Awaiting Activation

Which Throttle Body??? S3 vs. BBK

Hey guys I'm debating which throttle body i want. Should i have my stocker ported and polished by Mark Shaner (S3) or should i get the BBK 80mm? I know that the S3 will be fine for my car, but they are pretty close in price. The S3 will cost me $125 or $160 (depending on finish) and the BBK $185ish on ebay. Which one will i see more gains with? If the gains are the same i might just go with the BBK because i love the look of it. I will be getting a LS6 intake manifold to match this eventually. Power gains for the BBK say 8-12hp and the S3 7-10hp. What do you think i will really get? Thanks!
    Last edited by 99blueZ; 10-07-2006 at 01:58 PM.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Ported TB always a great mod, most usually see the claimed gains, anywhere from 7-10 at the wheels but more importantly a better and smoother throttle response.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

IMHO you can't beat the Shaner Ported TBs, and Mark's customer service is great even if he has a little turn around time.

Here is ours before I installed it...

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Is your ride a stocker, if it is don't fuck with T/B just yet.... Do other mods first.

Personally i love my 80mm BBK 80, but it was one of the last mods i did not first.....
    yea i already have a few mods. - in sig. I will also be adding LT headers to that list too and hopefully a cam.

Shaner does make a pretty decent product. I have been meaning to send my TB in, but ive hesitated for personal reasons.

Hes not a sponsor right?
    And paying him isnt as easy as just clicking "credit card" on his side either, right?

Its been a while since looking into this..
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Shaner does make a pretty decent product. I have been meaning to send my TB in, but ive hesitated for personal reasons.

Hes not a sponsor right?
    And paying him isnt as easy as just clicking "credit card" on his side either, right?

Its been a while since looking into this..
    You pay him through paypal...so you'll need a paypal account. You'll need to put a deposit down if he's not actually porting your TB....or he'll just send you a ported one and you send him your stocker.

I have the S2 and it's great...the porting is really good and even the bump stop mod was dead on opening the throttle blade perfectly.

blue
    2000 camaro z28

anyone know how i can get in contact with shaner or any of the porting guys ? via call, website, email, etc. thanks

txcosmos
    s2performance.net

call him, number on the website.

Don't go with the billett, I just had him rebuild mine.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL....Mark is a chain smoking SOB....Ciggarette butts everywhere...got two ol wore ass out BIG dogs.....go in his garage and there are throttle bodies stacked to the ceiling Little lathe on a workbench and dremel tools and bits laying everywhere......but...
    Boy is the best....can flat ass port and polish a throttle body.....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the tuner at speed inc told me a couple of years ago that ported t/bs are a crapshoot. when you dyno a car before and after, sometimes you see gains, sometimes not. needless to say, mine is stock
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    the tuner at speed inc told me a couple of years ago that ported t/bs are a crapshoot. when you dyno a car before and after, sometimes you see gains, sometimes not. needless to say, mine is stock
    You cheap pollack...that ported TB would have shaved that .06 off and got you in the 11's!!!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    LOL....Mark is a chain smoking SOB....Ciggarette butts everywhere...got two ol wore ass out BIG dogs.....go in his garage and there are throttle bodies stacked to the ceiling Little lathe on a workbench and dremel tools and bits laying everywhere......but...
    Boy is the best....can flat ass port and polish a throttle body.....
    agreed, Sarge i've been there too. hes a cool dude. he sold me an s3 polished. i could definately see a difference in the throttle response. i think its worth it, fo sho.

I never knew if I should get an S2 or an S3. No one has ANY dyno charts between ONLY those two on the same car.

that's because after anymod that messes with the amount of air you can throw into your engine needs to be tuned for it. More air and the same amount of fuel causes you to run lean. BTW speedinc is pathetic when it comes to taking care of your car and doing what you ask, they're all about cheating the system to make an extra buck.

txcosmos
    I got 12 rwhp going to the MTI TB. Everthing was good until Mark Shaner had to come to the resuce and rebuild it. He also ported and polished it even more. This guy knows his shit, and he's not out to screw anyone. He offers a great product for a good price, and his service can't be beat.

2002 TA

BBK all the way.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post
    that's because after anymod that messes with the amount of air you can throw into your engine needs to be tuned for it. More air and the same amount of fuel causes you to run lean. BTW speedinc is pathetic when it comes to taking care of your car and doing what you ask, they're all about cheating the system to make an extra buck.
    i know speedinc is all about the money, then again so is everyother business.
    while the tuner there (jeff) can be an ass, he is one of the best tuners in the states

i know speedinc is all about the money, then again so is everyother business.
    while the tuner there (jeff) can be an ass, he is one of the best tuners in the states
    yea my tune was nice but it was on a dynojet, A/F was dead on but had to get it adjusted to correct for it being lean in real world conditions

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Go with the Shaner, you will NOT regret it. He's one GREAT guy to deal with.
    Totally happy with the one he did for me on my 6-speed car.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

Thread Information