Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

SS Dual Dual SLP Exhaust Question

I have seen these around for sale, how are they? I have heard quiet, but what about compared to my OEM single outlet driver side setup? Louder or Quieter? Also more hp or less than the single I have.

I am very surprised that the single outlet 98 ss exhaust is quite throaty. Not overly loud, but I like the sound. I just want to do an exhaust that adds performance but really isn't much louder than the oem, maybe a little.

My current plan is to find an OEM SLP Dual Dual setup, and install that with a quicktime electric cutout before it. I don't want to hack up my oem single outlet whatsoever, so a cutout is out of the question on that as far as I can tell. Any input? Thanks!

Black
    1969 Camaro SS

Got the dual/dual on 00 SS. Seems actually quieter than some singles I've heard.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Is there any horsepower gains from the dual dual SLP to my oem ss exhaust? Which would be better? Thanks a lot.

-JT

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

of course they'll be a gain. the slp dual/dual is rated at 10hp more than the stock dual exhaust. you said you only have a single exhaust (didnt know they even made v8's without the dual exhaust option). so you should certainly see a noticable increase.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

yeah pretty much the 98's had the same exhaust as other years, just only one pipe off the muffler on the drivers side. I am thinking a dual dual setup that is in good shape with an electric cutout before...I dunno, its either that or magnaflow with CME...Can't decide.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

If i was in your position i would pick the Magnaflow over the SLP any day.

Sounds awesome, great quality product with lifetime warranty and a great price
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I just don't want the annoyance at highway speeds I guess, kind of worried I won't like it or something. I don't want to be bothered by an overly loud exhaust, I know the Corsa has good sound in the car, just not sure about this magnaflow. Its a little tough to change too if you don't like it....

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Any performance that you may get out of the Dual/Dual would be wasted because the muffler is very heavy. I took mine off and threw it in the trash

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Any performance that you may get out of the Dual/Dual would be wasted because the muffler is very heavy. I took mine off and threw it in the trash
    Interesting, did not know that. Could I put a cutout in my stock y pipe without cutting up the oem catback? Thanks!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Interesting, did not know that. Could I put a cutout in my stock y pipe without cutting up the oem catback? Thanks!
    No. You are gonna have to make a cut or 2 somewhere

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    No. You are gonna have to make a cut or 2 somewhere
    What if I made 2 cuts before the catback? Then had the cutout welded in place of the removed section in the y pipe? I don't see why that wouldn't work.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    What if I made 2 cuts before the catback? Then had the cutout welded in place of the removed section in the y pipe? I don't see why that wouldn't work.
    You can put it anywhere you want.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

ok cool. Thanks for your help, I might do that:

Cut a section out of the stock y pipe, insert the cutout and electric cutout, and keep the factory look of a single exhaust pipe out the back. Will I have any problems with this setup? Thanks, any input on that would be great. I know there are two different cutout companies, qtp and the mike guy or whoever. Which is the best? thanks!

Pewter
    2002 camaro SS

I had the Single one on my 98 SS. Removed it for the SLP dual on Driver side that SLP had on the 96/97 SS. Loved It!!!! I want to add this Exhaust to my 02 SS, but Im unable to find this setup. can Someone help me???? My 98 Got totaled recently this is why i have an 02.

Also, Currently, I have a wierd exhaust on my 02, The exhaust is up in the muffler area and the pipe is unseen. What the hell is it??????? it seems that the exhaust pipe is facing downward. To date, I have never seen this type of Muffler.

Blog Entries

BLACK
    2014 SS/2SS/1LE RSCamaro

The dual is suppose to b 20 additional hp

Blog Entries

BLACK
    2014 SS/2SS/1LE RSCamaro

I just ordered Kooks LONG tubes and y catts,, anyone have those mounted and if so ,,how are they?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The `98 Single On The Left (SOTL) is one of the better flowing factory systems because it doesn't waste energy turning the exhaust around 180* inside the muffler.
    Flowmaster sells a kit #17143 that is similar but uses 3" tubing vs the factory 2.75" is also uses a 40 series 2 chamber muffler compared to he 80 series that is on their standad dual outlet F-body catbacks.
    Mufflex also sells 3.5 and 4" kits with tucked up SOTL outlets.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Would this 17143 sound about factory or what? My goal is to get an exhaust on my car that isn't overly loud with cme. Before the catback I want an electric cutout. Honestly performance and sound stock is fine with me, since I am going with the cutout.

I have been looking for a 99-02 oem dual setup that is in good shape. I don't want to hack up my sotl for the cutout. I also want to do cme.

Long story short- electric cutout to quiet catback to CME.

Thanks for the help!

black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    The `98 Single On The Left (SOTL) is one of the better flowing factory systems because it doesn't waste energy turning the exhaust around 180* inside the muffler.
    Flowmaster sells a kit #17143 that is similar but uses 3" tubing vs the factory 2.75" is also uses a 40 series 2 chamber muffler compared to he 80 series that is on their standad dual outlet F-body catbacks.
    Mufflex also sells 3.5 and 4" kits with tucked up SOTL outlets.
    I just went to Flowmaster's website and searched part # 17143. It says it is for '93 -95 camaros. And it IS that crappy flowing (but good sounding) 80 series muffler, not the 40 series like you just stated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapinbye View Post
    I just went to Flowmaster's website and searched part # 17143. It says it is for '93 -95 camaros. And it IS that crappy flowing (but good sounding) 80 series muffler, not the 40 series like you just stated.
    Sorry for the typo it's should be 17134, it is a single outlet system for 95-97 LT1's with dual cats but it will work on LS1 cars cause the Y pipe ends in the same location. I have had this system on my car for 7 years now and I still love the sound. It's relatively quiet around town and at idle but aggressive at WOT.
    Most people put the cutout at the end of the over the axle tube before the muffler.

Thread Information