Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Squealing pulley?

I have a really loud squealing going on under the hood, I know its not a belt so im guessing its a pulley. Does any one have any idea which one it would be or a good Idea which one it is, I know theres only 2 with bearings so if someone could help me out it would be great. Its driving me NUTS

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Well If you eliminated the belt now you have too narrow it down, Does it only do it wit the ac on, when you turn, so forth and so on. Start the car, pop the hood and listen too see where its comin from, the most common are the tensioner pulley and the ac pulley.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

my tensioner does it some colder damp mornings until the engine bay gets all cozy.!!! I occasionally give it a spray of GREASELESS SILICONE. Works good, depending on how dirty your bay is.........
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 09-05-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

chameleon
    98 T/A

i know this is going to sound weird but right when my water pump started leaking a little it sqeeled

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

i sprayed some wd 40 on a lower pulley on the inside belt, it stopped for now maybe I need a new pulley?

BGM
    1998 Z28

I'll have you know I made 3 quick posts just so I could make the 5 post minimum required to post a link.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461523

red
    1998 trans am

I've had something squealing very loudly under the hood for 5 years now... dunno if it's the tensioner or an accessory but I've been waiting for it to break for a loooong time. Not sure what it is. Next time I run over my garden hose with a lawnmower, I'll cut off about 3 ft of hose, stick one end near each accessory and pulley, and listen in the other end. That should let me figure out which one it is.

Until then I figure if it's lasted 5 years after the dealer told me I'd be walking by the end of the week, I'm good to wait a bit longer.

tensioner, mine has sounded like a freight train for 2 years now.

red
    1998 trans am

How hard are those to replace? (tensioner)

BGM
    1998 Z28

Easy to pop them right off, I think 3 are 13mm hex bolts. One of the ones on the bottom is a Torx, so you need the proper socket and you must dig out any dirt in the Torx hole so socket gets a full bite or you will round it out.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Idler/Tensioner pulleys are likely culprits. Same thing has happened on three of my vehicles. Last one I changed was on my dad's Taurus. Make sure you get the torque right. I didn't tighten it enough (scared about stripping the mounting threads) and had to get a new one. I can look it up in my Chilton's if you need it.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I like how all of you are waiting for the bearings to seize in the squealing pulleys and pop the belt and tear shit up under your hoods. Thats some good ole Georgy Porgy Bush thinking right there. OK, if you have any kind squealing the best thing to do is take the belt off, while the motor is cool and of course not running, and you can spin the pulleys by hand. If a pulley is going bad, you will hear a low grinding noise, this means the bearings are wearing out. You might not hear it when it rains outside because moisture gets onto the brearings and quiets them. And belt dressing and spraying WD40 on it is only something to make you feel better. If your belt sqeaks its too lose. Everyone on here that has been waiting years to change it is EXTREMELY lucky and loves taking chances. FUCK THAT!! Thats like wipping your ass with a cactus and hopeing you dount get stuck. Let me ask you this, lets say you are the unlucky one, would you like to be going down the highway at about 80mph and have your belt snap and get wrapped between your crank pulley and block? YEAHHH EXITING, FUCKIN' MOUNTAIN DEW EXTREEMMEEEE!!! ARGG. So if you like, you can wait like these guys, or fix your problem. If you are ever riding around and wonder why you are always smelling rubber burning, and you are not spinning the tires, the pulley has ceased and the belt is just sliding across it.

chameleon
    98 T/A

he said its like wipeing your ass with a cactus ha ha ha

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

does anyone know the part number for the pulley with the torx screw in it? Thanks

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

the screw might come with the pulley, give chevy dealership a call

67 Camaro 79 TA 02 WS6 TA

check out a similar post on this page (Bearing in pulley squealing ) Read reply # 5 for a bearing install.

red
    1998 trans am

I asked the service guys to look for the squeaking pulley while he was working on the fuel pump replacement, and they couldn't hear anything wrong. That's why I've been running it like that for 5 years... Sometimes it is very loud, sometimes it doesn't squeak at all.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

That's cool. Just keep waiting and when it seizes and pops the belt, you'll definitely know which one it was. It will look like a melted ball of shit sitting on the screw. But it might not be a pulley at all, it may be something else. But understanding the stress a sports car is under compared to normal cars, you might want to put forth the effort and find what it is. BUT, if it's a Ford, don't worry about the squeaking, just be thrilled the bitch starts more than twice in a row, or starts at all without a raindance, a prayer and rubbing it's balls.

red
    1998 trans am

You're kinda funny Red Chevy

It's not that you're wrong, but the way you express yourself makes me laugh instead of going "yea you're right".

I'm in Korea and my car is in TX, so there isn't much I can do at this point. The service guy said that nothing is squeaking so there isn't anything he can do to "fix" it. I'm not going to have him run the car every day waiting for the temperature or humidity to hit that magic balance where the pulley starts squeaking, so nothing will be done until it squeaks at a time when I can pop the hood, stick a section of garden hose in there, and figure out for sure what's making the noise. I'm certainly not going to randomly start replacing parts because they used to make noise sometimes... Yea I should have replaced it 5 years ago when it first started squeaking but since it's apparently not making any noise now, and nobody who can do anything about it has ever heard it make that noise, replacing pulleys at semi-random is just throwing away money and time/effort.

Hell, if I wanted to throw money at the car I'd start by replacing all the radiator hoses. The big ones collapse when the car cools down, and once they start doing that it's only a matter of time before they leak or burst. The dealer wants almost $900 for a new set of hoses, so it'll have to wait until I can do it myself. The same goes for the belt and all the fluids.

For that matter, the low-pressure return on the power steering rack has a leaky seal so the car requires a little more effort to turn the wheel than it should, and once every couple of months, right after engine start the steering will will "grab" for a sec at dead center when turning out of the garage or parking spot. But it's been doing that for almost 7 years now and I've autocrossed it for 3 seasons with no ill effects. Even experienced f-body autocrossers don't notice a thing with the steering, so I'm not going to do anything but monitor the quality of the PS fluid and refill/replace as necessary. My stock painted alloy wheels show signs of corrosion, and it's a toss-up if the corrosion is causing cracks that could make a wheel fall off. My rear pinion seal was leaking and was fixed under warranty, and there is a tiny bit of visible oil there so I suppose I could get that replaced again too. The rear diff squeaks badly when turning right at low speeds, but it tests out within factory specs and the diff oil has the right amount of additive in it. Should I toss that out too?

I could easily put $5000 in repair into the car if I replaced every little thing that doesn't always work 100% perfectly, even if I did all the work myself. As the blue book value of the car isn't much more than that, at some point I'd be better off finding a low-mileage '02 and replacing the whole car. Or just buy that new vette I've been looking at.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Yep! The funny thing about cars is, they almost NEVER make the noise when the service technician has it. Makes you think they know whats up. And you definitely dont want to guess at whats wrong, that cost too much. And what do you call low mileage?

Thread Information