Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Ticking after header install

I have just installed pacesetters and now that they are installed there seems to be a ticking when i open the throttle a little. I have read up and was wondering could it be the egr gasket is not seated properly or tightened enough. any ideas?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

our cars are noisy bitches, mine does it to it has a light mechanical tinking noise, only way to fix that is to get a new valve kit, that or put loudmouth on so you cant hear anything.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

mine did it too. i come to find out that the header gasket was leaking. replaced it and no more noise.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Use stock GM gaskets to help with the leak If that aint it its probably the valvetrain... but gaskets are the easiests and cheapest

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Use stock GM gaskets to help with the leak If that aint it its probably the valvetrain... but gaskets are the easiests and cheapest
    +1
    Replace all the gaskets with GM metal ones. If the tick is still there, report to your local engine shop and get the valves looked at.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Mine does the same with Pacesetters and GM gaskets....probably the valvetrain. Lifter tap maybe?

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

If it didn't do it before the header install, but does it after, it's probably an exhaust leak caused by the gaskets. If it has always done it, then it's possibly something in the valvetrain. But in my experience they are not the same sound. A valve or rocker is a noticeable metal on metal tapping where the exhaust leak is more of a ticking sound. I don't know how to explain it any better, but once you've heard the difference you'll be able to tell most of the time.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor View Post
    If it didn't do it before the header install, but does it after, it's probably an exhaust leak caused by the gaskets. If it has always done it, then it's possibly something in the valvetrain. But in my experience they are not the same sound. A valve or rocker is a noticeable metal on metal tapping where the exhaust leak is more of a ticking sound. I don't know how to explain it any better, but once you've heard the difference you'll be able to tell most of the time.
    My problem is I've never heard the difference...somebody bring me your broke car so I can listen to it lol. I will have to get in there and check my header bolts again, then add the fastener and C-clip, since they are Stage 8's. Shouldn't be the gasket itself since it's stock GM....I hope.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    My problem is I've never heard the difference...somebody bring me your broke car so I can listen to it lol. I will have to get in there and check my header bolts again, then add the fastener and C-clip, since they are Stage 8's. Shouldn't be the gasket itself since it's stock GM....I hope.
    Ya, it takes experience. I've screwed up a few exhaust gaskets and rocker/valves in my time so I know the sound well. But next time I have that problem I'll bring it to you so you can hear it.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor View Post
    Ya, it takes experience. I've screwed up a few exhaust gaskets and rocker/valves in my time so I know the sound well. But next time I have that problem I'll bring it to you so you can hear it.
    At least you're only a state away

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

red
    00 z28

i just put my headers on 2 nites ago, heard a ticking noise, popped the hood and had a plug wire arcing! make sure thats not your prob, now i have to buy some angled boots

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

broke off one of the header bolts great!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course it had to be the back one had to take off the head get it drill out and reinstall all purrs like a beast now thanks for the help everyone

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I just installed headers and when my car sits for about 3 min or so it starts to make a ticking sound. It will go away when i rev it slighty and it only ticks when it sits...never when im driving or when it sits for less than 3 min. any help is appreciated.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I just installed headers and when my car sits for about 3 min or so it starts to make a ticking sound. It will go away when i rev it slighty and it only ticks when it sits...never when im driving or when it sits for less than 3 min. any help is appreciated.

I have been waiting to use that one, start a new thread so you get more replys, as far as that ticking just the nature of the beast.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post

I have been waiting to use that one, start a new thread so you get more replys, as far as that ticking just the nature of the beast.
    Its like the slow clap......

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    i really dont know man.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i've had the same problem. My headers got installed almost two years ago and I noticed a ticking problem. Too bad i didn't take it back to the guy then. I have pacesetter and i got my gaskets from napa, so im sure it's GM. I can't tell if it keeps ticking when i rev it cuz the engine is too loud. Other than the noise, is there anything really bad about a header gasket leaking?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    i've had the same problem. My headers got installed almost two years ago and I noticed a ticking problem. Too bad i didn't take it back to the guy then. I have pacesetter and i got my gaskets from napa, so im sure it's GM. I can't tell if it keeps ticking when i rev it cuz the engine is too loud. Other than the noise, is there anything really bad about a header gasket leaking?
    Lost power, excessive backfiring, stumbling idle, etc.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Lost power, excessive backfiring, stumbling idle, etc.
    damn, well i haven't gotten it tuned yet so idk how much power i'm losing. my car does backfire from time for time but that could be the tune as well. i wish it was easy to replace the gasket, idk if its worth it to pay some dude hundreds of dollars for it

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Weeelll, I found my problem...I've had to have overlooked it a million times... I had a header bolt COMPLETELY back out on me... that's what I get for not putting the stops and C-clips on my Stage 8's the first time around...I had to go hunt down my box with my OE header studs and put one in there...well, the wife did so I wouldn't have to take stuff apart. She has tiny little hands and she loves to help out, which is also cool But, no more ticking

Thread Information