Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

Stainless Works or GMMG

I was deadset on getting a GMMG exhaust until I found out that Stainless Works made a chambered exhaust as well. Here are my worries...
    -GMMG has 2.5" outlets which I dont like, SW is 3" all the way. Is GMMG's smaller outlets going to restrict flow?
    -Anyone heard a SW chambered exhaust?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would personally go with a GMMG. GMMG+LT's=sex. It sounds sooooo damn good. I dont know how much Stainless works will cost, but expect to pay around 800 for a GMMG (give or take)
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

White
    1998 Trans Am

GMMG sounds great my friend has it. The 2.5" is good enought depending on you HP you plan on running in the future. Stainless works makes good exhaust I have seen a regular kit and it fit well and sounded good, not like the chambered. Stainless works are easier to get I know everyone I have know to get GMMG kits wait. Stainless works are pretty much the same from what I have been told and alot easier to get your hands on.
    I was originally going chambered but it just didn't mesh with my plans for the cars use.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    99 Z-28

I wont have a problem getting a GMMG Exhaust... HawksThirdGenParts.com claim they have 7 of them in stock... I hope they aren't selling a knockoff and lying to me. How does a GMMG fit? Also adding a CME to a GMMG doesnt add rasp or anything right?

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

My GMMG fit without any problems. Only issue I had was I couldn't get the optional tips to line up so each looked exactly the same. No matter what I did one is angled a little lower than the other. Looking back I should have probably returned them.

And people are right GMMG with Kooks doesn't get any better. My buddy has a 2010 Camaro with a full Kooks exhaust and it's pretty weak, a little louder than stock but still sounds like a kitten. I'd be pissed If I droped 2k for that.

White
    99 Z-28

Alright Kooks with GMMG it is then...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    Alright Kooks with GMMG it is then...
    Great choice

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I would personally go with a GMMG. GMMG+LT's=sex. It sounds sooooo damn good. I dont know how much Stainless works will cost, but expect to pay around 800 for a GMMG (give or take)
    Heard that combo in person and its almost as raspy as lm1
    It does sound really nice on stock manifolds

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Heard that combo in person and its almost as raspy as lm1
    It does sound really nice on stock manifolds
    I have had both combos, currently have LTs+GMMG, its not nearly as bad as LTs+LM1.

White
    99 Z-28

Now that makes me worry. I hate rasp more than anything. I plan on running 1 3/4 Kooks with a 3in Kooks ORY... I have listened to sound clips an such but I cant tell from them... Y2K, any other exhaust you have heard sound better than a GMMG with LTs. Or is GMMG still the best bet. I plan on going with a CME as well, CME is very important to me too.
    Wooderson (Dazed and Confused) "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fkin' muscle."

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Now that makes me worry. I hate rasp more than anything. I plan on running 1 3/4 Kooks with a 3in Kooks ORY... I have listened to sound clips an such but I cant tell from them... Y2K, any other exhaust you have heard sound better than a GMMG with LTs. Or is GMMG still the best bet. I plan on going with a CME as well, CME is very important to me too.
    I have had quite a few catbacks in my LS1 life. My favorite still is Borla. I wished I could still have my Borla but it wouldn't have worked with the CME. GMMG is good, it does have some rasp, but not anything like the machine gun, dump, farm truck sound of the loudmouth, long tubes and ORY.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I wont have a problem getting a GMMG Exhaust... HawksThirdGenParts.com claim they have 7 of them in stock... I hope they aren't selling a knockoff and lying to me. How does a GMMG fit? Also adding a CME to a GMMG doesnt add rasp or anything right?
    They aren't lying. I'm buying one of them. I'm actually about 20 minutes from them.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have had quite a few catbacks in my LS1 life. My favorite still is Borla. I wished I could still have my Borla but it wouldn't have worked with the CME. GMMG is good, it does have some rasp, but not anything like the machine gun, dump, farm truck sound of the loudmouth, long tubes and ORY.
    Have to disagree. Iv heard a loudmouth with QTP LT's, Q-tech y pipe (or w/e its called. The one with the 2 electric cut outs in place of the cats) into a borla XR1 and it sounded amazing. She was screaming,loud, and obnoxious. Wait a minute

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Have to disagree. Iv heard a loudmouth with QTP LT's, Q-tech y pipe (or w/e its called. The one with the 2 electric cut outs in place of the cats) into a borla XR1 and it sounded amazing. She was screaming,loud, and obnoxious. Wait a minute
    so your disagreeing and agreeing at the same time.

White
    99 Z-28

Ok well I was thinking... I am pretty sure the rasp comes form the radical bends in our catbacks not to mention the step down in size on the GMMG... Does a GMMG only rasp WOT? How does it sound around town and getting onto the interstate? I ask because I was thinking of electric cut-out in the I-Pipe somehwere for the track and those 5.0 Mustangs haha...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok well I was thinking... I am pretty sure the rasp comes form the radical bends in our catbacks not to mention the step down in size on the GMMG... Does a GMMG only rasp WOT? How does it sound around town and getting onto the interstate? I ask because I was thinking of electric cut-out in the I-Pipe somehwere for the track and those 5.0 Mustangs haha...
    If you run a good set of headers (QTP, KOOKS) into a GMMG system, NO ONE is gonna bother to even attempt to race you. Them pony's will run away from you. Snakes...might be a little differant.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Rasp can be dealt with a merge (flowmaster makes one). A true y-pipe will cause more rasp. A cutout isn't going to solve rasp problems it will make everything louder. The gmmg cruising on the freeway is actually really quite anything more-well you know. It sounds like you want the gmmg so just get it

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Whatever you do make sure you get a catted y pipe. Without cats, everything will be raspy.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

+2 to high flow cats. It cuts down on rasp. GMMG has the best sound.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    ill sell you the adjustable Borla cat-back of my '98 TA to you. no plates though, but no plate in the system either.

system probably isnt 'clean' enough for your standards though since the car was sitting for 5yrs...

Thread Information