Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

stock exhaust size

Hey guys, I haven't been able to see my car in a few days so I can't go measure myself. I have been searching the web for days and I can't get a straight answer. Can someone tell me what the size of the inlet and outlets are on a stock muffler? I assume it would be the same size as the I-pipe and tail pipes. I am looking to get a muffler but i want to know exact so that I know if I need lapjoint clamps or butt joint clamps. There are so many mufflers and sizes out there and it would be a huge help. I am looking at magnaflow and hooker cause that seems to be the consensus on the best and and well priced muffler. Thanks folks.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think magna flow sells a direct fit model. I know Blowmaster does, so you could just look at that to get the sizes

It would vary depending on whether your car came with the optional SLP upgraded exhaust or not.

On a factory GM setup I'm pretty sure the tail pipes would be 2 1/4 inch.
    The I-pipe is usually 2 3/4 inch. This may have varied as well from year to year.

On the optional dual/dual or dual/dual with CME you got the 3 inch I-pipe and 2 1/2 inch tail pipes,,,,,just like any other 3 inch aftermarket catback.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    I think magna flow sells a direct fit model. I know Blowmaster does, so you could just look at that to get the sizes
    I tried both the websites and they will not tell you the muffler size on the catback and none say direct replacement for the mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It would vary depending on whether your car came with the optional SLP upgraded exhaust or not.

On a factory GM setup I'm pretty sure the tail pipes would be 2 1/4 inch.
    The I-pipe is usually 2 3/4 inch. This may have varied as well from year to year.

On the optional dual/dual or dual/dual with CME you got the 3 inch I-pipe and 2 1/2 inch tail pipes,,,,,just like any other 3 inch aftermarket catback.
    I checked my window sticker and I didn't see anything about an upgraded exhaust, as far as i know it is just a stock trans am

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    I tried both the websites and they will not tell you the muffler size on the catback and none say direct replacement for the mufflers

I checked my window sticker and I didn't see anything about an upgraded exhaust, as far as i know it is just a stock trans am
    Ah okay. I'm not even aware that SLP even offered the exhaust on the TA's????? Did they??? I've only seen them on camaro's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I couldn't tell you that. you're pretty sure it was 2.75 inlet (i-pipe) and a 2.25 outlet (tailpipe) though. Anyone else?

Thread Information