Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Solid mounts for a daily driver?

My stock engine mounts have had enough. I am seriously considering spohn solid mounts. Does anyone on here run these in a street car? A daily driver?
    If you have these or other solid mounts in your 4th gen, please let me know of your experiences. I will be doing this over the winter, most likely after the 1st of the year.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have them on my T/A, and I drive her to work on nice days, and it's fine. I like having the motor tied directly to the k-member, no give and no power-loss though the mounts. It's also awesome to rev the car and have the car move on the suspension from the torque.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have a set of poly mounts to install. Just couldn't bring myself to go with solid mounts, although I do like the look of the UMI pieces: 1998-2002 GM F-Body LSX Solid Aluminum Motor Mounts [2323] - $129.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I have the Spohn solid mounts/poly trans mount in my car and I drive it every day, gotta say your car feels a lot more solid, and takes the turns better as well. The best thing about it is getting on it and feeling the vibrations of the motor. I don't mind it at all.

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

What is the difference between the poly and the solid mounts? Like what are the advantages of each? I'm sure mine are fine but I figured I'll put new ones in when I go to put my headers in this winter since everything will be apart and I'm not sure which ones to get. Thanks!

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1tacticalSOB View Post
    What is the difference between the poly and the solid mounts? Like what are the advantages of each? I'm sure mine are fine but I figured I'll put new ones in when I go to put my headers in this winter since everything will be apart and I'm not sure which ones to get. Thanks!
    The stock mounts look like this:

The top bart bolts to the stand with a bolt that runs through the center. The inside bushing is rubber in stock form.

Poly replacement motor mounts look like this:

You take the top part of the stock motor mount, drill out the rivots, replace the rubber with the poly, and bolt it back together using the supplied bolts. This is a great improvement over stock, and will prevent a little hp from being lost through the bushings.

This is the first type of solid motor mounts developed by Spohn:

It completely replaces the entire stock motor mount assembly. These will only work with stock k-members and Spohn k-members, because all other aftermarket k-members have the bottom part of the motor mount already welded to the k-member.

This is the second type of solid motor mounts:

This is a direct replacement for the stock upper mount and retains the stock lower mount. These types of mounts are sold by UMI, Spohn, and some others. These are very new to the market.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

The biggest advantage with Solid Motot Mounts is the retention of almost all power made, because none is lost through the rubber/poly bushings.

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

So you're saying that solid ones are better because you don't lose power through them but does your ride quality suffer substantially from these? Or is it not that noticeable?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1tacticalSOB View Post
    So you're saying that solid ones are better because you don't lose power through them but does your ride quality suffer substantially from these? Or is it not that noticeable?
    Substantially, no...the car itself vibrates slightly more...the rubber/poly dampens the motor from the rest of the car.

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go for the poly ones anyway. Does anyone have any tips for installing these that could help me out?

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

It sucks getting them to line up due to the Poly's being so much thicker than the stockers. Some say do one side at a time. I did mine when I had the heads off and it was a real bitch. Either do one side at a time or get one side in and loosen all the bolts as far as they will go to allow enough play to get the other side in. You have to put a jack under the motor, but put a piece of wood on it or you'll bust a hole in your oilpan.

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

Wow still a bitch even with the heads off. I thought it'd be a little better with just my headers off but I guess not. I do plan on doing just one at a time. I'm just gonna have to plan for an entire day I guess. Thanks

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Thanks for all the input. I will order the solid mounts shortly. Ill post a few pics once they are installed.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I am interested to see how you like them!! I am in this debate as well

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

i plan on putting in some solid aircraft aluminum ones. 90$ a set. should make my gto shake like a mo fo with the 598/605 lift cam in her.

I was going to do solid mounts but just decided on going with the polys. My decision was based on how easy it will be when I have to pull the trans to do the clutch. The solid mounts will make it a pain when trying to lower the trans to get the upper bell housing bolts. I think you would basically have to at least partially remove the solid mounts to get the trans to drop.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Mike396 View Post
    I was going to do solid mounts but just decided on going with the polys. My decision was based on how easy it will be when I have to pull the trans to do the clutch. The solid mounts will make it a pain when trying to lower the trans to get the upper bell housing bolts. I think you would basically have to at least partially remove the solid mounts to get the trans to drop.
    I have solids. How would you need to partially remove them to remove the transmission when they are attached to the member and engine?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Please do a dyno comparison between stock mounts and solid mounts and show me where youre losing HP ... ??? Sounds like ricer talk to me ... total BS

If anything, you take out a wee bit of driveline slack and a failure point (in the case of installing solid tower mounts) and induce a whole load of vibration into the chassis to get a bit more seat of your pants experience.

Its all about driveline slack vs. occupancy comfort.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 12-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I have solids. How would you need to partially remove them to remove the transmission when they are attached to the member and engine?
    You need to tilt the back of the engine downwards to be able to get to the top transmission bellhousing bolts and a solid (or near solid poly mount that give little slack) doesnt afford that

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    Please do a dyno comparison between stock mounts and solid mounts and show me where youre losing HP ... ??? Sounds like ricer talk to me ... total BS

If anything, you take out a wee bit of driveline slack and a failure point (in the case of installing solid tower mounts) and induce a whole load of vibration into the chassis to get a bit more seat of your pants experience.

Its all about driveline slack vs. occupancy comfort.
    after switching to just a poly trans mount, i noticed a major difference in the power being put to the ground when i stomped it....after i did the engine mounts, i realized i will never go back to factory style mounts.

Thread Information