Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thinking about a custom mid-pipe for factory manifolds

So, I have been over and over the issue of headers and I can't get past the "cons" of running headers. I don't want the noise, the heat, or the clearance issues.

I have a sort of round about plan to get my car to be exactly where I want it.

The problems it currently has:

Ride height too low (it's on Strano Springs with Konis)
    Not enough exhaust flow (stock manifolds/mid pipe/cats running to a 3" Magnaflow)
    Too much chassis "slop."

When it comes to the exhaust, I already feel like there is not enough ground clearance, and would like to see it ride about 5/8" to 3/4" higher. I think that some KWV3s are the solution I'm looking for.

This would give me a little extra room to install a tubular y-pipe instead of the flattened one that is on there now. If I understand it right, a transmission crossmember/torque-arm relocation bracket interacts with the exhaust and so the exhaust and the chassis parts need to be confirmed compatible (hence the custom mid-pipe)

I'm also thinking about extrude honing my exhaust manifolds (since I want to keep engine noise and heat down), but want the custom mid-pipe in order to support the freer flowing exhaust.

Also thinking about upgrading my 2-point subframe connectors to 3-points, which weren't available for verts when I bought mine. Aaaaaand, thinking about a roll bar or but not sure I want to mess with ruining the back seat. Maybe Ed can chime in on whether his back seat is still viable? Also considering a "sport bar" to go over the wind deflector.

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on having a custom fabbed mid pipe to accommodate a cat-back and honed/polished mainfolds? I'm not as concerned with "bang for my buck" or "power per dollar" as much as I'm concerned with getting as much power as I can without making the car obnoxious to drive (or live next door to).
    Last edited by Naaman; 09-24-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One word -- Kooks. LT's are the only way to go on these cars. I have never had an issue with "noise" or "heat".

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

If I WERE to get LTs, then Kooks would be the answer, for sure.

Now, when you say "noise" and "heat" are you saying that there is no additional noise or heat, or that the additional noise and heat has never caused a problem?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Heat no real issues. Noise is in the ears of the beholder. I can't stand Rustmaster Mufflers cause of the rasp but love Magnaflow and Borla cause of the nice throaty rumble.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Agreed. I have a magnaflow right now. I just hate the sound of all the cars I hear with headers on them... way to loud and obnoxious.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When would you like to fly out to PA to hear our car? My secret -- we have the Kooks catted Y-pipe. I guarantee that the sound of our car would be music to your ears. And, with the electric cutout, I can go from sweet LS harmony to totally obnoxious with the flip of a switch.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ah, yes. The catted y-pipe. That is what I would choose, as well.

So that leaves heat and clearance. If I understand it right, the tighter the headers tuck against the car, the more heat they transfer to things that aren't necessarily supposed to get that hot... (?)

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

With heat and clearance you can manage that easily. Dynomat and Fatmat are both high quality products.

I can't find any of my pics that I took when I did my carpet adn installed the FatMat. It has cut down on both heat and noise a lot.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Granted, we do not live in the sunshine state, but I have never felt heat radiating up through the floor of our car even when idling in traffic on a hot day.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, its not just the comfort that I'm concerned about, but also heat being transmitted to other parts that are not usually subject to that much heat (going off of what I've read, not any kind of actual first hand knowledge).

My car is a daily driver, with a 55-mile one-way commute, plus whatever other driving I happen to want to do to wherever I want to go. Once or twice a year, I have to drive it about 1/4 mile onto and off of a dirt/gravel road... not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    With heat and clearance you can manage that easily. Dynomat and Fatmat are both high quality products.

I can't find any of my pics that I took when I did my carpet adn installed the FatMat. It has cut down on both heat and noise a lot.
    I would love to see how to fix the clearance issue, you can see my catted y from about 20 or so feet away from my car

Thread Information