Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Throttle Body, Quick bolt ons

So i got a question i just bought a 99 ss and wondering what throttle body is the best? Stock fine just clean it up or should i go for something else???? I want to know some good hp gains for bolt ons. i heard dont bother with the maf but let me know some really good stuff to bolt on; Thanks

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Porting the stock one is plenty
    Search up ported throttle bodies, if you got a dremel its not hard at all

Red
    00 Z28

just did mine this weekend and its actually very easy. the only thing you need is a dremel and some grinding attachments

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Porting the stock one is plenty
    Search up ported throttle bodies, if you got a dremel its not hard at all
    Ur going to get minimal porting this way and it might not be worth the effort. To port properly u will need a larger butterfly. Make sure its done right or u will have idle and many other problems and regret it. I suggest getting an 80mm TB if you don’t have a reputable place to port it properly.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have a Shaner S3 ported TB and its a beautiful piece of work!! Google S2 performance

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    Ur going to get minimal porting this way and it might not be worth the effort. To port properly u will need a larger butterfly. Make sure its done right or u will have idle and many other problems and regret it. I suggest getting an 80mm TB if you don’t have a reputable place to port it properly.
    Not exactly, if you look at the stock TB it actually gets smaller than the blade and then opens up. There is like a hump in between the opening and the blade. What you do when porting is grind down that hump and create a smooth transition between the opening and the blade. Not a huge HP gain to be gained but you do get increased throttle response. And its practically free if you got the tools.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Not exactly, if you look at the stock TB it actually gets smaller than the blade and then opens up. There is like a hump in between the opening and the blade. What you do when porting is grind down that hump and create a smooth transition between the opening and the blade. Not a huge HP gain to be gained but you do get increased throttle response. And its practically free if you got the tools.
    yeah, i gotcha. I agree with ya but I think a "full" port to around 78mm would be best.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    yeah, i gotcha. I agree with ya but I think a "full" port to around 78mm would be best.
    That is essencially what you're doing, just opening up thesmallest part of the funnel to 78mm or whatever the stock blade is

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I had the same question u have.
    I was confused bout what to get or what's better.
    I was lookin at expensive throttle bodies.
    So some members here gave me the advice of portin my tb. And I did it, so I bought at stock 75mm ported and polish for $60 on eBay
    and it does work. So IMO I would do that.
    Bt it's your desicion. It's hard to decide

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I understand the general concept I believe. But can someone explain how the "hump" or size makes a difference. Is it less restriction? Is it larger volume?
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    I understand the general concept I believe. But can someone explain how the "hump" or size makes a difference. Is it less restriction? Is it larger volume?
    Yes, better flow = more efficiency in most cases.. of course there can be more to it but in a nut shell this is usually the case. For proper ventury fitment you're going to want to get the opening as "true" round as possible. I would recommend after you get it as round as you can, to run an honing tool through it a few times for a clean fit around the circumferance of where the ventury will rotate.. A machine shop is the only way to get it exactly right though.. That's how I built and machined mine myself anyway.. just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-23-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I swapped out my stock for a ported I got on Ebay. Made a difference with the volant and Ls6 intake swap.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I seen those ones on ebay that were 60 bucks but was kinda nerovus about buying one off there cause they seemed junk. I work at a machine shop and could do it myself easitly. I just wasnt sure if i should just spend the cash and get like a bbk or something. Do you think not worth it just port it myself? Thats how it sounds from you guys. This is what i like i ask a question get a bunch of answers perfect this is how it should be. Thanks guys i'm pumped to do some work to this car. Once it stops raining around here i'll take it out of the garage and get some good pictures up it looks and sounds awesome!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    I seen those ones on ebay that were 60 bucks but was kinda nerovus about buying one off there cause they seemed junk. I work at a machine shop and could do it myself easitly. I just wasnt sure if i should just spend the cash and get like a bbk or something. Do you think not worth it just port it myself? Thats how it sounds from you guys. This is what i like i ask a question get a bunch of answers perfect this is how it should be. Thanks guys i'm pumped to do some work to this car. Once it stops raining around here i'll take it out of the garage and get some good pictures up it looks and sounds awesome!
    If you're a machine shop Apprentice this would be an excellent project for you. That's just my oppinion though. If not, maybe a good opportunatey to get your feet wet in machining practices if you're interested. I say go for it, nothing to loose..

If you're a Journeymen Machinest or better then you don't need my oppy.. You know what to do already..

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

ya i'll give it a shot i was just gonna buy one but i might as well go for it. i seen on ls1 performance it was saying take the screen out of my maf and a few other easy free things to add hp not sure about trusting it but he seemed to know what he was doing, porting the tb was one of the things he did also

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yup, no need in buying one if you know what you're doing

Here is a drawing i just made up, not exact by any means and done completely by memory. It is exaggerated but you should get the point if you don't already.

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

ya i'll give it a shot i was just gonna buy one but i might as well go for it. i seen on ls1 performance it was saying take the screen out of my maf and a few other easy free things to add hp not sure about trusting it but he seemed to know what he was doing, porting the tb was one of the things he did also
    There was a thread a while back about removing the MAF screen. A few guys seemed to think it was a good idea to keep it in after seeing things it had caught (grass, little rocks, etc.) Think it might have been in the external engine forum

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    There was a thread a while back about removing the MAF screen. A few guys seemed to think it was a good idea to keep it in after seeing things it had caught (grass, little rocks, etc.) Think it might have been in the external engine forum
    Leave the maf alone!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

thanks alot tater i'll be doing that this week at the shop should be simple, i hear about the coolant being worthless and to get rid of it also so i'll do that do see what kind of difference i get. I appreciate the help

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

thanks alot tater i'll be doing that this week at the shop should be simple, i hear about the coolant being worthless and to get rid of it also so i'll do that do see what kind of difference i get. I appreciate the help
    glad to help, and post pics when you're done. I wanna see how it ends up.

Thread Information