Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Throttle Body Help Please!

Can anyone tell me if these holes are suppose to be in the factory TB blade? My car does not idle right and just thought maybe this has something to do with it??? LMK your thoughts, Thanks!

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Not sure why nobody responded yet...

But the bottom hole = YES, the top hole = NO

Someone probably drilled the 2nd hole to help with idling issues with a big cam.

Cover the top hole with some masking tape and see if it idles better...that will tell you.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Not sure why nobody responded yet...

But the bottom hole = YES, the top hole = NO

Someone probably drilled the 2nd hole to help with idling issues with a big cam.

Cover the top hole with some masking tape and see if it idles better...that will tell you.
    agree. is this the original TB? or did you swap it out?

We try to answer as many post as we can. Some of us work long shifts or can get on the site 24/7. But there is someone that will help out(like you Bryceslu), sometimes it just take some time.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

+3 no need for the second hole..

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

Those holes are supposed to be there

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I wasn't sure if that was the original TB. Mine has only the bottom hole and it has a blue spring on the throttle not gray.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider095 View Post
    My 98 doesn't have the extra hole. It could be a difference in the different years. I'm sure you can make it work but you will need to tune the idle if it isn't the original TB.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-05-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If covering the second hole solves your idle issue then you get a small bolt, a small rubber washer and a nut. that will cover the hole.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-05-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with others. I'm almost 100% positive only 1 hole is present in the stock throttle body.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agree with others. I'm almost 100% positive only 1 hole is present in the stock throttle body.
    +1 it is only 1 hole, I just looked at my stock tb.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-06-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider095 View Post
    ummm no...stock throttle body has 1 hole at the bottom.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    If covering the second hole solves your idle issue then you get a small bolt, a small rubber washer and a nut. that will cover the hole.
    How much will that affect airflow? I imagine if there were any affect, it would be greatest at WOT.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

1 hole on stock TB

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Also the top second hole is not in line of the bottom one. It is a little to the left of the center.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    How much will that affect airflow? I imagine if there were any affect, it would be greatest at WOT.
    thats a good question. Thats why I suggest to cover it and see if the idle goes back to normal. These holes won't do anything in WOT since the blade is open.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Thanks for all the replies folks!! I didnt think anyone was going to respond.....then BOOM! LOL!

Ok.... here is what I know and what has happened over the past few days, very interesting and now I need help more than ever!!!!!

I bought the car from a bank that had repoed it from the previous owner. I had NO history except the carfax, which was golden. I bought the car in the Reading, PA area. Drove out there and picked it up and brought it back here to Indiana. I knew going out there it had open headers on it and took a friends ORY and bullet muffler with me so I could test drive the car and hear it run and make sure the motor had no knocks etc. The car only has 38k miles on it.

I bolted on the borrowed exhaust in the bank parking lot and test drove the car. Motor sounded good with no knocks. Bought it and brought it home. I bought my own ORY and Magnaflow cat back kit. I took the borrowed exhaust back to my buddy and let him listen to.... and drive my car. He immediately says the car has a cam in it!! We pop the hood and start looking hard at water pump bolts, timing cover bolts etc. and sure enough you can see they have had sockets on them. So I tell him how it wont idle right.... he says I just need to get it tuned.

Soooo now Im really curious about what has been done to the car. I called the bank in PA and ask the lady that did the paper work on the car if she would help me get in touch with the previous owner....she says she cant give out his info. Im pretty disappointed! I tell her my dilemma with not knowing what was done to the car. After sweet talking her for a few minutes and long story short she gives me enough info to track his Dad down I called him and he was very willing to help me out....and did the best he could! He was not happy with his son buying this car to start with. Said his son took out 2 loans... 1. to buy the car and he drove it for about 10k miles then went back and got a second loan to do engine mods about 5 years ago. He said his son wasnt around to ask specifics, but that he knew his son had taken the car to a guy that had the fastest TA in the country and it was in the Reading PA area as well. He also said just a couple weeks ago...after 5 years, he just threw out the old parts from the car that had been sitting in his shed and he was tired of them taking up space. So...obviously I asked what all he threw out. He said.." A cam, some lifters, valve springs, and push rods, the complete exhaust system and a couple other things that he couldnt remember what they were.

Ok....so now I have SOME idea of parts replaced and where the shop was that did the work.

I ask the father.... Why did the car sit for 5 years? He says his son didnt have the money to put the exhaust on the car, lost his job, lost interest in the car and it just sat in the garage. He asked his dad to borrow money to finish the car and the dad wouldnt help because he was pissed at him for "Buying the car, for hot rodding the engine, and borrowing money to hot rod the engine" So the son couldnt make the payments and the bank repoed the car.

So I had no idea when I bought the car of this history. I did some research online and came up with a guy named Mike from
    Rapid Motorsports that has on his website this info about the fastest TA...a few years ago..... AND he is in the Reading PA area. Im pretty certain he is the one who did the engine work on the car! I have called twice and left voice mail and emailed him. He hasnt gotten back with me I want to ask what all was done to the car....get cam specs etc. Im sure he had to have done some sort of tune to the car..... or it would be throwing codes all over the place and not run at all.....right?? I have no rear 02's, no cats. It runs GREAT! Except for the idle issue...... Which is not super bad... When I stop at a light...stop sign etc the car will idle at 2000 rpm and after sitting still for a few seconds will drop down to 1000 rpm....... which at this point you can really notice the cam. I think if it were to idle much lower it might die????

