White
    01 Camaro 6speed

stage 8 bolts for headers

well i purchased headers and i know without a good set of bolts they usually will loosen up and have to always tighten them every few days. Ive done alot of reading and heard they are a pain to install and require grinding to get them to fit right meaning the lock not the actual bolt. I also found out using the right type of gasket that crushes like Aluminum is a great way to go but i was thinking of using OEM headers gaskets brand new. What would you guys recommend ? what works and doesnt ?
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bought stage 8 bolts and never used the locks. They're just a pain in the ass to get on there and with the limited room we have in the bay it makes it a real chore. Now, imagine if you decide to take the headers off....you have to do it all over again. If I were doing it again I'd either re-use my stock bolts or buy new OEM bolts to use. Seems someone had an issue with the stock bolts being too long on a set of headers a while back. Not sure if that was an isolated incident or what.
    I would also just stick with the stock gaskets. They're a multi-layer steel gasket so they're very durable. I could've re-used my old gaskets they were still in such good shape but they're cheap so I just replaced them.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I used Stage 8 without the locks as well. The locks are a PIA like Orion said and my bolts have never really backed out on me. The GM gaskets are the way to go as well.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

i used stage 8 bolts and my kooks gasket is about 1/4 inch thick

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I used the Stage 8 bolts (no locks) and the stock GM gaskets.

black
    1999 T/A

i used the stage 8 bolts and a crush type mls gasket without the locks. they backed out so i put the locks on and it is a pain in the ass to do.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

i used a 1/4 inch socket set, just had to keep putting the lock on to get it right past the point where if it backs off the lock will then contact the header,put the round end of a combination wrench on the end of the ratchet for a little more leverage, once there in place put the lock in place then use a long screwdriver like a punch and tap the lock on, was easier than i figured, using 1/4 inch drive, you really cant put enough tq on it to break the bolts,,, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I bought stage 8 bolts and never used the locks. They're just a pain in the ass to get on there and with the limited room we have in the bay it makes it a real chore. Now, imagine if you decide to take the headers off....you have to do it all over again. If I were doing it again I'd either re-use my stock bolts or buy new OEM bolts to use. Seems someone had an issue with the stock bolts being too long on a set of headers a while back. Not sure if that was an isolated incident or what.
    I would also just stick with the stock gaskets. They're a multi-layer steel gasket so they're very durable. I could've re-used my old gaskets they were still in such good shape but they're cheap so I just replaced them.
    I had that problem recently. Bolts were too long for my wifes camaro. It appeared to snug the headers up but just not quite tight enough to prevent a pesky leak. Any tighter and I would have pulled threads. So the bolts had to come back out and I cut about 1/4 inch off. Reinstalled and no problems. Funny though I used the same brand setup on my camaro and it worked fine without cutting the bolts

As far as the locking bolts, I'm with Orion. I don't care for them and honestly have never found the need for them either. I only occasionally go around and check the bolts after the initial install. After 2-3 times that's about it. I go for years without issues.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I used Stage 8 bolts (no locks) and have had one back completely out on me, but thankfully I still had a stock bolt to put in there. Not sure what happened with the one, but the others have stayed fairly tight

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I used Stage 8 bolts (no locks) and have had one back completely out on me, but thankfully I still had a stock bolt to put in there. Not sure what happened with the one, but the others have stayed fairly tight
    Which one backed out Terry?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Which one backed out Terry?
    One of the middle ones on the passenger side, we must not have torqued it down as tight as the other ones, I've checked them many times since and they've never been more than maybe 1/4 turn out

Thread Information