Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS (SLP)

Straight Exhaust?

I currently have a flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 2000 SS. When I had it installed I just had the old one cut out and the new one installed. I'm wanting something a bit louder and where I live noise isnt a problem with the police or anyone else. Im buying new tips (stainless rectangle z28 tips) and im considering cutting the flowmaster off and just having straight exhaist. Will this be TO loud? I love the sound of a SLP Loudmouth so how will it compare to it? Will I lose any power due to the backpressure?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Headers & ory will give you the sound you desire!

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS (SLP)

but the straight exhaust will cost me like 30 bucks...

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by joliver2 View Post
    heck do it. why not. when you have the money get something nicer with headers and ory

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS (SLP)

would it hurt my car to cut the cats off of it???

white
    94 camaro z28

would it hurt my car to cut the cats off of it???
    won't hurt it but it will need to be tuned to eliminate the code it'll throw.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS (SLP)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    won't hurt it but it will need to be tuned to eliminate the code it'll throw.

Well I have a programmer so that should be a easy fix. Im between cutting my flowmaster off, running straights out and keeping my cats vs. keeping my flowmaster and cutting off the cats. Which will have the better sound?

white
    94 camaro z28

Well I have a programmer so that should be a easy fix. Im between cutting my flowmaster off, running straights out and keeping my cats vs. keeping my flowmaster and cutting off the cats. Which will have the better sound?
    I love the sound without cats. but it's up to you. emissions are a problem you know

white
    2002 B4C

I have a flowmaster with hedders, just gutted the cats and it sounds horrible! Just my opinion. I'd keep the cats and stock exhaust manifold, just cut the flowmaster out and see what you think.

10's N/A

I currently have a flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 2000 SS. When I had it installed I just had the old one cut out and the new one installed. I'm wanting something a bit louder and where I live noise isnt a problem with the police or anyone else. Im buying new tips (stainless rectangle z28 tips) and im considering cutting the flowmaster off and just having straight exhaist. Will this be TO loud? I love the sound of a SLP Loudmouth so how will it compare to it? Will I lose any power due to the backpressure?
    IMO, it will be too loud. I've heard LS1's with straight pipes and it's pretty ridiculous. Louder than a LM1 system, plus it will have A LOT of interior noise. But it's your opinion that counts.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I was thinking about removing my flowmaster (90 series)... and i know that when i had my exhaust off after the y pipe it lost quite a bit of power (or at least it felt like it, i never dynoed it)... so if i were to run straight pipes back to the rear bumper would it still feel like it has a loss of power?

white
    2002 B4C

Sure feels that way for me.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    IMO, it will be too loud. I've heard LS1's with straight pipes and it's pretty ridiculous. Louder than a LM1 system, plus it will have A LOT of interior noise. But it's your opinion that counts.
    I have Lt's, no cats, and straight pipes and it sounds like a fuckin garbage truck! Under harder acceleration it sounds ok, but at low speeds/rpm it sounds like shit. Running open is louder but sounds better IMO. You will also have no ground clearance unless you have a tubing bender.

I'm getting mine bent and tucked up, and mufflers next week.

hugger orange

on my 04 goat I have pacesetter longtubes ($450), 3" Summit brand bullet mufflers($18 each) and 2, 3" pipes($74 including the bends) bent and dumping out the sideskirts right in front of the back tires. the mufflers change the tone but really don't quiet it down much. its loud as hell ( I love it) but mite not be for everyone.
    I hope my $.02 helped

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I have pacesetter lt too with the ory then a cut out and man i love that sound but a wot it a little too much i guess because it still bangs my floor board.

I would suggest a cut out you can get it for like 35 bucks i believe, and that way you can have it open or closed...just my .02

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I have Lt's, no cats, and straight pipes and it sounds like a fuckin garbage truck! Under harder acceleration it sounds ok, but at low speeds/rpm it sounds like shit. Running open is louder but sounds better IMO. You will also have no ground clearance unless you have a tubing bender.

I'm getting mine bent and tucked up, and mufflers next week.
    Mufflers sound much better to me, plus they produce better low-speed power over straight pipes IMO - regardless of what anyone says. I'm fine with my E-cutout so I can have it loud when I wan't to, vice versa.

Black
    2005 GTO

Don't just cut off your muffler it will sound like crap trust me I know.

I had a similair idea as yours. My setup was mac mids, cats, cutout then hooker catback. Since I put the cutout on over 3 years ago I think I've closed it 3 times all for long highway trips. As you I wanted it to be even louder so I decided to take the catback off right were the muffer bolts up in the back I also had the cutout open. Did that drove it around and it sounded like crap really raspy and like a old beat up pickup with glasspacks. It also felt really weak like it lost alot of low end torque. I started thinking and realized that the cutout blockoff plate is the exact same size for the spot where the muffler bolts up so I put the block off on that. This is the sound I acieved. It's alot like just a cutout but at the same time its deeper and meaner sounding.

Shoot I totally mis read your post, thought it said you already had a cutout. Since you don't just do that cost only $30 and sounds way better than just cut off pipes.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS (SLP)

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Don't just cut off your muffler it will sound like crap trust me I know.

I had a similair idea as yours. My setup was mac mids, cats, cutout then hooker catback. Since I put the cutout on over 3 years ago I think I've closed it 3 times all for long highway trips. As you I wanted it to be even louder so I decided to take the catback off right were the muffer bolts up in the back I also had the cutout open. Did that drove it around and it sounded like crap really raspy and like a old beat up pickup with glasspacks. It also felt really weak like it lost alot of low end torque. I started thinking and realized that the cutout blockoff plate is the exact same size for the spot where the muffler bolts up so I put the block off on that. This is the sound I acieved. It's alot like just a cutout but at the same time its deeper and meaner sounding.

Shoot I totally mis read your post, thought it said you already had a cutout. Since you don't just do that cost only $30 and sounds way better than just cut off pipes.
    I have heard everyone on here talk about cut outs but I totally have no idea what one is. Can someone please enlighten me,,

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Just a inline exhaust cutout. Open it up maually or electrically and you have a open exhaust. Google it and you'll see one and instantly understand.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Mufflers sound much better to me, plus they produce better low-speed power over straight pipes IMO - regardless of what anyone says. I'm fine with my E-cutout so I can have it loud when I wan't to, vice versa.
    I totally agree and my car sounds like a piece of ass right now haha. Still deciding between flow(non)master 1 cambers or magnaflows...

And mine lost low end power, but it is also not tuned yet. I'm prolly gonna go with cheapo summit cutouts and then buy the e-cutout for instant revving at ass hole drivers

Thread Information