If anyone took the time to read all this and understands my situation and is willing to still help.... Im all ears! Thanks again!
    Last edited by daytonayellaz; 06-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks!! I didnt think anyone was going to respond.....then BOOM! LOL!

Ok.... here is what I know and what has happened over the past few days, very interesting and now I need help more than ever!!!!!

I bought the car from a bank that had repoed it from the previous owner. I had NO history except the carfax, which was golden. I bought the car in the Reading, PA area. Drove out there and picked it up and brought it back here to Indiana. I knew going out there it had open headers on it and took a friends ORY and bullet muffler with me so I could test drive the car and hear it run and make sure the motor had no knocks etc. The car only has 38k miles on it.

I bolted on the borrowed exhaust in the bank parking lot and test drove the car. Motor sounded good with no knocks. Bought it and brought it home. I bought my own ORY and Magnaflow cat back kit. I took the borrowed exhaust back to my buddy and let him listen to.... and drive my car. He immediately says the car has a cam in it!! We pop the hood and start looking hard at water pump bolts, timing cover bolts etc. and sure enough you can see they have had sockets on them. So I tell him how it wont idle right.... he says I just need to get it tuned.

Soooo now Im really curious about what has been done to the car. I called the bank in PA and ask the lady that did the paper work on the car if she would help me get in touch with the previous owner....she says she cant give out his info. Im pretty disappointed! I tell her my dilemma with not knowing what was done to the car. After sweet talking her for a few minutes and long story short she gives me enough info to track his Dad down I called him and he was very willing to help me out....and did the best he could! He was not happy with his son buying this car to start with. Said his son took out 2 loans... 1. to buy the car and he drove it for about 10k miles then went back and got a second loan to do engine mods about 5 years ago. He said his son wasnt around to ask specifics, but that he knew his son had taken the car to a guy that had the fastest TA in the country and it was in the Reading PA area as well. He also said just a couple weeks ago...after 5 years, he just threw out the old parts from the car that had been sitting in his shed and he was tired of them taking up space. So...obviously I asked what all he threw out. He said.." A cam, some lifters, valve springs, and push rods, the complete exhaust system and a couple other things that he couldnt remember what they were.

Ok....so now I have SOME idea of parts replaced and where the shop was that did the work.

I ask the father.... Why did the car sit for 5 years? He says his son didnt have the money to put the exhaust on the car, lost his job, lost interest in the car and it just sat in the garage. He asked his dad to borrow money to finish the car and the dad wouldnt help because he was pissed at him for "Buying the car, for hot rodding the engine, and borrowing money to hot rod the engine" So the son couldnt make the payments and the bank repoed the car.

So I had no idea when I bought the car of this history. I did some research online and came up with a guy named Mike from
    Rapid Motorsports that has on his website this info about the fastest TA...a few years ago..... AND he is in the Reading PA area. Im pretty certain he is the one who did the engine work on the car! I have called twice and left voice mail and emailed him. He hasnt gotten back with me I want to ask what all was done to the car....get cam specs etc. Im sure he had to have done some sort of tune to the car..... or it would be throwing codes all over the place and not run at all.....right?? I have no rear 02's, no cats. It runs GREAT! Except for the idle issue...... Which is not super bad... When I stop at a light...stop sign etc the car will idle at 2000 rpm and after sitting still for a few seconds will drop down to 1000 rpm....... which at this point you can really notice the cam. I think if it were to idle much lower it might die????

If anyone took the time to read all this and understands my situation and is willing to still help.... Im all ears! Thanks again!
    well with all the info that you found I will suggest you to take the car to get it tuned. Even you got all this info from the father you still don't know for sure what got moded. Your issue could be tuned related. It could be a bad sensor. A tuner can tell you what going on and make the necessary adjustments. Once the car is check by the tuner then if you have any other issues at least you know the car was tuned. Is possible that the TB that you have was tuned and thats why it is in your vehicle.

Just to make sure, have you scanned the car for codes? have you cleared them and see which ones are coming up?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Update..... I plugged the upper hole. When pulling up to a stop it now idles at 1500 for a few seconds before dropping down to 1000. So its better...... Still not good though. Any thoughts??

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
    Update..... I plugged the upper hole. When pulling up to a stop it now idles at 1500 for a few seconds before dropping down to 1000. So its better...... Still not good though. Any thoughts??
    is the SES light on? have you cleaned the throttle body? Also check the IAC and make sure is clean. sometimes it gets stuck and some good cleaning makes it work again. it is the small top electric motor on the driver's side of the TB.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    is the SES light on? have you cleaned the throttle body? Also check the IAC and make sure is clean. sometimes it gets stuck and some good cleaning makes it work again. it is the small top electric motor on the driver's side of the TB.
    I dont have any lights on at all..... I know they all work, when I start the car they all light up.

Yea... I cleaned everything up. When I plugged the hole. Im going to go check it for codes real quick. Post back in a few minutes. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information