Burgundy
    2000 Camaro Z28 V8 5.7L

Talking SLP Vs. K&N CAI (Considering performance and Hydrolock Risk)

Hello everyone, although I've been reading forums here for the last couple years, I'm a new member and excited to be here!

So, here's what I'm working with: A 2000 Camaro Z28 5.7L, 110,000miles. The only mods I have are Irridium spark plugs, Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust, and Magnaflow high-flow Cats.

I'm looking to install a Cold Air Intake on my car to compliment the Cat-back system I just put on in order to further increase the HP and improve the quality of the sound.

After drudging through multiple threads and reviews I think I'm going run with a K&N CAI or The SLP CAI package. However, I'm very concerned about hydrolocking my car with either of these options. So I'm wondering how realistic of a concern is this, and if one setup would render me more susceptible to hyrolocking to another. Perhaps going with the SLP package minus the scoop underneath the air box (Only the smooth bellows, lid, and filter) would be a good choice? Also, I'm wondering if the SLP smooth bellows are the same diameter as the stock bellows so I'll know whether or not I'll need to buy a new MAF sensor. I really appreciate any feedback guys, looking forward to speaking with you!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If your talking about that scoop thingy that tunnels the air flow into the filter the YES, you have a very realistic concern if you drive in the rain. Even more so if the car is lowered. The air damn is very effective in deflecting the air flow up into the radiator and if in deep enough a puddle water too.

You can use just the K&N air filter and still net the same "gains". just if you do jut remember to clean your MAF more often with MAF cleaner and make sure that filter is dry otherwise it can short out the maf if too much oil gets on it.

I still use WIX paper filters on mine. I have also did the air tray mod to get more flow for the filter too.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Burgundy
    2000 Camaro Z28 V8 5.7L

Nice setup man. Ok, got it, that's what I'll wind up doing - SLP CAI package minus the scoop. Thanks for the feedback! I've never heard of the air tray mod before.

So I actually went to an auto shop yesterday after posting this and spoke with an older mechanic who has been modding vehicles for more HP since the '80s. He recommended installing shorty headers before a CAI, claiming that if I was to put a CAI on at this point I might not see any gains and may even have a slower throttle response since the exhaust manifold is acting as a bottleneck. Any thoughts on this? Will shorty headers actually net a few ponies and will they make the exhaust sound better?

Navy Blue Metallic

SLP Vs. K&N CAI (Considering performance and Hydrolock Risk)

What state do you live in?

The best is always going to be long tube headers. Shorties may give a little gains but honestly not worth the cost unless you using them for turbo.

I asked about what state cause LT headers might not be an option.

Navy Blue Metallic

SLP Vs. K&N CAI (Considering performance and Hydrolock Risk)

If a bump in hp is what you're looking for I can suggest some mild bolt ons that will benefit but not break the bank or require full tuning.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If a bump in hp is what you're looking for I can suggest some mild bolt ons that will benefit but not break the bank or require full tuning.
    ^^^
    This. Go with he SLP Air Lid and smooth bellows (some will argue this one but it works for me). A good cat-back will help things too.

I also recommend a pcv oil catch can.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Burgundy
    2000 Camaro Z28 V8 5.7L

I'm in Minnesota, so I could get long tubes but I don't want to toss the high flow cats I JUST bought and had pit on with the magnaflow cat back exhaust.

The reason I kept the cats was because I didnt want it to be so loud that I couldn't hear myself speak inside the car. I'm very happy with the tone but wouldnt might a slight increase in volume and power.

Would I be able to have mid-length headers and still keep the cats, maybe move them back? Not sure if this is possible to do, I can't seem to find much information about mid length headers and fitment for my vehicle.

And as far as prioritization goes, I'm thinking headers (hopefully mid-length, but if not shorties) then SLP CAI package (except for scoop).

BTW will headers slightly increase the volume level and depth of the exhaust tone?

Navy Blue Metallic

You can get a CAT Y pipe, SLP sells them. They move the cats into the Y pipe so you can use LT Headers. If drone is an issue stay with Magnaflow over SLP or Rustmasters (Flowmasters) mufflers.

