Thread: Smooth Bellow

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Smooth Bellow

I have been looking through the threads for one about the smooth bellows but have only seen posts here and there about them. What I have read is that trimming the bellow is sometimes necessary. So here is mine situation. I have a MTI clear lid and with a SLP smooth bellow. I got the smooth bellow on and then put the tabs on the lid into the slots. When I went to push it down to secure the clips the lid wouldn't reach and started to crack. I have tried every different way of putting it on but it still never fits. Is this what people were talking about trimming the bellow or could my lid be defective? Has anyone else had this problem?

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

when i first did mine the clips were hard to clamp and the right one would come un done when i would give her some gas and the motor would flex. one day i just spent a while on it and got it right. try putting everything together but leave all the clamps all the way to the TB loose. then just keep playin with it till it gets right. also make sure that the lid is going on right. sometimes the front of the lid will try to go all the way over the lil lip in the airbox and cause it to not clamp down right. the lip on the air box in the middle should be infront of the lid. its like a lil channel to fit the edge of the lid in. hope this helps.
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DARK PHX View Post
    I have been looking through the threads for one about the smooth bellows but have only seen posts here and there about them. What I have read is that trimming the bellow is sometimes necessary. So here is mine situation. I have a MTI clear lid and with a SLP smooth bellow. I got the smooth bellow on and then put the tabs on the lid into the slots. When I went to push it down to secure the clips the lid wouldn't reach and started to crack. I have tried every different way of putting it on but it still never fits. Is this what people were talking about trimming the bellow or could my lid be defective? Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thats exactly why people trim their bellows, sounds like you need to as well.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Not sure about the SLP part. With the hardware store coupling (smooth bellows) just use a utility knife and some patience. You should have a decent fit in less than an hour. After the rubber gets heated in the engine compartment for a while it will begin to mold into shape and some of the fitment issues will lessen.

I used the SLP bellow with their lid as well. I didn't need to trim anything. It fit well enough, just took a little moving around etc...
    When I realized I didn't have the lip of the lid in the lower air box correctly as mentioned above, things went much smoother

Easiest way I find to remove and reinstall now is to keep the bellow, MAF and lid all attached, and just unclip the lid and remove one clamp from the bellow/throttle body connection. Unplug the MAF and lift off as an entire unit. It reinstalls in the same fassion lickity split.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I used the SLP bellow with their lid as well. I didn't need to trim anything. It fit well enough, just took a little moving around etc...
    When I realized I didn't have the lip of the lid in the lower air box correctly as mentioned above, things went much smoother

Easiest way I find to remove and reinstall now is to keep the bellow, MAF and lid all attached, and just unclip the lid and remove one clamp from the bellow/throttle body connection. Unplug the MAF and lift off as an entire unit. It reinstalls in the same fassion lickity split.
    I have the SLP bellow with the TSP lid. I had to trim a lot. The amount of trimming probably varies with each lid. I would assume with the SLP lid and bellow that would have the best fit without trimming since thats probably what they did their test fitting/design with.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have the SLP bellow with the TSP lid. I had to trim a lot. The amount of trimming probably varies with each lid. I would assume with the SLP lid and bellow that would have the best fit without trimming since thats probably what they did their test fitting/design with.
    Ya that was my thought as well. Probably why I got away without trimming. I do like those clear lids though, and have been wanting one.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ya that was my thought as well. Probably why I got away without trimming. I do like those clear lids though, and have been wanting one.
    Ditto, I have always liked and wanted a clear lid myself. If I get back into toying around with the Camaro engine bay, I still might get one. I have one bookmarked I saw a while back.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Ditto, I have always liked and wanted a clear lid myself. If I get back into toying around with the Camaro engine bay, I still might get one. I have one bookmarked I saw a while back.
    Thanks for everyones info. I gave up on the part and decided that i was going to buy a fast toys air lid come spring. If you are interested, I would be willing to sell it.

Did you cut on it??

Navy Blue Metallic

Did you cut on it??
    i didn't touch/cut/trim anything on the lid or bellow.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by DARK PHX View Post
    Thanks for everyones info. I gave up on the part and decided that i was going to buy a fast toys air lid come spring. If you are interested, I would be willing to sell it.
    imho ur not gonna be too happey with the ftp lid.its made from thin plastic that cracks very easy when stressed by engine flex. atleast 3 out of 5 that ive seen are cracked. but if u do end up going with it and selling ur mti, how much would you want for it???

Thread Information