Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

Super Sucker Ram Air System...

Has anyone installed this on the "SS". If so, is it worth the money? Let me know fellas...

Don't know what a super sucker system is,,,,but I've done the free ram air mod on both of our SS's and it showed a slight gain at the track.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/susuramairsc.html

Here's the link. I'm thinking its the same as the "free ram air mod" just wondering what what kind of gains it would make.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

By it straight from the manufacturer and save $40 over the previous post

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...kw=ssra&_sacat=

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

Thanks Fx... Your Maro looks great, by the way.
    Does that set up really make that much of a difference on performance? I looked into the free ram air mod but I don't really like having to cut anything on my car.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

All I can tell you is that I had the SLP ram air kit (similar to the SS) on my 2000 SS and it made a huge difference from 60 MPH+.

Quote Originally Posted by stv252003 View Post

Here's the link. I'm thinking its the same as the "free ram air mod" just wondering what what kind of gains it would make.

I'd just do the free ram air mod and leave it at that. I did install the SLP duct work on one of our SS's. It comes about half way down the radiator.
    On this car I did take it to the track and used duct tape to block off the free ramair,,,then made several passes using just the SS hood.
    Opening up the free ramair and making a few more passes, I did see an increase in MPH close to 1 mph consistently. So there was a slight gain.
    Quite honestly I think the free ramair mod alone would have gotten this,,,since the SLP duct work doesn't account for much in my opinion, not really low enough to grab alot of air.

So on our other SS I did the free ram air mod and just left it at that.

There has been alot of chatter on here about people hydro locking there engines after running through water. And I could see where that might be a problem when you install that SSRA because it's right on the ground. Lowered cars are especially suspect to this.
    I personally was never interested in getting the air intake that low, I got a gain at the track I was happy with as is,,, so I stick to the free ramair mod on one and the SLP on the other.
    I've never had a problem with water in what have been blinding downpoors and small puddles. Where I think the problem lies is where people are trying to drive through flooded roadways, something an F-body should have no part of in the first place. The lower air dam would act as a scoop if the water is high enough to catch it. Remember it's only maybe 4 inches off the ground with a stock ride height. So if you absolutely have to drive though flooded roadways it's something to keep in mind. We have flooded roads out here in Arizona,,,if I see one I just turn around. Find another way around or just stop at a local fast food joint, grab a drink and sit down, wait for the water to subside.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

Sounds like the free ram air mod would be a better choice.... Thanks guys

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I put the SSRA on my car. Big difference on the highway. This system gives you more power the faster you go. Helps a little with mpg once you get used to the deeper sound the engine makes from getting enough air.
    No problems with hydrolock, but I don't drive through puddles either.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

I've been really considering buying it and installing it, I really like the look of it and I don't mind a deeper sound. I guess I should just make a decision.....

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

I really like this kit....I've been looking for a way to keep my stock WS6 air box but improve it somehow. This will work on a T/A right?

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    I really like this kit....I've been looking for a way to keep my stock WS6 air box but improve it somehow. This will work on a T/A right?
    for your car i wouldnt do that. u have the ram air hood so use it. get the jaam ram air kit and remove the baffles from your hood. this made a huge difference for me on the highway and now u have a real ram air hood that actually works. im telling you..... the kick in the pants i get now when i stomp on it at 60mph is worth it all by itself.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Thanks for the idea, I was unaware that you could remove that piece inside the hood. That would help a lot, thanks

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I gained absolutely nothing from it, over the free ram air mod, on my old 2000 SS.

Sold it after two test & tune sessions proved it was worthless on my car.

Then again, a cutout was also a worthless mod (performance wise) on my car, so................take it for what it's worth.

Some people swear you'll get better mileage and 2/10ths from a ram air...I got zilch.
    Some people swear a cutout is the greatest thing since sliced bread...I got zilch.
    Some people swear a lot of high dollar suspension crap is needed to hook. all I had was MT drag radials and a Vig 3600 converter....

Weird car I guess.

Car was deadly consistent mid 11 second cam only car FWIW...

2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, 9" rear
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

Alot of internet chat. I didn't find anything with the duct work either, so the free ram air mod was good enough, and left it be.

You also hear how it's a bad idea for an SS car having air coming from 2 different directions. I never found that to be true either.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Thanks for the idea, I was unaware that you could remove that piece inside the hood. That would help a lot, thanks
    make sure u take out both the front baffles and the rear one. the rear one comes out by drilling out the rivets. the front one comes out by drilling out the front rivets, temporarily removing the front screens, and tugging at the baffles to break them free from the glue in there. then put the screens back in and ur good to go

Red
    2002 Camaro SS/ SLP

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    make sure u take out both the front baffles and the rear one. the rear one comes out by drilling out the rivets. the front one comes out by drilling out the front rivets, temporarily removing the front screens, and tugging at the baffles to break them free from the glue in there. then put the screens back in and ur good to go

You have any pics of that? My buddy has a TA and I'm sure he would be willing to do some free mods.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Thanks for the help

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

You have any pics of that? My buddy has a TA and I'm sure he would be willing to do some free mods.
    sorry man i didnt take any pics. its very easy though. just remove the screens, drill out all of the little rivets, the rear baffle comes right out, the front ones need to be pushed and tugged a little bit to break the glue and then they go out the same way the rear one did and then u just put the screens back in. the screens use a T-15 torx bit.

Thanks for the help
    no problem. let me know how u like it. just remember if theres a downpour outside, dont be going too fast on the highway because u dont want the airfilter to get wet

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

no problem. let me know how u like it. just remember if theres a downpour outside, dont be going too fast on the highway because u dont want the airfilter to get wet
    She doesn't go out in the rain anyway

Thread Information