Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Spark plug wires write-up anyone?

So I recieved a set of Granatelli wires for a gift and was originally suspicious of their claim of "0" ohm resistance. On their website, they have a video of a Z06 gaining 11 HP/17 lb-ft torque and showed 0.10 ohm resistance. To test them myself, I went over A&A Corvette and with Andy's help, we tested Granatelli's wires against MSD's. For anyone that doesn't know of A&A Corvette, they are considered the best in LS1 tuning nationally. His Ohm resistance test showed 0.00 ohm resistance with the Granatelli's and 26 ohm resistance on the MSD's.

My question is, would you guys be interested in a write-up of spark plug wires? I have a few friends that work at shops where they can get me ahold of almost all spark plug wires there is for LS1's. The wires I remember is Accel, MSD, Taylor, Magnecor, Allen(?), and several others. I can grab my Granatelli's and stock wires to do a complete write-up on ohm resistance for each wire. All I'd need is an ohm tester, but I'd be willing to go out and buy one to add to the knowledge of LS1 parts since you guys have been there to help me out with any of my questions.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I think that experiement would be interesting and useful. I say go for it.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Would I get a sticky for it?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

IMO the wires on ls1's are so short the resistance doesn't matter...now on a lt1 or a distributor motor it's a diff story. But I did buy msd's...more for the build quality then ohms

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

IMO ohm resistance is the only way you could measure the extra HP you'd get from wires. I'm not about to pop in 8 sets of wires in an oven to see which one would last so I'd scratch that off. I haven't heard of someone complaining about crappy AF wires just yet, so I'd expect them to be quite the same. For RFI/EMI interference, is there a way I could measure that? Maybe put a portable radio right next to the wires while doing the tests?

Oh yea, and this test would be universal for those LT1 people and those w/ distributors where the wires wraps around the blocks, since all these companies make their longer wires out of the same material. I could calculate ohm resistance per ft.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    So I recieved a set of Granatelli wires for a gift and was originally suspicious of their claim of "0" ohm resistance. On their website, they have a video of a Z06 gaining 11 HP/17 lb-ft torque and showed 0.10 ohm resistance. To test them myself, I went over A&A Corvette and with Andy's help, we tested Granatelli's wires against MSD's. For anyone that doesn't know of A&A Corvette, they are considered the best in LS1 tuning nationally. His Ohm resistance test showed 0.00 ohm resistance with the Granatelli's and 26 ohm resistance on the MSD's.

My question is, would you guys be interested in a write-up of spark plug wires? I have a few friends that work at shops where they can get me ahold of almost all spark plug wires there is for LS1's. The wires I remember is Accel, MSD, Taylor, Magnecor, Allen(?), and several others. I can grab my Granatelli's and stock wires to do a complete write-up on ohm resistance for each wire. All I'd need is an ohm tester, but I'd be willing to go out and buy one to add to the knowledge of LS1 parts since you guys have been there to help me out with any of my questions.

I have re-searched this myth, tried it, and got the same results. You had left out what Hp gain you received from the Granatelli wires. You should of also just take a hand held radio with A.M. station setting coming in clear and no interferance. Since A.M. patterns are affected by ohm waves,Granatelli wires should of came in clear, instead of going to a LS1 tunning facility. Another thing you had left out is that they are stainless steel, and can take a beating from high temps! I own the wires I love them. I say go for it, but be detailed as possible about your right ups on products. Also include MSD only tested there wires with certain spark plug configurations, and Granatelli wires can accept all. Now can these wires hold up to 4 sec Funny cars, and what NHRA Pro does not use MSD? Good luck !

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Hmm...you gave no advice minus the A.M., just made it more confusing. I haven't installed the wires yet and I have no way in measuring HP gains. When I swap the wires the plugs are going too.

My personal opinion is MSD is over-rated. They are 2nd-best in my book so far, now lets see how they go against other wires.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

When I removed my factory wires I measured about 500 ohms compared to the MSD of about 25 ohms. I don't believe a horsepower increase unless the old wires or plugs had a problem delivering what the coil will put out. I like the red color and quality compared to a stock wire.

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Don't forget the Crane FireWire. Crane are 25 ohms per foot while MSD is 40-50 ohms per foot and Taylor is 50 ohms per foot.

Crane and MSD have a one year warranty while Taylor and Granatelli only have a 90 day warranty.
    Accel has a 5 year/50,000 mile or lifetime warranty depending on the wires.
    I can't find info on resistance for Bosch but they have a lifetime warranty.

Pertronix, at 500 ohms per foot has a 30 month warranty.
    Mallory, at 300 ohms per foot has a 90 day warranty.
    Moroso has 40 ohm per foot wires with a 90 day warranty.
    I'd like to see this. Don't forget the Crane FireWire. Crane are 25 ohms per foot while MSD is 40-50 ohms per foot and Taylor is 50 ohms per foot.

Nology makes a wire with a built in capacitor that has a lifetime warranty but they are very expensive.

Warranty may mean nothing to some people, but to others it could be the deciding factor. To me, a crappy warranty shows the manufacturer has little faith in their product.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Would you be willing to mail me a Crane wire for this test?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

11hp from wires?

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Hmm...you gave no advice minus the A.M., just made it more confusing. I haven't installed the wires yet and I have no way in measuring HP gains. When I swap the wires the plugs are going too.

My personal opinion is MSD is over-rated. They are 2nd-best in my book so far, now lets see how they go against other wires.
    Your all over the place kid! LOL. Good luck!
    Last edited by ramrod; 10-17-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Thread Information