I installed FAT Mat sound and heat deadner in my car when I installed new carpet. World of difference.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

You can get a CAT Y pipe, SLP sells them. They move the cats into the Y pipe so you can use LT Headers. If drone is an issue stay with Magnaflow over SLP or Rustmasters (Flowmasters) mufflers.

I installed FAT Mat sound and heat deadner in my car when I installed new carpet. World of difference.
    I wouldn’t recommend LTs and (catted) Y pipes if he isn’t looking to do an (in person) tune because the sensors will take too long, and throw a code, which he would have to have the amount of time to wait for warm up, or delete the rear O2; both require time on a tuner.

Navy Blue Metallic

Frost mail order tune would fix all that and cost $125. It also includes some other tweaks that help bump the hp a little and improve shift points as well if auto.

For all basic mods excluding heads, cam, crank & higher stall convertors, Frost tunes are about the best you can get for the cost. Once you get into those 4, boost or add nitrous (over 100 shot) then you'll need a full tune. session.

Navy Blue Metallic

If he was to get a LS6 intake, along with the SLP lid, LT's and get a Frost tune he would have a nice bump for the $$ but not break the bank or get into the serious mods.

But from there he'll be getting into the piggy bank for the parts to get serious gains. If he's just wanting a good solid cruise around with a little pep but not get into the bottom end this is about as far as he could go. Cause from this point out it's all heads and bottom end stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic

I was looking in some of the past threads this weekend for a thread that showed the issue that the OP had asked about. A member on here a long, long while back had one of these and got bit when he went through a puddle and hydro-locked his motor. But I wasn't able to find it.

Burgundy
    2000 Camaro Z28 V8 5.7L

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm definitely going to go with the bellows and slp lid but as far as the other items, here's my situation:
    Just a couple of weeks ago I had both the magnaflow cat-back exhaust and magnaflow high flow cats installed so I don't want to replace either one of those (essentially throwing my money out) nut I do still want to improve the sound and performance of the car. Based on what I've read in other threads and your responses, headers seem like the best next step to take. The longer the better, but I can't get long tubes as I would have to get rod of the cats I just bought. Is it possible to use mid-length headers and retain the high-flow cats I just installed?

Burgundy
    2000 Camaro Z28 V8 5.7L

I almost forgot to mention, once I have the headers and CAI installed, I do plan on having it tuned, and tuning out the rear o2 sensors if necessary.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by RyShauDi View Post
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm definitely going to go with the bellows and slp lid but as far as the other items, here's my situation:
    Just a couple of weeks ago I had both the magnaflow cat-back exhaust and magnaflow high flow cats installed so I don't want to replace either one of those (essentially throwing my money out) nut I do still want to improve the sound and performance of the car. Based on what I've read in other threads and your responses, headers seem like the best next step to take. The longer the better, but I can't get long tubes as I would have to get rod of the cats I just bought. Is it possible to use mid-length headers and retain the high-flow cats I just installed?
    Oh you are in better situation then you think.

You can still use those Cats, a competent exhaust shop or welder can incorporate them into the ORY and still let you use LT headers. Only negative is just how low the CATS would hang down..

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Oh you are in better situation then you think.

You can still use those Cats, a competent exhaust shop or welder can incorporate them into the ORY and still let you use LT headers. Only negative is just how low the CATS would hang down..
    I had long tubes installed on mine, had the cats deleted and tuned out and eliminated and tuned out the rear O2 sensors as well. I went with 3" exhaust and Magnaflo mufflers. I absolutely love the sound and the added performance. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the pungent smell of the exhaust w/o the cats but I can live with that. Mine's also lowered a bit so I agree with Scott (above ), they would hang low. If ur not lowered then you might get away w/ it.
    '02 Black RamAir M6--Kooks LTH, Magnaflo, Lowered Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks, Tuned By Frost, K&N & SLP box, Smooth bellows, polished TB, Spohn perf. suspension, shock tower brace. UMI 3point SFC. Front & side splitters w/ canards. American Racing 18" wheels & Mich. Pilot SS titres
    '76 LagunaS3 - 355ci , 350 turbo, 3:55's

Navy Blue Metallic

same here. My solution for the smell is to just drive, faster is better

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

same here. My solution for the smell is to just drive, faster is better
    I have cats and it the car still has some smell to the exhaust, I wouldn’t be surprised if it has to do with sucking in oil from he PCV.

Thread Information