Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Spark plugs

I have an 02 WS6 and going to change spark plugs every thing is stock wanted to ask would you go with stock or a hotter plug

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

ac delco irridium....ftw

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .054".

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .054".
    You should go with these

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

^^^ +1

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    ac delco irridium....ftw
    I use these in everything I own (car wise) I like them, and been using them for years.. One will change wires more times than they will change their iridium plugs.. I 've heard good things about the NGK tr55's but not enough to switch to a copper core plug..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I use these in everything I own (car wise) I like them, and been using them for years.. One will change wires more times than they will change their iridium plugs.. I 've heard good things about the NGK tr55's but not enough to switch to a copper core plug..
    i put them in my formula and it made a notable difference. pulled em out 6 mths later and still looked great. of course they were a little pricey at $7 each..but oh well.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    i put them in my formula and it made a notable difference. pulled em out 6 mths later and still looked great. of course they were a little pricey at $7 each..but oh well.
    They're a 100k plug I pulled the originals out @ 80k and they looked like new (aside from discoloring from use). Replaced with same set and then a set for the TDC. Changing the plugs on a TDC rivals the f-bod LS1 in difficulty... I did'nt want to have to change them alot..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

They're a 100k plug I pulled the originals out @ 80k and they looked like new (aside from discoloring from use). Replaced with same set and then a set for the TDC. Changing the plugs on a TDC rivals the f-bod LS1 in difficulty... I did'nt want to have to change them alot..

I agree -- my stock plugs looked great after 73,000 miles. I still went with the TR55's as I will never leave a plug in a motor for that long irrespective of its intended life (we purchased the car with 71,000 miles on it). The plugs aren't that bad to do if you remove the coil packs and go get the infamous number 8 from beneath the car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I agree -- my stock plugs looked great after 73,000 miles. I still went with the TR55's as I will never leave a plug in a motor for that long irrespective of its intended life (we purchased the car with 71,000 miles on it). The plugs aren't that bad to do if you remove the coil packs and go get the infamous number 8 from beneath the car.
    they're no easier on my 6er f-bod either lol, but the TDC? huh you'll either be trying to lean the motor, (TDC can't be tilted and pinned easily no dog bone loop for pinning the engine) or get out the tool sets cuz you'll be pulling the upper intake.. Or pulling off the cowl weather strip and using 90 feet of extensions to get down into the hemispherical heads where the plugs sit either way you'll be there a while ..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.

pewter
    99 trans am

well somehow a small friend of mine (happens to own a c5) got the #8 out from the top without lifting the motor...hes a wee little fella

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

not from me you wont

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    not from me you wont
    I believe your beast requires Denso's stock..

I agree, I just changed mine to the TR55's. They were not 7$ a piece though! Advance auto parts sold them to me for $2.49 each. BTW, good luck with the rear passenger plug, it's a son of a B$%CH to get to! Also, the owners manual calls for the plugs to be gapped at .060, not .054.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 > SS View Post
    I agree, I just changed mine to the TR55's. They were not 7$ a piece though! Advance auto parts sold them to me for $2.49 each. BTW, good luck with the rear passenger plug, it's a son of a B$%CH to get to! Also, the owners manual calls for the plugs to be gapped at .060, not .054.
    .054 = hotter spark. Just an fyi..

Iridiums pay for themselves after nearly 3 sets of Tr55's..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

On a side note, along with my statement above. Is labor, prolly also saving 6-8++ hours of labor total on three sets Tr55 changes as opposed to 1-2 hours every 2 or so years.. Unless you don't DD the car.. Even then Tr55's are not cost effective for the minor if any real performance gains. I think most people buy the Tr55 cuz they're cheap..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

ok due to any of my auto part stores not having NGK I bought the AC Delco's but question is what gap should I go with there the iridium plugs

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

.054 = hotter spark. Just an fyi..

Iridiums pay for themselves after nearly 3 sets of Tr55's..
    I agree about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, they are excellent.

However, I do not agree with your theory of .54 creating a "hotter" spark.

Spark gap is about the flame front and ignition system voltage. High voltage systems (such as the LS1 coil-over-plug system) can jump larger gaps due to the higher voltage. So by expanding the gap, you get more exposed flame between the electrodes, resulting in better combustion. A gap such as .060 is not possible with conventional distributor ignition systems, because the spark is not strong enough to jump such a large gap.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I agree about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, they are excellent.

However, I do not agree with your theory of .54 creating a "hotter" spark.

Spark gap is about the flame front and ignition system voltage. High voltage systems (such as the LS1 coil-over-plug system) can jump larger gaps due to the higher voltage. So by expanding the gap, you get more exposed flame between the electrodes, resulting in better combustion. A gap such as .060 is not possible with conventional distributor ignition systems, because the spark is not strong enough to jump such a large gap.

The difference between the two is .006" -- trivial imo. It was the recommended gap that I went with for the TR55's. As I often say on here, a person can do whatever they want with their own car. If they want to run Royal Purple, a K&N and WeaponX spark plugs, then go for it.

black
    1998 trans am

TR55 for the NA cars.

we have them less than $7 ea lol

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information