pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Tell me the GOOD the BAD and the Ugly of headers.

I want to get headers for my 99 TA,but I need to know something before I get them.(1) Will they really give more horsepower (2) How low will they hang. (3) How hard are they to put on. (4) Will A mail order tune work if I put on the headers? (5) Will I be able to feel the added power? I know there are a lot questions being asked, but I need to know. I plan on gettig them from Texas speed & Performance. Coated with catted ypipe.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I actually picked up my headers from Texas Speed, and I'm very happy with them. The positives are that you will get a good amount of horsepower with them, you will certainly be able to tell a difference and your car will pull alot stronger, the mail order tune from frost will work fine. Installation is the only bad part about it, its a pain in the @$$, but well worth it. I installed mine myself, but it'd be a little easier if you grab a buddy and have them help you out. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!

Black
    99 Silverado

1) yes
    2) depends on the brand
    3) depends on your ability... no in my opinion
    4) yes
    5) yes

In my opinion, it is worth it to pay more for a good set of stainless headers like Kooks or ARH... I know they cost more, but they fit better and last forever. Coated headers aren't all that sellers would like you to believe they are... The coating cracks, peels and they headers start rusting in no time. Just my 2 cents...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ditto on coated headers rusting, get stainless if you can. Yes they add power but they are also necesary to get the optimum power from other mods such as a cam and head swap. You may gain say 25rwhp from long tubes on a stock internal LS1. If you were to do a head and cam swap without doing headers first, then added the headers you may get double that.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

+1 on everything these guys said. I got Pacesetters from TSP. The only thing I would have done different is get something in stainless but then again I got mine with all the EGR connections. When I do my H/C/I, I'll do non-EGR stainless headers. The pacesetters were not hard to install. I did it with hand tools in a single car garage with a 2 ton jack and 2 jack stands.

I don't know what tune up stuff you've done to your car but you see a lot of people recommending changing the spark plugs while you're in there...it's certainly easier.
    Y2K SS A4 Y2Y GU5: 12.96@106-SLP FLO PAC|P&P Stock TB | Pacesetter LT's | TSP Rumbler X Duals | B&M Trans Cooler | Rear Tubular LCA's w/ Relocation Brackets | Tubular PHB | SFC's | Diablo Sport Tuning

Yellow
    2002 CETA

I got my Pacesetter coated header too from Texas Speed. Also their Off road Y-Pipe.

The only thing I really wish I would have done is get the non emission headers. I do not like how tight one of the plug wires are, plus when I got my tune from Frost, they tune out that type of stuff. Definately get the tune. It makess the car so much more fun to drive if you have an automatic.

Don
    Last edited by donman; 10-07-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    2002 CETA - ASC# 0008 - 9-7-2001 | Pacesetter LT| TSP ORY| Magnaflow CB | Poly M-Mounts | ASA Cam | 3600 stall | Tuned By Frost <mail order>

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thanks to all that gave there side to the install of headers ,all sounds good.I guess i'll be getting headers and a tune.Who is this Frost guy you all are talking about ? and how do I get in touch with him when I get ready to do the headers?

Black
    99 Silverado

Frost is the sponsor of the tuning section on here...

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Im not the smartest on cars and i just did my lts, all my self.
    IMHO tsp y pipes are junk and do not good at all (i did ory) i dont know if it would be anydifferent, its been about a month since i have had them on and have gone through 2 o2 sensors.
    i think for the clearance part if you get them welded they clear pretty good.
    but im still working with some rattle in the exhaust.

power and sound is defiantly worth it tho

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Why pay more for the coated headers if they are flaking after a year or a few months. And the knocking that I hear about is something that I can do without.How can I stop it in it's tracks?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysZ28 View Post
    I actually picked up my headers from Texas Speed, and I'm very happy with them. The positives are that you will get a good amount of horsepower with them, you will certainly be able to tell a difference and your car will pull alot stronger, the mail order tune from frost will work fine. Installation is the only bad part about it, its a pain in the @$$, but well worth it. I installed mine myself, but it'd be a little easier if you grab a buddy and have them help you out. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!
    Way to go Daddy!! Be a man and do the work yourself!! I did and it wasn't that difficult. Patience is key......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

BTW, we all know the saying: "You get what you pay for"....So,if you want your install to go relatively well, go with Pacesetters for the most savings and quality. Trust me, I initially went with stainless ebayer's, and the fitment was a little pain because you have to grind down the k-member (driver's side) for them to fit right. Oh yeah and the welds on cheapy SS's usually break and you end up having to either take them off completely, or pay for an exhaust shop to reinforce the weak welds...... That was my experience............

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Additionally, there's a reason why coated headers cost more, because they work!!! They decrease under hood temps AND less heat means more power, reliability and less chance of overheating. Again, this has been my experience. Just my two cents...........

1998 ws6

And wait to see if your headers bang off your floor board...

seems to be very common but I don't see it discussed in length.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Any brand header can need a little clearancing on the k member. Clearances differ in the cars themselves, not the headers. Pacesetter guys have had to do this as well.

99white/ 78 blk&gold
    1999 30thTrans Am&78 T/A

i bought Hooker Super comps (coated) and had no clearance issues or problem installing them. lol of course i did mine while the heads were off. pulled it apart and set them in place before putting heads back on. worked like a champ!!!! have been on about 3 years and it gets driven almost every day. they are showing some signs on rust spots on the welds but not on the pipes. still wish i had of gone with stainless though..... so as a reference STAINLESS all the way.
    99 30th ann Trans Am WS6, AFR heads, hooker long tubes, comp cams581/592, chrome moly push rods, ARP head studs, all free WS6 mods, hurst shifter, lous short stick, several other mods and tuning 396RWHP, 385RWTQ.....changing intake and injectors next....

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

If emmisions isnt a problem then get an LS6 intake manifold and SS race style headers. You will be able to delte the AIR and the EGR all at once. Get your computer tuned by frost to delete the SES light and give you a few more ponies. This is an excellent mod you will not regret! I would also go true duals with an X pipe

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Everyone has different experiences installing their headers, but one of the most common is what a royal pain in the arse installing poly motor mounts. You want to limit the y-pipe hitting the floor- install poly mounts. It's a major pain, but it's worth it.

Thread Information