Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

switching from ls1 to ls6 intake

wut parts to i need to make the conversion from a 99 ls1 intake to 02 ls6 intake.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by dfillmore827 View Post
    wut parts to i need to make the conversion from a 99 ls1 intake to 02 ls6 intake.
    It depends where you get the intake, and what it comes with.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

ls6 intake off 02 ls1 SS is all i am getting.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You need plugs for the crossover tubes or you need to grind the intake to fit.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

You'll need new intake, and throttle body gaskets. And you'll need to delete the EGR valve/pipe.

Black
    99 Formula

Ive got a LS6 intake on my 98 and still have EGR. Kit came with the manifold.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

I used a complete coolant bypass kit that I got off of ebay. I think you can get them other places too. I did the AIR/EGR block off plates myself but you can get those, with gaskets, from the WS6 store. Had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. I tried to be very careful with the removal but I still broke it. Had to buy the socket for it, only used it once.

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

i have longtubes with no cats so i was gonna delete the egr entirely and buy the block off plates. ws6store had the coolant extension pipe and the block off plates and ill get the gaskets through work.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You don't need to buy any kits go 3 post down and it will show you where to chisel away the fins to make the stock coolant lines work
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...d-install.html

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by dparsons1968 View Post
    I used a complete coolant bypass kit that I got off of ebay. I think you can get them other places too. I did the AIR/EGR block off plates myself but you can get those, with gaskets, from the WS6 store. Had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. I tried to be very careful with the removal but I still broke it. Had to buy the socket for it, only used it once.
    Don't feel bad. I broke the oil pressure switch also. No idea how it happened, but when I started the engine, the idiot light came on, and the oil pressure gauge was fine, I knew what had happened.

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

thanx

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Don't feel bad. I broke the oil pressure switch also. No idea how it happened, but when I started the engine, the idiot light came on, and the oil pressure gauge was fine, I knew what had happened.
    The brake booster line originally goes behind the opsu, so when its pulled out 90% of us go oh yeah what's that?

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You don't need to buy any kits go 3 post down and it will show you where to chisel away the fins to make the stock coolant lines work
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...d-install.html
    Thanks for the link, you saved me $50. I didn't like the idea of removing the coolant lines to begin with.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by cuzimoto View Post
    Ive got a LS6 intake on my 98 and still have EGR. Kit came with the manifold.
    From my understanding, the ls6 does not have EGR...I thought that was only a 98-00 thing(ls1 intake)

NBM
    2002 Camaro

^^You are correct, but you can get a LS6 intake with EGR provisions through SLP.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    Thanks for the link, you saved me $50. I didn't like the idea of removing the coolant lines to begin with.
    If you need further swaying our lines supposedly cool better than later models have fun.
    P.S use duct tape to hold up the 4 back bolts no other way of doing it. And when it comes time to remove the manifold, there is a sensor that will need to be un plugged or the whole thing removed-I for get but I think you either push the whole unit away or towards you and the thing might just pop out w/o unplugging anything, and lift the hell out of that brakebooster line to avoid that opsu. So 2 sensors in the back all together.
    Last edited by c5z28; 03-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

If you need further swaying our lines supposedly cool better than later models have fun.
    P.S use duct tape to hold up the 4 back bolts no other way of doing it. And when it comes time to remove the manifold, there is a sensor that will need to be un plugged or the whole thing removed-I for get but I think you either push the whole unit away or towards you and the thing might just pop out w/o unplugging anything, and lift the hell out of that brakebooster line to avoid that opsu. So 2 sensors in the back all together.
    Thanks for the tips

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    You'll need new intake, and throttle body gaskets. And you'll need to delete the EGR valve/pipe.

you dont need a throttle body gasket..but i would suggest you do it right..get new intake manifold gaskets and get the ls6 coolant pipe and plugs...i noticed my car got to op temp MUCH faster then the old system..great for preventing extensive wear on parts during the warm up..and its easy..i would buy a opsu while your out...just in case. Everything you can get from ws6store and autozone

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you dont need a throttle body gasket..but i would suggest you do it right..get new intake manifold gaskets and get the ls6 coolant pipe and plugs...i noticed my car got to op temp MUCH faster then the old system..great for preventing extensive wear on parts during the warm up..and its easy..i would buy a opsu while your out...just in case. Everything you can get from ws6store and autozone
    Agree to disagree on the coolant pipes but I do agree find somewhere that sells the opsu ask if they give refunds and if you happen to not brake your opsu get a refund-better than waiting 2 days for shipping.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

oh and i almost forgot...use closepins to hold up the back three on the driver side and back two on the passenger side bolts...those close pins helped SOOOOO much..easy install..easy uninstall ..which is a must when your dealing with barely enough room to get a ratchet in....also make sure you get a deep socket 10mm and 8mm...10 mm will take out the 4 fuel rail bolts..the 8mm will take out those long ass manifold bolts another great trick if you dont like to wait for the car to cool down to work on..is get 2 spark plugs..and when you disconnect the coolant pipes from the TB..shove a SP in the hose..works perfectly oh and remember to write down the torque order of the bolts

Thread Information