Red
    1998 Trans Am

Straight pipe exaust

Looking into straight piping my 5.7L 98 t/a from the convertors back, doing it myself before I do this any suggestions or reccomendations? Iv never done exaust yet but seems lik a simple job

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hope you like the sound of a dump truck.

Black
    Trans am

dont do straight pipes. Whats sound loud and good at Spintech Super Pro Street , SLP Loudmouth I, or Flowmaster Super 10

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by My Slow Camaro View Post
    Hope you like the sound of a dump truck.
    I hear a lot of straight pipe cars at the track, I guess they like dump truck exhaust notes too. They sell dump truck kits , I think the call them cutouts or something. Must be a popular sound cause these companies still haven't gone out of business. But this is besides the point and in no way helpful towards wht the OP was asking.

OP you can find some good pics of how this can be done by researching some of the true dual threads. Since you are keeping your cats that will help quiet it down a little but not by much. There's a few vendors out there that sell true dual kits but they ain't cheap, if you have access to the required equipment and know what you're doing you can make your kit using the Kooks system design or going under the axel is probably the fastest and cheaper way to go but you'll lose some clearance. If you're looking for just a loud exaust then you could alwas keep your catback and run with a LM1 type system or install a E-cutout.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I once took the Sweet Thunders off my TSP System.. Wasn't any louder If you are doing it on a stock system (ie, Manifolds, Stock Cats and Straight Pipe out the back) I think it will sound raspy, however if you have Headers, Hi- Flow Cats and then straight out the back, it might sound good

black
    02 z28

you can also remove the exhaust from the I pipe to the muffler tips to get an idea of what it will sound like. I just did a muffler delete to mine. Definitely picked up a bit but the low rpm drone is not cool

98 Formula
    06 duramax

why not just put a cutout on? Without the electric portion of it you can get a cutout for $25 or so. Then you get the best of both worlds.....loud when you want it and quiet when you want it. If you're still on stock manifolds and cats it won't really be that loud opened up. It's when you go to headers and no cats that you'll have police issues if you run it open.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

if you have LTs go to a muffler shop and see if they can build you a decent y-pipe setup and get a borla bullet resignator. I would recomment x-pipe but for it being a trans am most T/A owners want there exhaust out the back and you would have to have an aftermarket upper panhard rod. dont straight pipe it, waste of time.

Thread Information