Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Trans Am

smooth air below?

why exactly does this do, and i'm planning on getting an slp lid and K&N filter, is it worth an extra $50 to get this included with the deal?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

no....mainly a appearance mod, any claim they make on it is BS. It does look good though....save the money for some sub frame connectors

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

its a wste of money

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

If you must do the smooth bellow mod just go to Home Depot and buy th 3 inch Fernco connector. Thats what I did. Didnt really see any diffrence except it looked better than the stock bellow

redls1bird
    its not a "BS" mod, it just doesnt yeild a noticeable hp gain. anything that you can do to smooth out the airflow into the engine will help velocity which improves torque. also, smoother flow allows more air into the engine which supports high hp numbers later up the road. some mods arent keyplayers in performance, they just assist in making more hp.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by redls1bird
    its not a "BS" mod, it just doesnt yeild a noticeable hp gain. anything that you can do to smooth out the airflow into the engine will help velocity which improves torque. also, smoother flow allows more air into the engine which supports high hp numbers later up the road. some mods arent keyplayers in performance, they just assist in making more hp.
    Did I say it was a BS mod...take some reading comprehension classes...I said any claims they make on it is BS, like this from slp "straightening out air flow between the MAF sensor and throttle body for an increase of up to 6 horsepower". It's a appearance mod IMO...and I have one for that exact reason. If you want it to look pretty then get it....otherwise put the 60 bucks towards something else.

it is pretty much a waste of money if you buy the slp one instead of making your own....much better mods to put money towards

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by NE98LS1
    why exactly does this do, and i'm planning on getting an slp lid and K&N filter, is it worth an extra $50 to get this included with the deal?

slp lids have been rated by GMHTP mag as the best!

k&n or a paper filter, many people argue what is better! but it doesnt matter once you hit the track, cause for track passes it doesnt hurt to remove your filter!

smooth bellow, They are not BS and they do work for .5 to 2 HP, chalk them up as every little bit counts. A smooth bellow works by eliminating the accordian shape that is factory which in turn eliminates air turbulence, just like your new SLP lid will do. A smooth bellow might not be worth alot of hp but overtime with bigger mods and poweradders, every little thing like a smooth bellow helps.

As stated, dont waste your money on SLPs smooth bellow, for one $50.00 is a waste, two SLPs claims are a joke, and three go to menards or home depot and buy a 3" rubber fernco pipe in the plumbing isle. They cost under $4.

The install of the fernco may seem difficult but with a little trimming and stretching it will fit fine. Also the fernco does not have a large center rib in like the SLP.

For total intake performance that you can do cheap and feel in the ass meter

install the slp lid
    buy an oil based filter of your choice
    buy the fernco rubber pipe,

now the fun stuff. instruction can be found at ls1tech or install university!

cut a slot in the black plastic radiator support shroud under the filter.
    port your own throttle body (dremel and fine sandpaper)
    cut out the EGR in your TB too...
    and do the bumpstop mod, to allow your TB to open closer to wot.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

exaclty!!! smaller mods support larger mods!

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    port your own throttle body (dremel and fine sandpaper)
    Not recommended unless you know what you're doing...shaner does a good job at http://s2performance.net/

A smooth bellow might not be worth alot of hp but overtime with bigger mods and poweradders, every little thing like a smooth bellow helps.
    I agree with the every little bit helps and that some mods are supporting mods..pretty much common sense. But unless the poweradders that you're talking about is only nitrous....a smooth bellow is a waste, you'd have to ditch it with a blower/turbo anyway. Unless it's for appearance....a smooth bellow should be one of the lasts mods to do.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Not recommended unless you know what you're doing...shaner does a good job at http://s2performance.net/

I agree with the every little bit helps and that some mods are supporting mods..pretty much common sense. But unless the poweradders that you're talking about is only nitrous....a smooth bellow is a waste, you'd have to ditch it with a blower/turbo anyway. Unless it's for appearance....a smooth bellow should be one of the lasts mods to do.

its not hard to port your own TB, I am sure most people can figure it out, if not then yes shaner does make a good product.

UMM for less then $4 at menards for a fernco pipe to eliminate air turbulence, god damn I say thats a good cheap mod.

05 Wrangler

UMM for less then $4 at menards for a fernco pipe to eliminate air turbulence, god damn I say thats a good cheap mod.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

lol

black

that mod is a fuckin waste.
    i have yet to see anybody claim that they dropped a tenth at the track from a smooth bellows.
    as for the .5-2 rwhp gain, show me proof.
    no two dyno pulls are the same as is. waste of time and money if you ask me.
    as for how it looks, thats subjective. hell, some people may call it ricing out the engine bay.
    if a person is gonna do the bellows, they might as well further rice out the engine bay and get a strut tower brace, another useless mod.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 12-21-2005 at 03:52 PM.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

redls1bird
    Did I say it was a BS mod...take some reading comprehension classes...I said any claims they make on it is BS, like this from slp "straightening out air flow between the MAF sensor and throttle body for an increase of up to 6 horsepower". It's a appearance mod IMO...and I have one for that exact reason. If you want it to look pretty then get it....otherwise put the 60 bucks towards something else.

WOW does someone have a little built up hostility? did i direct anything towards you? or say you were a moron? i didnt quote you or anything, maybe you need some comprehension classes... All i said was that it is not a bs mod, also know as a junk mod, not worth it, useless etc. You need to relax buddy. Unfortunatley there is no TONE button on the internet to go along with responses. till one comes along, dont assume someone is trying to imply something...

silver
    1999 Trans Am

Well it is really a BS mod IMO....I had it just for looks but when I bought my Volant CAI it really caused more troubles than anything else and just went again with the stock one. I also have a ported and polished TB. Almost all serious drag racers guys run the stock one, that must tell you something right there I guess!

black

Quote Originally Posted by chaman
    Well it is really a BS mod IMO....I had it just for looks but when I bought my Volant CAI it really caused more troubles than anything else and just went again with the stock one. I also have a ported and polished TB. Almost all serious drag racers guys run the stock one, that must tell you something right there I guess!
    who are these big time drag racers??

05 Wrangler

i didnt quote you or anything, maybe you need some comprehension classes... All i said was that it is not a bs mod, also know as a junk mod, not worth it, useless etc. You need to relax buddy. Unfortunatley there is no TONE button on the internet to go along with responses. till one comes along, dont assume someone is trying to imply something...
    Really...wow, I was the only one that said BS in any of the posts above your post...and usually when you use quotation marks it means you're quoting someone. Here's what you said...not that it'll help much

This is you....hang in with me here, I know it's hard but follow the words

"its not a "BS" mod, it just doesnt yeild a noticeable hp gain." ...you quoted someone and I was the only one that said BS there buddy....and no there's not a tone button...but there is a scroll up button, try using it sometime.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 12-21-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Really...wow, I was the only one that said BS in any of the posts above your post...and usually when you use quotation marks it means you're quoting someone. Here's what you said...not that it'll help much

This is you....hang in with me here, I know it's hard but follow the words

"its not a "BS" mod, it just doesnt yeild a noticeable hp gain." ...you quoted someone and I was the only one that said BS there buddy....and no there's not a tone button...but there is a scroll up button, try using it sometime.
    I'm with you on this one

redls1bird
    hey, if your so worried about what others think or say that you need to be rude or hostile towards them, i feel sorry for you. if you were confused by my use or misuse of quotation marks, again, i am sorry. if i was going to imply that what you said was bs, then i would have put your whole statement in quotes.

Thread Information