Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

So I'm ordering my headers... what else do I need?

I'm about to order my coated pacesetter headers from speedinc.com that will include an ORY, 02 sims & extensions. I'm also ordering NKG TR 55 spark plugs with it. Do I need to replace the wires too? the one's I've seen are rather expensive.

I'd also figure I'd order some better header gaskets... probably a steele set right from GM. does anyone have any recommendations?

I've also heard that the clamps coming with the headers & y pipe will not be that great. any suggestions on that?

yellow
    2002 trans am

Those gm gaskets are probably the best you can get So get a pair. you can even use the ones already on there if there not screwed up. As for clamps you better get some 3 inch band clamps those ones that come with the pacesetters are junk u clams. better get acouple of them (3). You dont have to buy new plug wires you can just change them out when you get some money. But MSD wires are probably the best for your dollar. (65.00). But it is a good idea to put those plugs in while the headers are off. (tr55 are great). The only other thing i can think of is your y-pipe is going to bang against your floorboard and you'll hate it. so you could either by poly motor mounts or u could try this http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=54 The ls1 ypipe bump stop hanger. Its down towards the bottom.
    Other then that get the right tool jack your car in the air high enough and take your time.

oh you should use ur stock header bolts those pacesetter one are shitty. I know i have the same setup.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by jerry trans am View Post
    Those gm gaskets are probably the best you can get So get a pair. you can even use the ones already on there if there not screwed up. As for clamps you better get some 3 inch band clamps those ones that come with the pacesetters are junk u clams. better get acouple of them (3). You dont have to buy new plug wires you can just change them out when you get some money. But MSD wires are probably the best for your dollar. (65.00). But it is a good idea to put those plugs in while the headers are off. (tr55 are great). The only other thing i can think of is your y-pipe is going to bang against your floorboard and you'll hate it. so you could either by poly motor mounts or u could try this http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=54 The ls1 ypipe bump stop hanger. Its down towards the bottom.
    Other then that get the right tool jack your car in the air high enough and take your time.

oh you should use ur stock header bolts those pacesetter one are shitty. I know i have the same setup.

HOPE THIS HELPS
    I'll probably hold off on the wires then. I might be able to use a lift, which would help a lot. Would the stock header bolts really be better than the ones from pacesetter? i would think they'd be all rusty...

yellow
    2002 trans am

Yea just hold off on the wires you can change them out pretty easy when you get the money for new ones. As for the header bolts you can use the one that came with the kit. But i talke to a couple people befor i did mine and they told me just to clean up the stock one and use them again. But my car only had 18,xxx miles on it. If you want to use the ones from the pacesetter kit but make sure whatever you use get some antisize to put on them. and chech the bolts from time to time.
    ALSO BEFORE YOU TAKE THE STOCK BOLTS OUT SPRAY THEM WITH SOME PENITRATION OIL. yOU DON'T WHANT TO BREAK A BOLT OFF.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Yea just hold off on the wires you can change them out pretty easy when you get the money for new ones. As for the header bolts you can use the one that came with the kit. But i talke to a couple people befor i did mine and they told me just to clean up the stock one and use them again. But my car only had 18,xxx miles on it. If you want to use the ones from the pacesetter kit but make sure whatever you use get some antisize to put on them. and chech the bolts from time to time.
    ALSO BEFORE YOU TAKE THE STOCK BOLTS OUT SPRAY THEM WITH SOME PENITRATION OIL. yOU DON'T WHANT TO BREAK A BOLT OFF.
    Thanks man, i'm just gonna have to see what kind of shape my bolts are in. I have 69K on her, so i might just be able to clean them up

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

If you want to use the ones from the pacesetter kit but make sure whatever you use get some antisize to put on them. and chech the bolts from time to time.
    antiseize? dont you mean loctite? isnt the point to keep the bolts from unthreading once they're on there?

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    antiseize? dont you mean loctite? isnt the point to keep the bolts from unthreading once they're on there?
    you ALWAYS Use Antiseize on Aluminum Parts!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    you ALWAYS Use Antiseize on Aluminum Parts!
    I'm assuming Antiseize is some kind of fluid you put on the aluminum parts... so what exactly does it do?

yellow
    2002 trans am

NO don't use loctite. Use antiseize. I does excactly what it says it keeps the bolts from getting stuck in there and breakin off next time u go to change you headers or gasket.

Just use your factory bolts with washers and antiseize. (the pacesetter bolts will work 2 but the gasket is junk) Also when you tighten the headers down start with the middle bolt and work your way out. This will give u a better seal with your gasket.

Thread Information