. I think it has good enough volume for me to enjoy it and to not draw too much unwanted attention.

With those two points in mind I'd like recommendations on what I should do with my exhaust system. going catless would cause a dramatic increase in volume so i'd probably pass on that. I have a hawk so my over the axle pipe is 3inches. I don't think SLP sells the original firehawk muffler and tips and even if the one they offer now is the same it'd cost me about 5-600 just to stay stock.

What can I do that will get me a little more oomph without causing a jump in volume or ruining my emissions status. I'm fairly OK with the idea of getting high flow cats to pair with aftermarket headers if I ever went that route. getting close to 65k miles on this hawk so clogged cats are prob in my future anyway

I like my quad tips so any suggestions that include quad tips are extra appreciated.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Why not a Magnaflow muffler with...wait for it...Corsa Clones? OR...you could go with a Flowmaster muffler and keep your existing tips. Just a thought.

blue
    1999 TransAm

magnaflow

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

been listening to some clips of cars with the quad tip magnaflow cat back. sounds even quieter than my SLP muffler. I love the look of their quad tips. and the sound changes entirely when the magnaflow is combined with an ORY and no cats. then it's LOUD!

I might need to do that. Get the Magnaflow 16723 cat back. I wonder if it makes more power than the stock SLP cat back. Would be nice to get a little extra for the work. Granted the car needs something to be done either way lol.

Any other suggestions that are comparable to the stock SLP setup? I originally wanted to go LT's and ORY with cats and the stock cat back setup. I've heard good things about that kind of combo.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Then go for the Magnaflow. The tips are ENORMOUS. Had you made it to last years Spazapalooza, you would have heard Jeff's car. Has a nice rumble at idle but growls under acceleration.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Were you that drunk when i arrived last year? lol I certainly did see Jeff's car. He probably has the most well put together bird around. That thing just screams bulletproof. I also love the tips on the magnaflow. however, I feel like it's actually quieter than my stock SLP muffler. Maybe high flow cats would fix that??? i don't know. It's hard to tell which magnaflow the youtube cars are running. most also don't tell the whole story about their setups. some sound great some just sound like nearly stock cars still others are LOUD AS HELL! all magnaflows lol.

IIRC wasn't slowass running magnaflows. that sound of that car blasting out WOT from under the bridge in the opening of the vid is pretty much THE reason I own a hawk today.

Thread Information