Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thinking about headers install....

Hi all. Im almost done with my upgrades but i still have the torque arm relocation bracket and maybe headers.

the relocation bracket is easy but the headers might take me some time. i think i can do this. My question is: will any header work fine? I mean installation and functionality wise?

i was looking for something decent it doesnt have to be chrome. is ebay a good place to look? I was looking at these ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTI...item2a08289817

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heade...item2a082291b3
    Last edited by JayTA98; 06-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Most people who have gotten headers off ebay havent had any problems that ive read. I got a set of flowtech ceramic coated ones though. Theres a header install thread in this section. Id also recommend getting new spark plugs considering you have to take them out anyway.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Most people who have gotten headers off ebay havent had any problems that ive read. I got a set of flowtech ceramic coated ones though. Theres a header install thread in this section. Id also recommend getting new spark plugs considering you have to take them out anyway.
    I have the ebay headers and they work fine. The install was fairly easy. Like already said plug change and if you want to do motor mounts DO THEM WITH THE HEADERS! Don't be a dumb ass like me and do them later.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Lol ok I will really think on doing the engine mounts too. Does these headers can be installed with stock cats and the stock y pipe? i currently have stock headers cats and y pipe and the the borla exhaust. If not I will like to have cats on my setup. Do i need to get these and have a shop weld them? Does the ORY pipe that hear about a direct bolt on?

I just keep reading about the car getting raspy without cats and i will like to keep them anyway. and lastly do i need to have a tune right of the bad after the headers? I had the mail tune from frost but I'm sure is not adjusted for headers. thanks.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Lol ok I will really think on doing the engine mounts too. Does these headers can be installed with stock cats and the stock y pipe? i currently have stock headers cats and y pipe and the the borla exhaust. If not I will like to have cats on my setup. Do i need to get these and have a shop weld them? Does the ORY pipe that hear about a direct bolt on?

I just keep reading about the car getting raspy without cats and i will like to keep them anyway. and lastly do i need to have a tune right of the bad after the headers? I had the mail tune from frost but I'm sure is not adjusted for headers. thanks.
    you can buy a catted y pipe and it will match the headers to the cat back

as far as the tune the only issue is rear 02 sensors throwing a code unless you connect them

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

frost already deleted the rear O2 sensor as far as I know. Does the cated y pipe has to be the same brand as the headers? Sorry for the questions but im trying to do this all myself as must bolt on as possible. thanks.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

No they do not have to be the same brand however if you want to keep your cats you cant run long tube headers. and from what i hear the stock headers are just as good as any shorty headers

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    No they do not have to be the same brand however if you want to keep your cats you cant run long tube headers. and from what i hear the stock headers are just as good as any shorty headers
    don't know where you read that but its not true.

http://kentucky-speed.com/kooks-cust...36692783cc8301

there is one of many that will bolt up to LTs and catback

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i see that cated y pipe sure looks nice. What is the benefit of keeping the cats besides enviroment? Will it smell more if you don't have cats?

I know an ORY will be cheaper but I won't be able to bolt on cats.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

i see that cated y pipe sure looks nice. What is the benefit of keeping the cats besides enviroment? Will it smell more if you don't have cats?

I know an ORY will be cheaper but I won't be able to bolt on cats.
    cats will quite the car down but also adds restriction. If its a d/d or you have to worry about emissions I would not run cats. I haven't run cats in 3 years but im emissions exempt b/c of mileage where i live.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I dont have to worry about emissions. It's a DD but I don't want it to get too loud either. thanks for the input guys.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I got a set of LPP headers for 500 including the Y pipe!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah im starting to see that the Y pipe is more expensive than the headers that im looking at. I just dont want to have rasp so I will like to get cats with it. Can you buy an ORY pipe and put cats on it at a muffler shop? Can it be cut and the cats get weld on it?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

yeah im starting to see that the Y pipe is more expensive than the headers that im looking at. I just dont want to have rasp so I will like to get cats with it. Can you buy an ORY pipe and put cats on it at a muffler shop? Can it be cut and the cats get weld on it?
    you can always go catless and get a different muffler

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SVG210 View Post
    I got a set of LPP headers for 500 including the Y pipe!
    As did I...horrible decision! Now having to do Solid motor mounts and either grinding the K or clearancing the headers.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

hmm im also looking at the pacesetter with black finish. I really dont care about the finish but more about the installation and fitment. I can get those for $327 brand new. still not sure of what ory will i get but I want to have cats with it. Not sure if it will be cheaper to have a muffler shop make a ORY with the cats from ebay. I don't want to get rid of my borla exhaust.

Thread Information